N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

First Stanley Cup appearance in franchise history. Played well again last night but thought they were going to throw it say when the Blues pulled 2 back in the Third.

Managed to catch the last 15 minutes. Coasting it till they scored with a few minutes to go then a weird atmosphere fell over the place and the Blues then pounded them for the last few minutes until the empty net goal with like 20 seconds to go. I had £1 on 6-2 Sharks 40/1 so was a bit gutted but more relieved at the end than anything.

It's weird, you know in football when your team get a few corners in a row and build a bit of momentum and the crowd get behind them for a few minutes? It seems Hockey is like that non stop for 60 mins, that buzz and excitement doesn't go away.

I basically only watch Pens games. For those of you who watch follow the Western conference more closely, what's the outlook? Pens in 4? Pens in 5?

Pens minor league affiliate, the Wheeling, WV Nailers, are also headed to the Kelly Cup finals against the Allen, TX Americans. This is the hockey club that's actually closest to where I live. Should be a good couple weeks of hockey.

Managed to catch the last 15 minutes. Coasting it till they scored with a few minutes to go then a weird atmosphere fell over the place and the Blues then pounded them for the last few minutes until the empty net goal with like 20 seconds to go. I had £1 on 6-2 Sharks 40/1 so was a bit gutted but more relieved at the end than anything.

It's weird, you know in football when your team get a few corners in a row and build a bit of momentum and the crowd get behind them for a few minutes? It seems Hockey is like that non stop for 60 mins, that buzz and excitement doesn't go away.

Only, it's really really hard to see the ball.  So it's like what you described, only using a white ball in the snow.

Not really bothered about NHL despite following EIHL home and away but have Premier Sports now so started watching it. Penguins v Lightning game 7 was the first one I really got excited about, some atmosphere.

Pleased to see Pens win too as I was supporting them as they have Scottish goalie in Murray.

I'll follow the final series but the reason I couldn't be bothered with baseball in the end and won't even watch first leg football matches is I find it an anti climax.

Lightning take game one, but the Sharks came from 2-0 down in that game and could easily have sneaked a win.  Could be a close series.

I think the Pens were clearly the better squad tonight and easily could have won by 2 or 3 goals.

I think the Pens were clearly the better squad tonight and easily could have won by 2 or 3 goals.

That's what you get for staying up to all hours.

If the Sharks can some tighten up a bit at the back, I think they'll win. That said, if the Penguins do the same, they've got no chance.

Assuming that the Pens can hang on, who's in line for the Conn Smythe? Murray's name will be mentioned, but he's been more solid than great because he hasn't been asked to be great through most of the playoffs. Kessel has the stats. Crosby's been the best player on the ice in most games, and especially so far in the finals, but hasn't translated his play into points. The defense has been great, but that's been more of a squad effort than because of amazing play from one guy. I suspect that Crosby is slightly ahead of Kessel right now, but that could easily change.

Also, assuming Crosby wins the Conn Smythe, would any player in hockey history have a more impressive collection of the top trophy's available? He'd have the Stanley Cup, World Junior Gold, World Championship Gold, and Olympic Gold. All as team captain. Individually he'd have the CHL MVP and the Hart, Conn Smythe,  and Art Ross trophies for the top 3 NHL awards available. The only possible major trophy he would have missed out on in his whole career would be the Memorial Cup.

Yup. Shot stats tell it all. Could be over quickly.

Some achievement to get there, but the Sharks remain the Bay Area's most useless son.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something going on with all these games where we dominate the shot stats and then lose or barely win.

Also, the Raiders and Cal.