Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I'm not buying that tale either...

I had always believed Stirling claimed to be the "Gateway to the Highlands". Does it not stem from ye olden days when Stirling Castle was seen as the barrier between Highlands and Lowlands.

I had always believed Stirling claimed to be the "Gateway to the Highlands". Does it not stem from ye olden days when Stirling Castle was seen as the barrier between Highlands and Lowlands.

Of course, Stirling was the main crossing to the north. If you wanted to travel to the highlands with something that couldn't cross the hills or the river then Stirling Bridge it had to be, hence the big castle sitting on a rather nice Carboniferous volcanic plug looking over it and running the show.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

I have developed a reputation on P&B for being a bit of a sourpuss. In fact I'm very trusting and welcoming. I just think you're talking absolute shite. It never happened, did it?

It did as it happens. It was around the time of the lamentable Braveheart film, which perhaps explains the confusion. The weird thing is that you care enough to question it.

Nothing wrong with the film Braveheart, shortly after it came out I had to go to the USA for 2 weeks or so for busines/training/conference type shit...that film got me laid by impressionable yank wimmin more than once ;)

It did as it happens. It was around the time of the lamentable Braveheart film, which perhaps explains the confusion. The weird thing is that you care enough to question it.

I'm sticking with my original assessment - this didn't happen

I'll try to live with that. At least you haven't accused me of condoning wife beating, a small improvement on your usual bonhomie. rolleyes.gif

I don't remember that, but if I accused you of it I'm sure I had a good reason. It's not something I'd say lightly. Victim-blaming is sadly still endemic in our society, even if the last two years or so have seen a marked improvement.

My yearly Christmas cold. Does my fucking tits in. For 4 years now I have had a cold over Christmas day and sometimes into the New Year, I can avoid for months on end then the few days before Christmas I pick it up.

f**k you body!

iOS6.0.1! Just spent the last 2 hours trying to recover all the data from my wife's iPhone 4 that disappeared after it fucking updated to iOS6.0.1. I took a backup before updating, it reset itself to factory settings, tried to restore to backup, everything has fucking disappeared. Lucky I took a separate backup of her photos or there would be a divorce.

Didn't King George or somebody say the Highlands started at Greenock, possibly for taxation reasons? Or have I made that up?

You're probably talking about William Pitt (Prime Minister), who heavilly taxed highland whisky, and banned its sale in the lowlands during the reign of George III.

However it would have been at least above Stirling, not Greenock.

Edited by Todd_is_God

The important question has to be

Is Greenock on the west coast?

I've had this spat with VT on a couple of (maybe three) occasions. It's clearly on the west coast. Claiming that anything along the Firth of Clyde is exempt from the west coast is like saying that Banff isn't east coast because it's also on the Moray Coast (a section of the East Coast) or that Aberdeen isn't either because it's built on the shores of Aberdeen Bay which the Dee & Don run into.

Eventually self-knowingly defeated with the above, he then commonly back-tracks and and claims Greenock isn't on any coast but instead on on a river even though the area's called Inverclyde, 'Inver' meaning 'estuary' and an estuary being a coastal body of water which a river runs into. If he was an east coaster, he'd probably claim that Edinburgh or Bo'ness is not on the East Coast, instead being on the banks of the River Forth. Apparently Greenockians (or whatever they're called) refer to the water there as 'the River' and therefore the book has to be ripped up because of their collective idiocy.

Even if you take the de facto BBC Coast website (rolleyes.gif), it includes Glasgow & Govan (which is funnily enough technically correct as the tidal influence actually goes right up into the tidal weir at Glasgow Green). He then tries to laugh at the idea that Glasgow is also a city on the West Coast of Scotland. That's the usual script anyway.

Basically, never trust a historian with geography. Especially Neil Oliver.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Having to go to the Post Office tomorrow morning to pick up something, because whoever sent it hasn't paid the right postage! £1.50 it's going to cost me! mad.gif

It'll be a giant card, I bet. We got one for our wedding last year and the person that sent it had put a normal first class stamp on it. It was so large, they charged us for the extra postage before we could have it. Had we known it was just a card, we'd probably have left it given the excess charges cost more than the original postage!

1355949167[/url]' post='6907463']

It'll be a giant card, I bet. We got one for our wedding last year and the person that sent it had put a normal first class stamp on it. It was so large, they charged us for the extra postage before we could have it. Had we known it was just a card, we'd probably have left it given the excess charges cost more than the original postage!

They've charged a £1 handling fee! No one in my family is admitting to sending it either. Intriguing.