N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Could be a Stanley Cup winning move by the Pens to trade for Iginla.

As for realignment, it clearly sets up the possible expansion and out west as well. Seattle are rumoured. Interestingly the other favourites for expansion are Quebec and a second team in the Toronto area, in Markham to be precise, both of which are east and would require further tinkering with divisions. Phoenix relocating would no be a surprise either.

As for realignment, it clearly sets up the possible expansion and out west as well. Seattle are rumoured. Interestingly the other favourites for expansion are Quebec and a second team in the Toronto area, in Markham to be precise, both of which are east and would require further tinkering with divisions. Phoenix relocating would no be a surprise either.

They've also been talking about a return to Kansas City for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to think Ottawa might not make the playoffs. 2 big home losses in 3 days to the Leafs then Penguins. Even if we do make it now, looks like a first round match vs Penguins or Boston i.e. a humping. Needed to finish 6th for a decent draw.

The Wings are also in danger of missing out. Would be the first time in 21 years IIRC.

Looks like a shoot out between them and Columbus. Columbus are on a great run and have 2 OK fixtures remaining. Red Wings have the same 2 game plus a visit from LA. Tight!

The results all went Ottawas way last night with Ranger, Islanders and Jets all losing. One win out of 3 and the Sens are safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Islanders beating the Pens last night was a bit of a shocker after getting shutout 5-0 in Game 1!

Worked out alright for my fantasy team though...

I drew LA Kings in the Sweep, so i suppose i'll be wanting them to retain the Cup...can't see it happening

NHL realignment has been approved for next season! I don't think I like it to be honest but we shall see.

I'm with you on this. I am not a big fan of this realignment at all. Best if it was just kept in the same divisions and conferences as it is.

If there was an expansion I think the best place to have a team enter is Quebec City and bring the Nordiques back to the NHL. Seattle could possibly be a decent addition if its to be an American side. When I was working at the Toronto Maple Leafs a few years ago there was calls to relocate Phoenix to Hamilton just outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) but the Leafs were having none of it and nothing ever came of it so I doubt a team from Markham which is actually part of the GTA would ever materialize.

Wow what a game last night. Felt for the Leafs but they just stopped skating at 4

Semi final match-ups now known.

Hawks have the Wings who surprised me by knocking off the Ducks who had a fantastic regular season.

Old rivalry and never quite sure how these things will go - Hawks took care of the Wild with little fuss and without getting much (or needing much for that matter) from the top guys. Dont think Detroit will be quite so easy

Kings v Sharks, Pens v Sens and Boston v NYR elsewhere

• 2 weeks later...

Sharks in not bottling it shocker? Joe Thornton in supremely talented player not disappearing at key times shocker? We shall see, but the suspicion I have is that team is mentally weak.

Well, they lost in the end, but I thought they had a pretty good run given the way the season looked to be going in Feb/March. The collapse at the end of game 2 was the killer, but overall I wouldn't say they looked mentally weak. Credit to the Kings, who really improved over the last 3 games, and of course Quick was great throughout.

Game 7 tonight and it's a cracker in Chicago as the Wings come to town. Detroit need huge nights from Zetterberg & Datsyuk to lead them. I think the Hawks may just nick it. Either way the final four this year is mouthwatering, indeed the final five teams are the last five Stanley Cup winners!

Edited by Desert Nomad