Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

It is lies. But I feel we've bonded over having to endure the vocal horror that is broad Doric on a regular basis

Agreed. My first experience with a vowel shifter had me in, actual, fits of laughter. As I thought the guy was putting it on, as some form of joke. I didn't, honestly, know people could communicate in such a, horrendous, fashion.

That incident nearly ended in fisticuffs, due to my ignorance.

Because you are from Dundee and support Ayr United?

I can only presume this lifestyle was court ordered.

It's a situation that is as perfect as it can possibly get.

Glasgow is a shithole that has delusions of grandeur. Why anyone would choose to live there is beyond me.

Agreed. My first experience with a vowel shifter had me in, actual, fits of laughter. As I thought the guy was putting it on, as some form of joke. I didn't, honestly, know people could communicate in such a, horrendous, fashion.

I had heard about it before I moved up but not actually heard it for myself. I thought folk were exaggerating.

I too found it comical upon hearing it for the first time. I went out with a lassie from Northfield and whilst she was strangely well spoken (never used Doric and didn't have a strong accent although she did refer to butteries as rolls), her maw was full on broad Aberdonian with all the Doric phrases.

Got used to deciphering it eventually and feel I can translate it well now

I had heard about it before I moved up but not actually heard it for myself. I thought folk were exaggerating.

I too found it comical upon hearing it for the first time. I went out with a lassie from Northfield and whilst she was strangely well spoken (never used Doric and didn't have a strong accent although she did refer to *butteries as rolls), her maw was full on broad Aberdonian with all the Doric phrases.

Got used to deciphering it eventually and feel I can translate it well now

*Rowies ;)

Most people would agree that the Aberdonian accent is Scotlands worst, closely followed by Dundonian. I have friends in both cities so this is not a slur as such. Just an observation.

Sorry not having that. I'm not arguing they aren't bad, but they certainly aren't the worst.

Most people would agree that the Aberdonian accent is Scotlands worst, closely followed by Dundonian. I have friends in both cities so this is not a slur as such. Just an observation.

Kinda feels like a "How can a be racist? Av goat a black pal" sentence :lol:

Aberdonian accent is indeed shite. Definitely in the top 3 but I'm guessing there is worse further north.

I went through my basic training with a guy from Banff. It never failed to amuse me, and the rest of the troop, when addressed a full screw, corporal, as "cockerel" not corporal. Due to his dialect.

Some boi :). The lad from Edinburgh, and myself being the only jocks in the troop, were often asked to translate for him. We didn't have a clue either! :lol:

When I started going out with my missus she lived in Aberdeen. I remember going to a venue for a gig one night and the boy at the door started saying something to me. Asked him to repeat it as I genuinely had no idea what he was saying. Turns out he was asking if I was over 18, in which case I would get my stamp on my right arm so I could buy a beer.

Like another language.

I waited in a sports clothes shop in Peterhead while 2 assistants were having a chat trying to figure out if they were Polish or Romanian. Then one of them turned to me and spoke in perfect standard Scots. Thing about hard core Doric is I literally can't understand a word so I can't even guess what they're saying from a couple of words, and usually if you ask them to repeat it they make no attempt to soften the dialect.

The further North the more thick the accents are. I like to think I'm pretty good with accents now, but in Shetland last year my cousin's girlfriend, who is from Whalsey, was at times pretty difficult to understand.

I waited in a sports clothes shop in Peterhead while 2 assistants were having a chat trying to figure out if they were Polish or Romanian. Then one of them turned to me and spoke in perfect standard Scots. Thing about hard core Doric is I literally can't understand a word so I can't even guess what they're saying from a couple of words, and usually if you ask them to repeat it they make no attempt to soften the dialect.

We (Dundee) were in Peterhead for a cup tie a few years ago, a mate was in the pie queue when two guys started shouting at one another in it, about 20yds apart. He waited for a lull in the conversation then perfectly executed 'D'YA LIKE DAGS?.. AYE, DAGS' Brad Pitt in Snatch style. To this day, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I was sober and reading it back, you probably had to be there.