Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On the phone to a tech department in Belgium who can't help as they're all shut down for holidays so pass my number onto Italy who call me and can't speak any Wnglish so they're away to try get an interpratator to try call me. 

I'd much rather just give up and walk away but I'm kind of in too deep now.

3 hours ago, BTFD said:

PTTGOYN #2607: I started a new job recently, and the gents lavvie is covered in the most stereotypical knuckle-dragging Old Firm graffiti you could imagine ("youse shag weans", "naw we dinnae, youse dae", etc). Just the most depressing thing this side of finding out how many people still don't understand (or care about) the concept of consent.

Does P&B have any suggestions for an addition that would trigger both cheeks into apoplexy? Asking for a mate.

You could print off this and stick it on?

Rangers-Celtic.jpg

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

On the phone to a tech department in Belgium who can't help as they're all shut down for holidays so pass my number onto Italy who call me and can't speak any Wnglish so they're away to try get an interpratator to try call me. 

I'd much rather just give up and walk away but I'm kind of in too deep now.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

This is a not so petty thing that gets on my nerves, w****r companies using their own threads so you can only use their products then you find you can't get the part for weeks, shower of c***s.

See also manufacturers of units that refuse to give you the code to inspect the b*****ding things.

After 3 phonecalls from Mauro, I needed to get a sparky out to test a circuit board and when I phoned him back was put back through to Belgium where it has been discovered my company isn't on their approved installation list nor is the supplier they sold it to (they're allowed to buy in and sell on but not fit) so there won't be any help forthcoming and if it needs an engineer to look at it they can send somebody up from Ramsworth (?) In England.

FML.

Just now, Derry Alli said:

After 3 phonecalls from Mauro, I needed to get a sparky out to test a circuit board and when I phoned him back was put back through to Belgium where it has been discovered my company isn't on their approved installation list nor is the supplier they sold it to (they're allowed to buy in and sell on but not fit) so there won't be any help forthcoming and if it needs an engineer to look at it they can send somebody up from Ramsworth (?) In England.

FML.

Just have a go yourself. What could go wrong?

Spoiler

electrician-electric-wire.gif

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

FML.

"Sorry mate its fucked and you'll need to replace it with a manufacturer that isn't a complete c**t."

I fitted it a fortnight ago. Everything g was going swimmingly until the roof of the building split and they isolated all the electrics. Now the same parameters yield very different results.

Condemn and go again, I reckon.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I just got a new car, 1st time I've driven in almost 20 years.  Putting aside the fact some c**t rear-ended me on Monday (settle down Kenneth) which isn't petty considering he had no insurance but that's another story - I'm not a fan of the keyless remote entry.  It's handy but what's to stop someone nipping in behind you whilst you're still within the operating distance of the remote fob?  Nothing that I can see.

The car won’t start without the fob detected within the vehicle. The unlock function uses the externally focused antenna array to detect proximity to a door that allows unlocking or the boot. The start function relies upon an internally focused antenna set that will panic if you step out of the car with the fob while it’s running.

On that thought, how many P&B’ers have actually cleaned, adjusted (gapped) or replaced points? When was the last mass manufactured points equipped car sold?

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

The car won’t start without the fob detected within the vehicle. The unlock function uses the externally focused antenna array to detect proximity to a door that allows unlocking or the boot. The start function relies upon an internally focused antenna set that will panic if you step out of the car with the fob while it’s running.

On that thought, how many P&B’ers have actually cleaned, adjusted (gapped) or replaced points? When was the last mass manufactured points equipped car sold?

I changed my own windscreen wipers. If you need any tips on how to do car stuff i'm happy to help. 

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I changed my own windscreen wipers. If you need any tips on how to do car stuff i'm happy to help. 

Right, on a 2020 Toyota, what’s the easiest way to change the blades without buying the entire replacement assembly?

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Right, on a 2020 Toyota, what’s the easiest way to change the blades without buying the entire replacement assembly?

Wear a big coat lined with foil into Halfords, stick the wiper boxes in  your pants and leg it. 

Then change the assembly. 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

About 30 odd years ago, this was an activity my dad would hand over to a 10 year old me of a weekend.  Along with rewiring/replacing fuses on an alarming amount of plugs . 

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

On that thought, how many P&B’ers have actually cleaned, adjusted (gapped) or replaced points? 

Probably only one. 

Congratulations! 

10 hours ago, TxRover said:

Me. And I can set a carburetor, change the spark plugs and, thanks to my father's awful 78 Vauxhall Viva (I passed my test in it!) I can also change a head gasket. 

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Me. And I can set a carburetor, change the spark plugs and, thanks to my father's awful 78 Vauxhall Viva (I passed my test in it!) I can also change a head gasket. 

Nice, I had a '73 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland and a nasty habit of shooting a stream of petrol out of the accelerator pump and onto the hot engine. The distributer died, and we hooked it to an engine analyzer and it was trying to fire on "all 13 cylinders". So a distributer change joined my repertoire in addition to using the girlfriend's emery board to file/clean the points. Also spent time with the horrific Ford Cologne V-6.

Having a Dundee postcode but living in Fife.

Some courier companies consider Dundee to be in the far-flung Highlands and will only deliver on certain days, or charge extra. 

A mile down the road with a KY postcode and it's no issue.