N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

If Anaheim kept the big guns fit, they might have a chance. I think it'll be someone strange that wins it this year. maybe even the form team in the league, Ottawa! Ridiculous run to get themselves in playoff contention. The Hamburglar will run out of gas eventually though :(

Biggest questions for the Ducks going into the playoffs are almost the same as last year. Special teams are dodgy: they're 25th on the PP and 18th on the PK. But coaching is everyone's main concern. This has to be the year in which Bruce Boudreau either proves everyone right or wrong about his playoff coaching ability. The goaltending situation is more optimal this year with Gibson being the clear and deserved starter, but Boudreau's odd choices the last time around make me worry about who is actually going to end up in net.

Was at the Lightenings first game of the season in October - my first NHL game. So have been keeping an eye on their results all season. No chance of the Stanley Cup but think they could do okay in the play-offs. Pretty good record, considering the expectation from fans at the start of the season - those who i spoke to in the arena.

Went to my first game there two weeks ago in Calgary, I was surprised at the lack of atmosphere at the game considering how well the flames are doing. It would be great to see them make the playoffs, looking like its a race between them and the Kings which you would expect the Kings to win :(

The Kings had a huge win at MSG against the flying Rangers last night. Unless Dallas has an incredible run, Calgary will still get in as a wild card.

If Anaheim kept the big guns fit, they might have a chance. I think it'll be someone strange that wins it this year. maybe even the form team in the league, Ottawa! Ridiculous run to get themselves in playoff contention. The Hamburglar will run out of gas eventually though :(

Fell apart last night after losing 5 goals to the Rangers after a period and a half. He got pulled and Ottawa ended up losing 5-1, meaning that the NY Rangers are the first team to clinch a playoff place. Has been a remarkable run for Hammond tho!

Went to my first game there two weeks ago in Calgary, I was surprised at the lack of atmosphere at the game considering how well the flames are doing. It would be great to see them make the playoffs, looking like its a race between them and the Kings which you would expect the Kings to win :(

There isn't as much of a culture of 'making an atmosphere' at NHL games, especially if you're used to Parkhead on a European night. There's a lot more of an attitude of 'I paid my money I want to watch the game.' Partly due to the extortionate cost of tickets, especially in big Canadian markets, and partly due to the fact that hockey is a much faster sport than football, so does require more of your attention and there are more incidents to break up any atmosphere generated. That said the atmosphere in Montreal is pretty special, and it does ramp up a fair bit for playoff games.

You're right that dropping out the top 3 in the Pacific boots Calgary out the playoffs as it stands, I'm torn between wanting them to win to nudge the Kings out and wanting to ensure the Canucks make it at all. Think this divisional split is going to be great for adding excitement over the next few years.

Would Calgary not drop behind Minnesotta and Winnipeg for the wild card spots if LA jump them into third place? Its my first season really following the NHL, great stuff. A mate of mine was in Calgary the last time they got to the final and he said the place was hopping, ill settle for a play off ha big game tonight at home, mon the Flames..

Yes my mistake, didn't realise they had such a low points total. Jets and Kings both won again last night.

Must win game for Calgary in Minnesota tonight now.

Edited by Desert Nomad

Flames beaten again tonight :( No looking good now.

3-1 up on Nashville in the second, take the win here and all is not lost.

Ovechkin with a pair of goals in MSG tonight takes him to 49 for the season, way out in front for the Rocket Richard.

Been a very poor season points wise for individual players, nobody will get close to 100, Crosby might have had he stayed fit, as it is he'll win the Art Ross anyway. Season 67-68 since the Art Ross winner failed to get to 90 points, that is very much on this season.

Jagr wraparound against Ottawa. Guy barely shows his age, would be nice if he can squeeze the Panthers into the playoffs.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=794734〈=en

Ottawa concede more wraparound goals than any other team. Well, I might just notice them more by watching all their games I suppose. Looks unlikely that Ottawa will make the playoffs now, losses to L**fs and Panthers look costly. Cant see Boston slipping up :(

Anyone see the highlights of the NY and Winnipeg game lastnight? NY player lying on the deck and a winnipeg player smashes his stick down on the back of his neck slamming his face into the ice..have to say it was one of the worst fouls i have seen in any sport in recent times..

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/m_gamecenter?id=2014021148

Fouls bout the one min mark

Big Buff does what he wants...

Sharks officially out of the post-season,for the first time since expansion. A remarkable record, considering how fragile they are mentally. Interesting to see if they continue going with youth or if they make some big trades. Jumbo's my favourite player ever (he scored a ludicrous goal the other day from square of the net), but he could still bring a fare sized haul.

Massive results tonight.. Flames win 3-2 at home and a massive shock with LA losing in Edmonton. Oilers doing our fellow Albertans a Favour.. :thumsup2 Winnipeg also won so there could be as many as 5 Canadian teams in the Play offs... LA pulled their first choice keeper for the game tonight for a rest, might regret that now...1st time in 27 games LA lost to Edmonton I think the commentator said. :o

Go Flames Go

Caught a bit of the 2nd period of the Blues-Jets game. Interesting decision to disallow the Blues goal. Didn't manage to see much of replays or the talking heads at the break. Was it the correct decision?

Flicked it on there but must of missed it, went through nearly all the games from tonight and now their onto that Baseball rubbish..

Couldn't have been as controversial as the St Louis commentators were trying to make out.

Ottawa were almost out the playoff race last night. Were down 3-0 to Pittsburgh and with Detroit winning that would be Ottawa out, but they came back and won it 4-3 in OT, some game. It leaves them a point behind the penguins with 2 games left and level on points with Boston (with Boston having a game in hand tonight against the caps).

They're on quite the run overall since hammond jumped in net for them a month ago i think