Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Halfwits in norway that send you an email about work at 1 am in the morning(my time) and send you another one asking for an answer most urgent,think ill phone the p***k at around 4 am his time with the answer

If we only post about things that are our business we'd be as well closing P&B now.

I try very hard not to be sexist but tattoos are the one area I struggle with. A tattoo on a 60/70/80 year old man doesn't look too bad but in years to come there are going to be a lot of women in these age groups with terrible looking, and in some cases extensive, tattoos.

I've got a number of tattoos, as does my wife, so I'm naturally inclined to disagree with you (and of course, I also disagree with you due to the fact that you're simply stating your opinion and passing it off as fact).

However, I will concede that some tattoos will look bad when people get older, however, not purely because the person is older. For example, a friend of mine has a large skull design tattooed across her chest. It's colourful and extensive and she has many others. I think that chest tattoo won't age well, but only because I don't particularly like it already. I'm not about to sit and pass judgement on it and say "in years to come there are going to be a lot of women in these age groups with terrible looking, and in some cases extensive, tattoos", because I'm not a judgemental p***k, but my personal opinion (which is by no means definitive) is that that particular tattoo doesn't look very nice and by extension won't look nice (in my opinion) in years to come.

That's not to say that all tattoos will age badly or on all people. As to why you've singled out women I have no idea. I would suggest that you're simply a bitter sexist. I accept that you're older, but sexism, like any prejudice, can't simply be explained away by stating "it's a generational thing". To have to state that you "try hard not to be sexist" says it all really.

I agree with you. People are free to do as they please, but if you're going to get 'ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME' in an odd font across your breastbone then be very prepared to have others with an I.Q. greater than 70 to point and laugh on a regular basis.

There's no correlation between IQ's and tattoos. There's a highly intelligent P&B regular who has 9 tattoos and he could never be accused of having a low level of intellect.

Your post might as well say "if you're going to wear trainers, be prepared for people with an IQ greater than 70 to laugh at you". It's not fact, it's personal opinion. Just because you don't like chest tattoos that say "only god can judge me" (and neither do I), doesn't mean that the person(s) with those tattoos are less intelligent than you or I.

I know a couple of people who get tattoos to kick them out of depression. They say the pain gives them a buzz, and they feel better about themselves. How they'll feel in twenty years is another matter.

The "how will you feel in the future?" argument is always the first one that people who dislike tattoos pull out when the topic comes up, but it could just as easily be applied to any life choice.

I don't have any tattoos, never fancied getting one either. Nothing wrong with people making the decision to get one, BUT I have to admit i think football related tattoos cringeworthy as f**k.

PPI cold call at 12.40am. During the day is bad enough, but waking me up? Someone deserves to be hung for this.

I got one at 5am on my mobile. It was a weird text message, with a different tone alert, demanding I press 5 immediately or awful things would happen.

The "you'll regre it in the future" argument re: tattoos is ridiculous. 70 year olds who have tattoos now look odd because its relatively rare. I'm 24, when I'm 70 there will be a far, far higher proportion of people with tattoos. It's been normalised amongst my generation to such an extent that I saw an article that basically said if you want to be edgy and independent and unique, DON'T get a tattoo.

Also, the IQ argument is frankly offensive. I have more degrees than I have tattoos. It's a choice that has nothing to do with anyone else, so get off your high horse.

I try very hard not to be sexist but tattoos are the one area I struggle with. A tattoo on a 60/70/80 year old man doesn't look too bad but in years to come there are going to be a lot of women in these age groups with terrible looking, and in some cases extensive, tattoos.

So? Why is that your problem? Does it somehow ruin your life? Or make the slightest difference to your life?

The "how will you feel in the future?" argument is always the first one that people who dislike tattoos pull out when the topic comes up, but it could just as easily be applied to any life choice.

No it couldn't. Most other life choices you can do something about to change it; once you get a tatt you're stuck with it.

No it couldn't. Most other life choices you can do something about to change it; once you get a tatt you're stuck with it.

No, you aren't. Tattoos can be removed, covered, tattooed over etc. There is plenty of justifiable comparison with other life choices. Let's say you decide at 21 to buy a house. When you're 35 the house is no longer what you want, so you sell it and buy another one. Now, change that to a tattoo. You hit 35 and decide you no longer like it, get it removed, get another one over the top of it, or just realise that you wanted it at one point in your life and that it tells a story of who you were at that time.

If we only post about things that are our business we'd be as well closing P&B now.

So? Why is that your problem? Does it somehow ruin your life? Or make the slightest difference to your life?

In Granny's case it could make a significant difference, considering that's the age range of women he's probably already chasing.

I don't like artificial tits, and it would put me off going out with someone who had them. I wouldn't say that made me judgemental, just a bit fussy.

No, you aren't. Tattoos can be removed, covered, tattooed over etc. There is plenty of justifiable comparison with other life choices. Let's say you decide at 21 to buy a house. When you're 35 the house is no longer what you want, so you sell it and buy another one. Now, change that to a tattoo. You hit 35 and decide you no longer like it, get it removed, get another one over the top of it, or just realise that you wanted it at one point in your life and that it tells a story of who you were at that time.

The 'how will you feel in the future' argument still stands.

If you get a tattoo tattooed over you've still got a tattoo.

If you get it removed you're left with permanent scarring - see Garry O'Connor's neck.

Edited by Dee Man

In Granny's case it could make a significant difference, considering that's the age range of women he's probably already chasing.

I don't like artificial tits, and it would put me off going out with someone who had them. I wouldn't say that made me judgemental, just a bit fussy.

In your fake tits example you are stating a personal preference. Grannydanger on the other hand is stating that women shouldn't have tattoos based purely on the accident of their gender. He gives no reason for it other than "it doesn't look good on women". Yours is a personal preference, his is a prejudice against women.

I have 8 tattoo's and for ages I hummed and hawwed over two of them and how it would look when I was older. I ended up going with the "f**k it, I want it so I'm getting it. f**k everyone else" route. The two on my ribs I think wont hold up well with age but they're on my ribs so wont really be on show much and like I said, f**k everyone else.

The 'how will you feel in the future' argument still stands.

If you get a tattoo tattooed over you've still got a tattoo.

If you get it removed you're left with permanent scarring - see Garry O'Connor's neck.

Absolutely, but you're getting it in the first place in the knowledge that it's permanent (or that having it removed leaves its own marks), so having someone immediately ask "aye, but how will you feel about it when you're 60?" is simply nonsense. It's an attempt by someone who doesn't want a tattoo themselves to retrospectively impose their views on you. It's hypocritical, condescending, told-you-so bullshit.

You can imagine the surprise and horror on people's face when they find out (retrospectively I assume) that these tattoos are "permanent"! :o

If people want a tattoo, then its up to them. The issue of how it will look when they are old is really their problem, and not anybody elses.

Absolutely, but you're getting it in the first place in the knowledge that it's permanent (or that having it removed leaves its own marks), so having someone immediately ask "aye, but how will you feel about it when you're 60?" is simply nonsense. It's an attempt by someone who doesn't want a tattoo themselves to retrospectively impose their views on you. It's hypocritical, condescending, told-you-so bullshit.

Yep, agree with all that, but I still don't think you can compare it with other life choices, other than maybe plastic surgery as you're left with a constant physical reminder.

Btw, before you accuse me of the shit in your last sentence, I have a tattoo myself, and a very fine one at that thank you very much.

Yep, agree with all that, but I still don't think you can compare it with other life choices, other than maybe plastic surgery as you're left with a constant physical reminder.

Btw, before you accuse me of the shit in your last sentence, I have a tattoo myself, and a very fine one at that thank you very much.

I wasn't accusing you of anything, Dee Man. My final sentence was just a statement in general against that sort of behaviour. Try and be less sensitive, you'll live longer ;)