N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I see Marty Brodeur (although he's broken his finger which will mean it's later rather than sooner) has said he is going to come to Europe to play if the lockout is still on when he's fit. He'll almost definetely go to one of the more established leagues but if by some craaaaazy bit of business he ended up anywhere in Britain I would absolutely fucking love it.

• 1 month later...

From the hockey forum I frequent all the big talk about fan strikes has abruptly ended and they're all figuring out which games they're going to attend. It is the die hards on there, though. It will be interesting to see what effect the smaller markets might see.

Disaster for the likes of Pheonix and Nashville you'd have thought. Even some of the more established clubs were struggling to sell out last season. It'll be a long road to recovery for most.

Disaster for the likes of Pheonix and Nashville you'd have thought. Even some of the more established clubs were struggling to sell out last season. It'll be a long road to recovery for most.

I'll be very interested in seeing how St. Louis get on. Historically they're one of the better supported teams (rarely dropping out of the top 10 for a team that has never won the cup in their 45+ year history) but the season after the 2005 lockout they were dead last for attendances.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to watch NHL for the first time properly, I'm supporting the Bruins, as that is the first north American city I've visited. Plus they have smart uniforms.

OMG They have half time analysis on the fights. This is an amazing sport.

Edited by Sloop John B

Growing up in New Orleans, I started watching hockey when we got cable tv in the early 80's. I started watching the Islanders when I came home from working for Wendy's. They would replay the games around midnight or 2 AM, which was when I was getting home.

They ended up winning 3 or 4 Stanley Cups in a row, but I then added the Washington Capitals .. and when we stopped getting Isles games, and I stopped working late nights I just went Caps all the way.

Got to see the Caps play in DC 3 or 4 times, plus in Nashville, NJ, and Boston. Was upset with the Thrashers moving, because now that I live in Alabama, it was an easy 4 hour drive

;)

But now the Predators are 90 minutes away, so they are the new 2nd team.

Columbus is where my son goes to school, so I can catch them too if I visit.

Growing up in New Orleans, I started watching hockey when we got cable tv in the early 80's. I started watching the Islanders when I came home from working for Wendy's. They would replay the games around midnight or 2 AM, which was when I was getting home.

They ended up winning 3 or 4 Stanley Cups in a row, but I then added the Washington Capitals .. and when we stopped getting Isles games, and I stopped working late nights I just went Caps all the way.

Got to see the Caps play in DC 3 or 4 times, plus in Nashville, NJ, and Boston. Was upset with the Thrashers moving, because now that I live in Alabama, it was an easy 4 hour drive

;)

But now the Predators are 90 minutes away, so they are the new 2nd team.

Columbus is where my son goes to school, so I can catch them too if I visit.

I'm curious, does the sport get much exposure in places like Alabama and Louisiana? I know it's quite big in Nashville, do the surrounding areas back the Predators a lot? I was also quite disappointed when the Thrashers left purely because I hate seeing teams relocate.