N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

3 straight for the Leafs, no idea how they've managed to suddenly find this kind of form but I'm enjoying it. Long may it continue.

The Leafs puck possession has increased greatly this season from being one of the worst last year to one of the best this year. That can be attributed solely to Babcock. To see Babcocks influence you only have to look at how badly the Red Wings are doing at the moment, again due to puck possession. They have consistently been one of the best puck possession teams for years but this season they're stats have dropped like a brick!

Ovechkin breaks the NHL record for goals scored by a Russian, taking it from Sergei Federov. Caps still lose to a superb Dallas side though.

Ducks finally beginning to show a bit of form, they could be dangerous going forward.

Crosby helps Pittsburgh to victory over Minnesota, but only his third goal of the season, struggling for personal form big time so far.

• 2 weeks later...

So Stamkos to Toronto seems to be this years Babcock to Toronto replacement...

Toronto media is very much like English media with their "anyone from Toronto or around Toronto will want to play for the Maple Leafs one day" rumours all the time. McDavid will move here when he's 35 you know

Toronto media is very much like English media with their "anyone from Toronto or around Toronto will want to play for the Maple Leafs one day" rumours all the time. McDavid will move here when he's 35 you know

Well I think it has a bit more behind it than just the Toronto media talking about, either way it would be a hard to turn down opportunity for both the player and the club.

Don't see how it's a great opportunity for the player. Playing for last year's Stanley cup finalists or a team that's got to the playoffs like once in a decade? Toronto are the Liverpool of the NHL, they think they are bigger and better than what they are, even though the stats don't add up.

Don't see how it's a great opportunity for the player. Playing for last year's Stanley cup finalists or a team that's got to the playoffs like once in a decade? Toronto are the Liverpool of the NHL, they think they are bigger and better than what they are, even though the stats don't add up.

I don't think the Leafs think they are better than what they are to be fair as shown by the level of the rebuild thats just started, and its also hard to argue with the fact that it is the biggest team in hockey.

But anyway a few bits regarding Stamkos...

1) Plays for his home town/boyhood team and becomes the face of the franchise and the rebuild (will only be 26 when he becomes a FA)

2) Big salary available and opportunity to make a lot more in endorsements in Toronto than he can in TB (if moneys a big factor)

3) Gets to play centre rather than on the wing where TB seems to want him to play

4) Opportunity to work under one of the best coaches in the game in Babcock

5) Guys like Nylander and Marner coming through in the next year or so

He might very well end up staying in TB (who are going to have to give out big money to a number of players in the next few seasons), but I think that its daft to say that there isn't an attractive proposition for him in joining the Leafs.

• 1 month later...

Nightmare trying to catch some of these games due to the TVs channel they are on and a lot of the games puck off at midnight or later, it's only Premier Sports that show them in the UK isn't it?

Luckily i have found a way of being able to watch some games and the Sharks game is just about the start.

Nightmare trying to catch some of these games due to the TVs channel they are on and a lot of the games puck off at midnight or later, it's only Premier Sports that show them in the UK isn't it?

Luckily i have found a way of being able to watch some games and the Sharks game is just about the start.

Completely forgot Sharks game was on and only remembered in time to watch last minute. At least they won.

Completely forgot Sharks game was on and only remembered in time to watch last minute. At least they won.

Lost last night in OT :( , 3:00am kick off, what chance have you got unless your on the nightshift!

Might start watching one of the midnight games tonight if I'm still awake but I'd be lucky to see half of the first period.