N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Chequebook hockey. :(

Nottingham are to announce another, Coventry have one lined up and Belfast are rumoured to have one.

There was a rumour Edinburgh were looking at someone too, dunno if there's any truth in it.

It's great for the league, although the teams that end up with NHLers will clearly benefit a hell of a lot more than the others.

Miller is the best of the lot so far I think!

Really want to go to a Clan game soon to see Miller!

I'm assuming all the proper top quality NHL players will go to the Russian, Czech etc, leagues?

Depends, on the most part I think so but notably Kopitar is in the Swedish second tier whilst the lockout is still going to play with his brother. What a coup that is!

As the lockout continues is there a possibility that there may not by any hockey played at all in the NHL this season? I imagine there would be a reduced season if it does get underway.

I'm off to New York early Feb and was hoping to take in an Islanders game (following a tradition of seeing the less fashionable New York sports teams Mets and Jets i've done)

As the lockout continues is there a possibility that there may not by any hockey played at all in the NHL this season? I imagine there would be a reduced season if it does get underway.

I'm off to New York early Feb and was hoping to take in an Islanders game (following a tradition of seeing the less fashionable New York sports teams Mets and Jets i've done)

Can't see anything decent happening to be honest, will be a very reduced tournament and some say they will just play the in their own divisions rather than the regular season , some rumours are that they will not play for the Stanley cup at all as the feeling is it will be a tainted title. All a bit pish really.sad.gif

Can't see anything decent happening to be honest, will be a very reduced tournament and some say they will just play the in their own divisions rather than the regular season , some rumours are that they will not play for the Stanley cup at all as the feeling is it will be a tainted title. All a bit pish really.sad.gif

Did they not do a reduced season once before? Think the Devils won the cup on the back of it?

Latest info sounds optimistic - NHL have came back with a 50/50 split with some adjustments to make up for the reduction in salary.

If agreed it looks like we could have 82 game season starting 2 Nov.

Not agreed by any means but sounds pretty positive

Did they not do a reduced season once before? Think the Devils won the cup on the back of it?

Yes but I think it was only slightly reduced, this new develpment sounds promising ,if there is a breakthrough then happy days beforehand there was nothing on the table and god knows how long it could last. fingers crossed.

If I read right then contracts would be a mx of 5 years which i think would be great. Too many franchises gambling their future in giving players 15 year contracts that takes them beyond the age they are likely to be a key player. American sport and the whole drafting system etc is designed to mean that a struggling team can become title contenders within a couple of years but being tied down to big contracts that count towards your salary cap can be a disaster e.g. look at New York Islanders and Rick Di Piedro. Smaller market teams would have a better chance of getting a top player if it was just 5 years max that way either side is not tied down for too long and it is much more practical to make a trade deal.

Took in a couple of games in the QMJHL whilst over in Canada this month. We were at Halifax Mooseheads home opener against Gatineau Olympiques, great atmosphere with 9000 fans at the game. It was a bit of an anti-climax for them though as despite being big favourites Halifax ended up being caned 6-1 and their top prospect, Nathan MacKinnon, who some are likening to Crosby, was sent off for fighting. As it turns out that is the only defeat Halifax have suffered so far from 13 games so just a bad night. The second game we saw was Cape Breton Screaming Eagles against Acadie Bathurst Titan. Not such a big crowd but 3000 was still impressive given the population of Sydney and the surrounding area and with the Eagles not doing so well. They lost the game 5-2.

I will definately go again next time I am over, great sport to watch and a good chance to see the best prospects before they graduate to the NHL.

Edited by Waspie

I will definately go again next time I am over, great sport to watch and a good chance to see the best prospects before they graduate to the NHL.

With the lockout this is an ideal time to see both the best prospects and the real thing in action at the same time. Book a cheap flight to Riga, Prague or Bratislava and catch some KHL, or venture elsewhere in Europe. During the last lockout I saw Gaborik, Demitra and Hossa play on the same line for their home town team. It was only about £1 a ticket as well.

Finland is a great place to go as well. A bit pricier of course, but you can see guys like Barkov, Ristolainen and Lehkonen who are all in with a good shot of being top ten draftees, as well as lock out stars like Mikko Koivu.

Failing that you could get yourself along to Murrayfield, Braehead, FIA or DIA and see some of the NHLers playing in the UK this year. Needless to say, not quite the same quality of home grown talent though (or value for money).

I was at my first Braehead game tonight and really enjoyed myself - will definitely be back. I expected the NHL player, Drew Miller, to be a bit more of a stand out. I didn't think he was head and shoulders above the other players. The rink also seemed smaller than an NHL rink, although I'm not sure if this is the case.

Also, for some reason the Braehead fans sing a couple of Celtic songs. A bit weird, tbh.

I was at my first Braehead game tonight and really enjoyed myself - will definitely be back. I expected the NHL player, Drew Miller, to be a bit more of a stand out. I didn't think he was head and shoulders above the other players. The rink also seemed smaller than an NHL rink, although I'm not sure if this is the case.

Also, for some reason the Braehead fans sing a couple of Celtic songs. A bit weird, tbh.

I realise what u mean here, but drew miller is shite anyway

The rink also seemed smaller than an NHL rink, although I'm not sure if this is the case.

Braehead's ice is Olympic size, which is actually larger than NHL rinks. Nearly all non-North American rinks are Olympic sized, except for a few Neolithic examples such as Murrayfield.

I'm pals with most of the guys that start the songs and there's plenty Rangers fans among them (more than Celtic fans in fact), plus a Motherwell fan and a Clyde fan. Doesn't really mean anything to be honest.

Braehead's ice is Olympic size, which is actually larger than NHL rinks. Nearly all non-North American rinks are Olympic sized, except for a few Neolithic examples such as Murrayfield.

Fair enough, it probably just seemed that way as I wasn't miles up in the sky as I usually am at NHL games.

I'm pals with most of the guys that start the songs and there's plenty Rangers fans among them (more than Celtic fans in fact), plus a Motherwell fan and a Clyde fan. Doesn't really mean anything to be honest.

It's a really good family atmosphere I think. The kids go wild for Gangnam Style...

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

I was at the game too and you're right the kids love Gangnam Style but you get some really embarrassing adults at hockey games too. During Gangnam Style you looked around at all the kids doing the wee dance thinking 'oh well they're only wee kids having fun, fair enough' then you see the odd 35-50 year old, obese hairy man/woman doing the dance and just lose hope in humanity that they don't feel raw shame when doing it, particularly looking like that with everything jiggling around wile jumping up and down.