Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Only just occurred to me that was probably so they could sell the same model across multiple markets, maybe just swapping parts out for the PAL/NTSC/SECAM markets. Even before cable, I think the Americans always had more channels than us. Probably everyone did.

One of the first techy things I ever worked out to do was when I got a 48K Spectrum when I was 4. The family tuned it in to channel 8 on the TV in the living room, but for some reason the signal frequency would gradually drift and the picture would turn monochrome, so I got fed up asking an adult to re-tune the channel and worked it out for myself, even thought I wasn't allowed to touch the big picture box  :P

Aye, I'm sure you're right.

A quirk of where I lived was that most of us got Grampian TV but a very small number were able to get STV as there flats were at a certain position which enabled them to get STV rather than Grampian. STV always seemed to be better so I was well jealous of them.  

Mrs Mullarkey made some soup last night using a chicken carcass for stock.   

Fair play to her, she's managed to make soup that tastes of absolutely f**k all and I now need to go and buy a sandwich.

ETA and a massive bag of Minstrels. 

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

Conversations with the elderly. It just took ten minutes to get yes/no answers to two simple questions from my mother; did you phone <x>, and do you need anything brought in.

Before anyone says "she just wants to talk to you", I'll be over there in an hour anyway, and I see her most days. Definitely going to have a conversation with my son about telling me to write down what I want to say and get back to him once if I make it to the rambling age.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Aye, I'm sure you're right.

A quirk of where I lived was that most of us got Grampian TV but a very small number were able to get STV as there flats were at a certain position which enabled them to get STV rather than Grampian. STV always seemed to be better so I was well jealous of them.  

It was the folk that got Borders instead of STV that I felt sorry for.

Pretty sure they were denied Scotsport and got some English guff instead.

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Fair play to her, she's managed to make soup that tastes of absolutely f**k all and I now need to go and buy a sandwich.

Was it pea and ham soup?

52 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You always have to chuck in a couple of chicken stock cubes for flavour.

*Top tip: make extra gravy when you have the roast chicken, stick the remains in the fridge and dump that in the soup too.  You're welcome.

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

There were a few years the Blockbusters beside East End Park (now an Aldi) had some great deals. They were pretty much trying to shift as much stock as they could, so they were putting DVDs for a fiver which then became three for a tenner and, right at the end, most stuff was even cheaper.

They also did PC games for a bit. Me and my pal went down oke lunchtime from school for him to get Heroes of Might and Magic 3 for £5.

Likewise. I mind being asked a few times at my maw's funeral why I wasn't drinking, as if it was an odd thing to be doing.

As in physical rentals? Amazon do online rentals.

We still get physical rentals. Thing called Redbox which is a big red machine that sits outside the supermarket and dispenses DVDs/BluRays for $2.25 a night. You go and load them back in when you’re done with them and it’ll charge your card for however long you’ve had it. 

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

*Top tip: make extra gravy when you have the roast chicken, stick the remains in the fridge and dump that in the soup too.  You're welcome.

It was the carcass from a roast chicken from a couple of days ago, however, I fear she's crumbled fag ash into the soup rather than the stock cubes.

To be fair to her, she's f**king useless. 

46 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I usually put in a chicken stockcube and a vegetable one.

Gonna try the gravy suggestion next time though.

👍

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It was the carcass from a roast chicken from a couple of days ago, however, I fear she's crumbled fag ash into the soup rather than the stock cubes.

To be fair to her, she's f**king useless. 

I'm always a bit sceptical about that throw in a stock cube advice.

These feckers are a nightmare to dissolve, even in freshly boiled water and a hoor of a lot of stirring.

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

These feckers are a nightmare to dissolve, even in freshly boiled water and a hoor of a lot of stirring.

Never had an issue with this at all. 

18 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You do realise the stock cube should go in before you bring it to the boil then simmer it? If it doesn't dissolve after that you've actually used a concrete cube.

Edited by jimbaxters

19 hours ago, BFTD said:

Was he American?

They've got the weird thing that it's perfectly OK to see a woman being brutally penetrated by a chainsaw, just so long as nobody implies that she might have enjoyed being pleasurably penetrated by a phallus.

They are kinda f**ked up that way, own a gun at 16 and knock yerself oot with a lethal weapon, go on a massacre if you like but if you dare try alcohol before you are 21 you are the anti-Christ. 

1 hour ago, bobbykdy said:

They are kinda f**ked up that way, own a gun at 16 and knock yerself oot with a lethal weapon, go on a massacre if you like but if you dare try alcohol before you are 21 you are the anti-Christ. 

..and no cussing, toilets are bathrooms/ restrooms, arses are asses. 

..and worst of all, even anti-gun individuals keep a gun under their bed because, well just because, they live life in a terrified state of being..

Why?

Doctors' receptionists

Not just petty, but very petty, and they get on my nerves. 

Occasionally I might actually know what I'm talking about despite being that lowest of the low, the patient. 

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Conversations with the elderly. It just took ten minutes to get yes/no answers to two simple questions from my mother; did you phone <x>, and do you need anything brought in.

Before anyone says "she just wants to talk to you", I'll be over there in an hour anyway, and I see her most days. Definitely going to have a conversation with my son about telling me to write down what I want to say and get back to him once if I make it to the rambling age.

Nae fear of that, youngsters don't phone you, they just send a text.

10 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

..and worst of all, even anti-gun individuals keep a gun under their bed because, well just because, they live life in a terrified state of being..

Why?

To be honest with you, European views and American views are so different with regards the subject of guns and such that there is little point arguing it. Both sides have some valid and some hyperbolic components...and are literally un-understandable by someone from the other culture. It takes a person who has lived in both cultures to even approach any decent understanding, and even then it's beyond explanation in less than a novella.