N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Anyone catch the all-star voting? It's basically Ottowa fans voting for their own players. Milan Michalek has been the third best forward this season, apparently. Something needs to be done about the voting, like perhaps banning Canadians for voting.

Anyone catch the all-star voting? It's basically Ottowa fans voting for their own players. Milan Michalek has been the third best forward this season, apparently. Something needs to be done about the voting, like perhaps banning Canadians for voting.

Then you would have an all-star game without any Canadians. Did anyone see the HBO 24/7 series of the Flyers/Rangers lead up to the winter classic? If you can I suggest you watch it, its a good insight into what the players and management go through in the regular season. There was a series for the Caps/Pens winter classic game last season too.

Then you would have an all-star game without any Canadians. Did anyone see the HBO 24/7 series of the Flyers/Rangers lead up to the winter classic? If you can I suggest you watch it, its a good insight into what the players and management go through in the regular season. There was a series for the Caps/Pens winter classic game last season too.

But it's retarded. Sidney Crosby came sixth and he's only played five games. Joe Thornton's nowhere in the voting, but he's one of the classiest centres in the game. It's not about nationality, it's about what team they play for.

But it's retarded. Sidney Crosby came sixth and he's only played five games. Joe Thornton's nowhere in the voting, but he's one of the classiest centres in the game. It's not about nationality, it's about what team they play for.

I agree with you, just saying banning Canadians wont help it at all. Crosby would get in and then get another hit and be out injured for another stretch, one of the softest players going about. Get more Habs players in! :D

I agree with you, just saying banning Canadians wont help it at all. Crosby would get in and then get another hit and be out injured for another stretch, one of the softest players going about. Get more Habs players in! :D

Amen to most of that. My favourite Jeremy Roenick moment was when he said,

You see him [expletive], whining and crying. He's supposed to be the poster boy of our league and yet every time he gets hit, he's grimacing and complaining to the referees.

Fans vote for who they want in ASG. If more people wanted Thornton he would play. Game is in Ontario and Leafs/Sens have large fanbases anyway so of course it's going to be their fans voting mainly, don't have any problem with that, just a distraction anyway so the less Canucks in it the better as far as I'm concerned.

Canucks 1 all at Boston at the moment, don't care how much they play it down this is the biggest regular season game this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted this season but worth mentioning a Devils 6-0 lead away to Flyers just now with a period still to go. Devils are playing pretty well but have also made Flyers pay for stupid penalties and scored 3 PP goals, 2 of them 5 on 3 I think. This was one of the worst PP teams on the league but have picked up recently.

With a 1-0 lead and Flyers on a PP we should've been facing a 3 v 5 as well but the ref ignored a trip in centre ice and Kovalchuk raced away to score short-handed. Not unusual this season. Flyers basically lost the plot after that. At 0-2 and with a bit of composure Flyers could have worked there way back into this one but decided that brute force and late hits would fix things. No sympathy now. :D

Penguins tomorrow as well so will be interesting if we reduce some ice-time for the top line in the 3rd.

Edit: Comeback on. 6-3. Sadly Flyers have reverted to their disgusting cheap shots again. Horrible.

Edit 2: 6-4. The big flare up cost us a few defenders in penalty minutes along with all their guys too so we've been suckered in to their game.

Edit 3: 6-4 win. Not often we win at their place so a good two points. Totally soured for me by Flyers antics off the puck. Glad Kovalchuk flattened their guy in his fight. Not the easy 3rd period I might have hoped for though.

Edit 4: Rinaldo slewfoots Parise / Kovy - Schenn fight

Edit 5: Rinaldo got fined $2500 for that and another $2500 for a late hit earlier in the game.

I can see players thinking it won't matter what they do on the ice as it's a standard $2500 fine. Do repeat offenders get a bigger fine/suspension?

Edited by RWB

Devils put the Penguins away 5-2 in a more low key game the other night (19 goals in 4 games!) and followed it up last night by beating Rangers 1-0. Great for 2 periods again before Rangers turned up in the last. They 'equalised' with 5 seconds to go but this was disallowed for goalie interference. Naturally the forums have seen some lively debate about this incident! :lol:

Bottom line is it's 4 wins in a week against Atlantic division rivals with 2 versus the leaders Rangers and others against Flyers and Penguins. Montreal were the other team on the receiving end of the improving Devils.

I expect us to fall flat v Blues at home on Thursday now. :lol:

I can see players thinking it won't matter what they do on the ice as it's a standard $2500 fine. Do repeat offenders get a bigger fine/suspension?

In a word yes. There has been a bigger crackdown than ever on big hits under the new VP of Hockey Operations or whatever he is called, disciplinary head and former NHL superstar Brendan Shanahan. Previous gets taken into account and Rinaldo had actually been behaving much better this season up until this game.

2013 Winter Classic announced as Leafs@Wings to be held at Michigan University`s home stadium at Ann Arbor. I think I`m right in saying it is the biggest stadium in the States.

Yup, third biggest stadium in the world according to Wkipedia. I've been to see it but unfortunately there were no games on when I was there. SHould be a stunning spectacle.

Depends when you're there and what you want I guess. Boston are playing at the Rangers on 1st April which should be good, two of the best teams in the NHL at the moment, but tickets will be hard to come by, although that is true of most games as it's right at the end of the regular season. Don't bother with the Islanders as they will definitely be out of playoff contention, so going to either of their games in early April is unlikely to be very exciting. Check out the price of that Rangers game and if it's in your range and available, go for it. Both teams will have made the playoffs already but there is a decent chance they will still be vying for position which will make it quite a big game and you get to see two of the best teams in the NHL.

My other idea would be to consider going to New Jersey for a game, not too far and they will probably be going down to the wire for a playoff spot. Best bet in that respect would be Ottawa at New Jersey, which is the last game of the regular season and has two teams who will be there or thereabouts at the playoff cutoff come then, but again could make tickets difficult to get. New York Rangers also host the Washington Capitals last game, who again will be close to the cutoff and gives you the chance to see Alex Ovechkin, still (probably) the second biggest name in the game, albeit underperforming.

Been to a couple of playoff games in Boston, if they are playing Montreal then it's electric atmosphere. If you could get tickets, they will be expensive, I'd highly suggest a playoff game. Been to MSG loads of times and been to the Prudential in Newark a couple of times and it's a really nice new stadium.