N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

1 hour ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Bedard on IR with a broken jaw after the hit you were all referencing.

Gutted for the wee man, but he'll learn from it. Luckily just a dull one rather than anything that'll hurt his progression. 

Zack Sanford for the All-star team anyone?! Blackhawks have just got him from Arizona on waivers lol

Just now, Spyro said:

Is it Georgiev or IvanP in goals? 

Prosvetov. First goal was Colton and Girard chasing Tkachuk behind the net who passed to a wide open man, second one was a deflection. 

Both are shite mind, but not much to say about him so far.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

Prosvetov. First goal was Colton and Girard chasing Tkachuk behind the net who passed to a wide open man, second one was a deflection. 

Both are shite mind, but not much to say about him so far.

He has been a decent backup. Had a few good games when Georgiev was struggling early in the season. He was always supposed to be in the AHL this season though so fair play to him.

Although the wheels might have came off for him! It's cool, Tucson could do with another goalie just now 😂

On 01/01/2024 at 11:30, Miguel Sanchez said:

Cale Makar and Nathan MacKinnon are the best two players in the league, that's all you need to know.

Looking at the league through burgundy coloured glasses here.  As good as they are, McKinnon can't do half the things on ice that McDavid can.  McKinnon has only racked up 100 points once in his career and McDavid has done it six times, including a remarkable 153 points last year.  And yes, McKinnon has a Stanley Cup, but I'm sure McDavid time will come.  After a dreadful 2-9-1 start to the year, the Oilers are 14-3 since November 24th, the best record in the league by far.  It seems that finally this team has far more balanced scoring and are not relying on McDavid and Draisaitl every night.

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

He has been a decent backup. Had a few good games when Georgiev was struggling early in the season. He was always supposed to be in the AHL this season though so fair play to him.

Although the wheels might have came off for him! It's cool, Tucson could do with another goalie just now 😂

He's covered the puck for the first time tonight and got the first cheer from the crowd.

He's not played that much but he still seems very raw. There's times he goes for saves and he doesn't look like he's in complete control of all his limbs. 

1 minute ago, EdmontonDandy said:

Looking at the league through burgundy coloured glasses here.  As good as they are, McKinnon can't do half the things on ice that McDavid can.  McKinnon has only racked up 100 points once in his career and McDavid has done it six times, including a remarkable 153 points last year.  And yes, McKinnon has a Stanley Cup, but I'm sure McDavid time will come.  After a dreadful 2-9-1 start to the year, the Oilers are 14-3 since November 24th, the best record in the league by far.  It seems that finally this team has far more balanced scoring and are not relying on McDavid and Draisaitl every night.

Would you like me to post that clip of Makar and Toews against the Oilers in the playoffs in 2022? 

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

He's covered the puck for the first time tonight and got the first cheer from the crowd.

He's not played that much but he still seems very raw. There's times he goes for saves and he doesn't look like he's in complete control of all his limbs. 

We are having the same issue with Vajmelka, he is a great keeper... when he is in front of the goals!

Hopefully The Avs get themselves a goalie sorted soon and we can get Prosvetov some solid AHL minutes. Everyone at Arizona was gutted but happy for him when he was snapped up, as long as we get him back! 

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

We are having the same issue with Vajmelka, he is a great keeper... when he is in front of the goals!

Hopefully The Avs get themselves a goalie sorted soon and we can get Prosvetov some solid AHL minutes. Everyone at Arizona was gutted but happy for him when he was snapped up, as long as we get him back! 

You might be waiting a while, the Avalanche don't have any goalies either. Georgiev has one year left after this and will cost too much (and is dung anyway) and we just don't do goalies, so I imagine the hope is that Prosvetov becomes The Guy. 

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Would you like me to post that clip of Makar and Toews against the Oilers in the playoffs in 2022? 

No need thanks  I remember it very well.  The Avs were the better team in that playoff round, not disputing that in the slightest and I have already acknowledged how great that Makar and McKinnon are.  You obviously don't think McDavid is better than both of them so let's agree to disagree here. 

@Craig fae the Vale

Am I right in saying I saw you post recently about going to a game in Glasgow and you had a good time? 

I've been thinking about going to a domestic game. Edinburgh is closer but I think the Glasgow team is in a better league? Also not that I'm really fussed but how much of a difference would you say their is between watching the top NHL stuff and the top British stuff? 

2 goals in 52 seconds to start the 2nd. Now we're cooking.

13 minutes ago, EdmontonDandy said:

No need thanks  I remember it very well.  The Avs were the better team in that playoff round, not disputing that in the slightest and I have already acknowledged how great that Makar and McKinnon are.  You obviously don't think McDavid is better than both of them so let's agree to disagree here. 

I couldn't think how to post that without sounding mean :lol: 

Watching MacKinnon all the time and knowing the mentality that comes with him I wouldn't swap him for anyone. I'm sure when/if McDavid wins a cup all the questions and criticism will go away but until then, he's not a winner.

Although I do unironically think Makar is the best player in the league. Even with his lingering injury issues.

55 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You might be waiting a while, the Avalanche don't have any goalies either. Georgiev has one year left after this and will cost too much (and is dung anyway) and we just don't do goalies, so I imagine the hope is that Prosvetov becomes The Guy. 

It worked the last time I suppose 🏆

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

And Prosvetov's gone after 4 goals on 13 shots. @Spyro

But are you sure we can't have him back 🤷‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

@Craig fae the Vale

Am I right in saying I saw you post recently about going to a game in Glasgow and you had a good time? 

I've been thinking about going to a domestic game. Edinburgh is closer but I think the Glasgow team is in a better league? Also not that I'm really fussed but how much of a difference would you say their is between watching the top NHL stuff and the top British stuff? 

I go to the Glasgow Clan 3 or 4 times a season and it's a fantastic night out, always enjoyable and can get a really good atmosphere going in Braehead. In terms of how different it is, it's definitely a bit slower than the NHL but it's not markedly different to a casual viewer, more diehard fans will probably notice a difference in skill level, but I don't think it would dampen your enjoyment.

I semi regularly go to the Paisley Pirates as well, who play in the same league as the Edinburgh Capitals. It's also very enjoyable and again to my eyes not markedly different from the EIHL.

Also worth noting in my opinion, ice hockey is a much better sport watched live than on TV. I enjoy a game on the TV, but really love it in the arena.

21 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I go to the Glasgow Clan 3 or 4 times a season and it's a fantastic night out, always enjoyable and can get a really good atmosphere going in Braehead. In terms of how different it is, it's definitely a bit slower than the NHL but it's not markedly different to a casual viewer, more diehard fans will probably notice a difference in skill level, but I don't think it would dampen your enjoyment.

I semi regularly go to the Paisley Pirates as well, who play in the same league as the Edinburgh Capitals. It's also very enjoyable and again to my eyes not markedly different from the EIHL.

Also worth noting in my opinion, ice hockey is a much better sport watched live than on TV. I enjoy a game on the TV, but really love it in the arena.

Sounds good, how's the pricing?

Think I might venture out to the Glasgow lot and if it's good then go see the Edinburgh Lower league team.