N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2471001-mike-babcock-to-maple-leafs-latest-contract-details-comments-reaction

50 million over 8 years apparently. To say I'm gutted would be an understatement. Honestly didn't think he would go. Good luck to him, he's going to need it!

Third highest salary at the leafs now behind Kessel and Phanuef, who both could be off by next season

Awful first period last night - like truly awful.
Always have a couple of those in the year and play-offs but last night took the biscuit
Took 16mins+ to get a shot on the board by which time they were 3-0 down

2nd period was a big improvement with a little help from Andersen
Terrific finish then to the 3rd after going two down

The they throw it all away within a minute of OT :(

All potential elimination games on both sides from here on it - Tuesday for the Rangers in FL and Wed in Chi-town

Anaheim and Chicago have put on a great series. The teams are so equal, but the flow of play has shifted dramatically back and forth throughout. The last game being a perfect example: Anaheim had 3 goals before Chicago had a shot on net. Then Chicago shut Anaheim out in shots for half a period. It would be hard to say either team deserves a Cup shot more, but to me (perhaps with bias) I think Anaheim has been slightly better. They almost could have swept Chicago, the reverse can't be said, and those long OT games just become a waiting match for a garbage goal resulting from tired defenses.

Hoping for a Ducks-Lightning final. f**k the original six and fake traditionalists, I want two teams with palm trees outside of the building battling for the Cup.

Anaheim and Chicago have put on a great series. The teams are so equal, but the flow of play has shifted dramatically back and forth throughout. The last game being a perfect example: Anaheim had 3 goals before Chicago had a shot on net. Then Chicago shut Anaheim out in shots for half a period. It would be hard to say either team deserves a Cup shot more, but to me (perhaps with bias) I think Anaheim has been slightly better. They almost could have swept Chicago, the reverse can't be said, and those long OT games just become a waiting match for a garbage goal resulting from tired defenses.

Hoping for a Ducks-Lightning final. f**k the original six and fake traditionalists, I want two teams with palm trees outside of the building battling for the Cup.

Agree with you here. Would love this. Lightning took a pounding last night though so it's all to play for on Friday night. 3-2 Lightning I hope.

For a team that's been in such dire need of a complete cleaning of the player side of their organisation and a proper, long-term sustainable strategy of developing drafted talent for as long as the Leafs have, giving an eight year billion dollar contract to a guy whose success was built on virtually refusing to play prospects until they're about 22 seems sort of counter productive to me.

Of course, I'm sure Toronto's media will make those eight years just fly past. A contract that length for someone who isn't a player in such a reactionary market is just strange. Good luck to him, he'll need it.

Went to game 3 of the Bolts v Rangers playoff series in Tampa last Wednesday, 6-5 OT win for the Lightning! Brilliant night, some game and some atmosphere. Wish I stayed over there and could go to more games!

I have now adopted Tampa as my second team, even though they are in the same division as Ottawa...