Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Fucking hell.

Great input ;) At least Invergowrie Arab wrote something decent to back him up!

Apologies for putting this in PTTGOYN but f**k it.

Because they established themselves as a fantastically successful pop group first. When they were able to then try more experimental music and it turned out to be decent they already had an established fan base and exposure that a King Crimson or Procul Harem wouldn't.

I would say they are the most influential rather than the best. Everyone from Bowie to Ozzy Osbourne and Zepplin from that era cites them as being hugely influential.

Their productivity was also immense. Their entire output of studio albums from pop group boy band to splitting up at the forefront of the music scene is 12 studio albums in about 8 years.

Having said all that when I look at the quality of the albums 50 years later I don't think anything the Beatles did is even close to what contemporaries like Cream, Buffalo Springfield, Zeppelin, Jimmy Hendrix, King Crimson etc were producing.

Even just slightly later the albums Pink Floyd were putting out absolutely and utterly eclipses anything the Beatles ever did.

Good post. Only a moron would suggest The Beatles weren't an influential or successful band, as they clearly were. It's just my humble opinion that their mainstream stuff is pretty meh. As that is my opinion of their mainstream stuff I've never had the desire to venture into their other works. Perhaps if I did I would find something I enjoy of theirs.

Music baffles me a lot of the time it has to be said. To think that the biggest group/boyband in the world right now is shite like One Direction seriously makes you question the industry. They were 5 boys that couldn't sing on the X Factor flung together to make a group and now they are the most successful group in the world. You don't even need to be able to sing to be successful in the music industry.

Can you tell I don't attend many music concerts/festivals? :ph34r:

Edited by 19QOS19

I always wonder how shite music must have been back in the day if The Beatles' stuff was classed as head and shoulders above everything else.

She loves you, yeah yeah yeah, she loves you yeah yeah yeah, she loves you, yeah yeah yeah...

F*ck off!

There are people that class Bruce Springsteen in this category, "The Boss"? My arse is more musically talented. "Born in the USA', 5 minutes or so of the same 6 notes with even more repetitive and shite lyrics.

At least The Beatles and Bowie didn't rely on stupid blue collar/rednecks buying the same pap forever, but did embrace different styles and approaches.

The PTTGOYN today is the Sprinsgteen rant!

There are people that class Bruce Springsteen in this category, "The Boss"? My arse is more musically talented. "Born in the USA', 5 minutes or so of the same 6 notes with even more repetitive and shite lyrics.

At least The Beatles and Bowie didn't rely on stupid blue collar/rednecks buying the same pap forever, but did embrace different styles and approaches.

The PTTGOYN today is the Sprinsgteen rant!

I like some of Springsteen's stuff.

I also find it amusing that born in the USA is a diss on living in the USA and the stupid fuckers take it as some sort of anthem...

It's been quite a night for you, hasn't it?

Please fill us in on the details when you wake up.

Okay so you know the whole burd A/B situation. Well I enlisted the help of my closest female friend. We are out drinking every night this week because it's refreshers week, and on Sunday I was a few pints deep and drunk texted burd B to come out with us, well essentially she came along and then when we were out I pied her the entire night and told my friend to cock block me on purpose

Same friend also told me that burd A had been pretty horrible to my friends the first time we'd met so now I feel pretty good about the fact I was a dick to her.

However my friend is now confusing the shit out of me.

Edited by Mr Bairn

Okay so you know the whole burd A/B situation. Well I enlisted the help of my closest female friend. We are out drinking every night this week because it's refreshers week, and on Sunday I was a few pints deep and drunk texted burd B to come out with us, well essentially she came along and then when we were out I pied her the entire night and told my friend to cock block me on purpose

Same friend also told me that burd A had been pretty horrible to my friends the first time we'd met so now I feel pretty good about the fact I was a dick to her.

Kick yourself in the pie.

Hush young man. No attendance at the darts, no opinion of the darts :P

Unless it's less mainstream then I probably won't like it. I tend to find their 'classics' extremely boring and it always puzzles me how folk think they are/were the greatest band of all time. Not for me certainly.

The Beatles fucking invented mainstream pop, whether they were the greatest or not is neither here nor there, they influence absolutely everyone. I would also agree with the others in that you should listen to more than the classics.

First week back at Uni after being off on Christmas holidays, so the 1st years, have a second freshers week, (week of getting pished) called refreshers week.

Well I think that is what it is.

FFS what a load of pish. In my day the first week back at Uni after the Christmas holiday was called the first week back at Uni after the Christmas holiday!

Refreshers week? :huh:

Thank f**k someone else asked first :wacko:

The cock-blocking friend is confusing you, or Burd B?

Fingers crossed, he gets fired in and you can put her behind you.

Thank f**k someone else asked first :wacko:

The cock-blocking friend is confusing you, or Burd B?

Fingers crossed, he gets fired in and you can put her behind you.

The cock blocker is a girl mate, we had a bit of a tiff last night but it was just a drunken misunderstanding and its sorted now