Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Leaving the new hospital.

Seems perfectly reasonable to have it the way it is then. Left lane for traffic going up the Glen, right lane for the by-pass and Garroch Loaning. I’d imagine the Garroch Loaning exit will be least used, so doubt it requires its own lane.

Chocolate bars ARE getting smaller :angry:
Agreed. Bought some Jaffa Cakes last week. Apart from there only being about 8 in the packet they were about 5cm in diameter.

That's my excuse for scoffing the whole packet and I'm sticking to it.

Do it.

291EFF7C-800A-47D3-AB7B-AD5070CE71BB.thumb.jpeg.2c19d420a4493342deb5d11a0fe09153.jpeg
I did that once. Slammed the door with the string attached and the tooth stayed in. Didn't have the balls to try it again so went to take the string off the tooth and the tooth came out in the process. Result, 50p up the next morning B)

18 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

^^^

image.png.c1a08775e9b8e845425da1adfffc3753.png

Haha, I wouldn't dare try line marking. If I didn't burn my hands or feet off or get run over then it would be an incomprehensible mess. 

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You would decide by criteria like traffic flow rather than just because you feel like it though?

Well yes that's the starter for 10, but sometimes where this is equal.... Couple of things I look for- putting ahead to the right lane avoids the people who can't go round, cutting up the right turners. Also if you are in an area where they don't like right arrows on roundabouts, I'll tend to put the left lane to left turn only as it avoids confusion. 

17 hours ago, sjc said:

Do you still use "Picardy" and "Arcady" for roundabout design these days?

Use both. Only Arcady is for roundabouts, Picady is for t and crossroads. Both now bundled into a programme called 'junctions'. 

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
18 hours ago, flyingscot said:
Councils have the right to mark roundabouts as they see fit to be fair. I do a bit of design work, and I can often mark them like that.

Why contradict the highway code though? Especially when most cars will go over or right. By doing that there they're more likely to have two lots of traffic queuing for the right hand lane whereas had they had left well alone and not made a complete arse of it the traffic would have flowed better.

Roundabout use in Dumfries is the worst.

A far worse example of bad marking is at the Dalscone roundabout. Three lanes - turn left, straight on and turn right - turned into two, one for turn left and straight on another for turn right ... ok so far, apart from when they decided to mark the right turn lane with a straight ahead arrow :blink:

A far worse example of bad marking is at the Dalscone roundabout. Three lanes - turn left, straight on and turn right - turned into two, one for turn left and straight on another for turn right ... ok so far, apart from when they decided to mark the right turn lane with a straight ahead arrow :blink:
That one is bonkers. I think the markings wouldn't annoy me (on the one I posted) if folk in this town knew how to go around 2 lane roundabouts, but they don't. And if they see that kind of marking it's only going to reinforce their (wrong) way of going around the roundabout. Dickheads.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

That one is bonkers. I think the markings wouldn't annoy me (on the one I posted) if folk in this town knew how to go around 2 lane roundabouts, but they don't. And if they see that kind of marking it's only going to reinforce their (wrong) way of going around the roundabout. Dickheads.

amen-gif-28.gif

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Haha, I wouldn't dare try line marking. If I didn't burn my hands or feet off or get run over then it would be an incomprehensible mess. 

Well yes that's the starter for 10, but sometimes where this is equal.... Couple of things I look for- putting ahead to the right lane avoids the people who can't go round, cutting up the right turners. Also if you are in an area where they don't like right arrows on roundabouts, I'll tend to put the left lane to left turn only as it avoids confusion. 

Use both. Only Arcady is for roundabouts, Picady is for t and crossroads. Both now bundled into a programme called 'junctions'. 

Cheers. Couldn't quite remember which was which as it was 25+ years since my apprenticeship in consultancy. Seem to recall a lot about "deflection" and "flair" lengths though?!

8 hours ago, The Golden God said:

People who spell their names wrong. It's 'Jason' not 'Jayson' and 'Jack not 'Jak'

Also anyone called Nathan is automatically a complete roaster

Kids at the nursery my kids went to was called Jax.

I know a guy who's kid is called Jaxon. I also used to work with a guy called Aydon, which is apparently the Italian spelling of Aidan.
Calling bullshit on that. The Italian alphabet didn't originally contain a y (or a j, k, w or x) and it's only modern loanwords from other languages that contain those letters (like jeans or lanyard or w****r).

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
I know a guy who's kid is called Jaxon. I also used to work with a guy called Aydon, which is apparently the Italian spelling of Aidan.

Calling bullshit on that. The Italian alphabet didn't originally contain a y (or a j, k, w or x) and it's only modern loanwords from other languages that contain those letters (like jeans or lanyard or w****r).

I agree with your doubt.

It seemed to be his go-to excuse, rather than admit his parents were absolute fuckwits.

21 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The American version of the name Marty is virtually unpronounceable by Scots.

I say Mart-ee.
You say Marrrrteee.

The thing is; it's like you're getting a 'Telt' but just give up.