Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I heard the radio news the other day talking about "exploding pages". I thought "how do they get pieces of paper to blow up?" and also "is "pages" some kind of new app"?

It wasn't until later that I discovered the English newsreader couldn't pronounce the letter "r" and it was pagers which had exploded. 

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Supermarket opens up a new checkout to ease the queue a bit, folk who then take it upon themselves to olympic walk from the back of the existing queue to the front at the checkout that's opening jumping the folk in front of them without a second thought apparently.

Petty, yes, infuriating, yes and just plain rude. 

Snooze, ye lose!

5 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Supermarket opens up a new checkout to ease the queue a bit, folk who then take it upon themselves to olympic walk from the back of the existing queue to the front at the checkout that's opening jumping the folk in front of them without a second thought apparently.

Petty, yes, infuriating, yes and just plain rude. 

Tory behaviour

By far the worst shop checkout PTTGOYM these days is the insistence on the vast majority of checkouts being self service, followed by any combination of, self service staff member chatting shite and not sorting out flashy red lights, there being 1 staff member to cover about 20 of them, or there being no staff member becasue they are also expected to be stacking shelves in the smaller shops, leaving me to track them down to approve a can of f**king monster at 38 years of age

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

By far the worst shop checkout PTTGOYM these days is the insistence on the vast majority of checkouts being self service, followed by any combination of, self service staff member chatting shite and not sorting out flashy red lights, there being 1 staff member to cover about 20 of them, or there being no staff member becasue they are also expected to be stacking shelves in the smaller shops, leaving me to track them down to approve a can of f**king monster at 38 years of age

Deserve it for drinking Monster tbh 

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Deserve it for drinking Monster tbh 

Other age restricted items are available. Monster is simply the most stupid, used to illustrate the point. 

Point of note, I only ever drink it immediately prior to a workout. I am a believer that one works out better when highly caffeinated

On 19/09/2024 at 16:56, Bairnardo said:

Probably thought you were still at school given your stature.

If we're doing supermarkets, various chains deciding that the chaos and staffing levels of the pandemic worked quite well for them financially, so now the aisles are permanently rammed with cages during peak opening hours, with miserable ground-down staff trying to get it all on the shelves while resentful customers barge past them.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

If we're doing supermarkets, various chains deciding that the chaos and staffing levels of the pandemic worked quite well for them financially, so now the aisles are permanently rammed with cages during peak opening hours, with miserable ground-down staff trying to get it all on the shelves while resentful customers barge past them.

Don’t start with that. I tried it on here a while back and someone (maybe a Motherwell or Ross County fan) suggested it was my fault for having the temerity to go shopping when I wanted and not when the 24 hour shop was deemed suitable for shopping.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Don’t start with that. I tried it on here a while back and someone (maybe a Motherwell or Ross County fan) suggested it was my fault for having the temerity to go shopping when I wanted and not when the 24 hour shop was deemed suitable for shopping.

It's your duty as a plucky Brit to set your alarm for 4am so you can get a good shop in before a lengthy shift at the concrete factory.

I take it they've stopped paying for staff to stock shelves when the place is closed, like the good old days that were also shite, but slightly less so. Thankfully still a ways before they end up like some of the American stores; one minimum-wage employee in the shop, expected to staff all the tills and unpack deliveries on their own. The internet's full of amazing pictures from places like Dollar General, where you unpack the boxes yourself in the hope of finding what you were after, with the employee being robbed multiple times per shift and told to phone head office to report it, but not to close under any circumstances.

...give it ten years.

dollar-general-blocked-aisles-.jpg?resiz

Shops who block all the checkouts not in use with gates/barriers/that elastic rope thing, so that if you didn't find something you wanted and so wished to leave, you have to either awkwardly squeeze past the folk queuing at the one or two open checkouts, push open a gate and trigger an alarm, or step over the elastic rope barrier thing.

This is in shops that have different doors for entrance and exit before anyone says you can just go out the same way you came in (technically you still can but you'd be waiting for someone else to enter since the doors are automatic and don't open from inside).

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Shops who block all the checkouts not in use with gates/barriers/that elastic rope thing, so that if you didn't find something you wanted and so wished to leave, you have to either awkwardly squeeze past the folk queuing at the one or two open checkouts, push open a gate and trigger an alarm, or step over the elastic rope barrier thing.

This is in shops that have different doors for entrance and exit before anyone says you can just go out the same way you came in (technically you still can but you'd be waiting for someone else to enter since the doors are automatic and don't open from inside).

It used to be easy until a year or two ago when the open entrance area of the shops were blocked off with barriers and gates you have to now go through. Since then there's no easy way to get out once you're in.