Hillwalking Thread

Lawers 7 needs to be done west to east or you are walking uphill.

The mounth 5 is good to do 5 in a day but broad cairn and cairn bannoch via bachnagairn and back down jocks road is a far nicer walk.

Yeah I did calculate an extra 200m odd extra ascent when I was considering a repeat. Meall Greigh would be a bit of a grind as well. Hmm. Decisions.

Thats my intention also for CB and BC. Will probably get the other two via the Stuic. That looks rather tidy.

Edited by jupe1407

Cheers for the replies hope to get atleast one of these multi-bags in this summer. I've actually done a fair few at Lochnagar before on a school trip and we stayed in a bothy there. It was great fun but I'm not counting them as I was quite young at the time and want to do them again.

Did Mayar and Driesh on Sunday there and it was a great walk with varied scenery. A bit underwhelming for 2 munros though and found it very straightforward with the only tricky part the ascent up Corrie Fee which was absolutely beautiful. Can only attach as I'm on my phone.

New Corbett to add to the list!

Cnoc Coinnich has been remeasured and found to be 763.5m instead of 761m, so it has been promoted from Graham to Corbett (which reverses its relegation a few decades ago).

It sits to the SW of The Brack.

Did my first hill of the summer on Friday, up Beinn Dorain. First time I've been up, and it was a relatively untaxing way to get back into it - there are a few short steep sections where you gain height quickly, but they're balanced out with a lot of gentle inclines. We were in thick cloud for most of the way up but got lucky, as it lifted enough for us to get some decent views just as we reached the top.

Hoping to do Bidean Nam Bian in a few weeks if the weather gets better, but I'm anticipating that being far, far tougher. 

Did Snowdon and Scaffel pike, both for the first time yesterday. Set off up Snowdon at 5.30am in the pissing rain, on the Pyg Track. Because of the fog, couldn't see a thing, so a quick group picture at the summit and we were back down for 8.30. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

A quick change out of drenched clothes and in the car to Scaffel Pike. Weather was significantly better and we scrambled up to the Mickledore col then across to Scafell Pike. Strolled back down the tourist path to Wasdale head, taking 2 hours 55 mins up and down.

Really enjoyed Scaffel pike, Snowdon not so much mostly due to the weather.

Was out on Thursday - did Ben Lui and Beinn a' Chleibh from Dalrigh. Quite a scramble on the NW arm of Ben Lui at times but worth it. After doing the other one I headed down from the col and went round the north of Lui back to the long track.

Trying to insert 278KB photo but keep getting the "You can only upload 2MB" message. More teething problems, I guess.

On 7/10/2016 at 14:44, alternative maryhill said:

Did my first hill of the summer on Friday, up Beinn Dorain. First time I've been up, and it was a relatively untaxing way to get back into it - there are a few short steep sections where you gain height quickly, but they're balanced out with a lot of gentle inclines. We were in thick cloud for most of the way up but got lucky, as it lifted enough for us to get some decent views just as we reached the top.

Hoping to do Bidean Nam Bian in a few weeks if the weather gets better, but I'm anticipating that being far, far tougher. 

It's worth doing via the Beinn Fhada ridge. I parked in the Buachaille Etive Beag car park and walked a short way up Lairig Eilde, took the right branch where the path forks and rather nervously forded the River Coupall (it had pished with rain for the 2-3 days previous), then worked my way up the slopes of Fhada. There's no path, it's just a case of picking the easiest lines up. We did a sort of rising traverse on the eastern slopes via a series of easy grassy rakes and simple scrambles. There's a path on the ridge itself which eventually gets to Stob Coire Sgreamhach (again with a minor scramble or two), then over to Bidean and back down through hidden valley through Bealach Dearg. The roadwalk at the end might be a bit annoying unless you get a mate along to take his car as well. Bidean is a fantastic mountain.

Anyway, this weekend's pish weather resulted in possibly my most miserable outing yet on Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair. Nice weather at the start had us thinking we might get one up on the MWIS forecast, however by the first top we had horizontal rain and strong winds, and the second, more horizontal rain and winds gusting at 60mph. Had to lie down on a couple of sections of Achaladair's south ridge as staying on our feet was near impossible. Just to round off a shit day, something inside my already shite knee pinged, making the descent absolute purgatory. The walk took ten fucking hours :lol:

We met a bunch of lads from England in our bunkhouse who drove up for 11 hours, and were going to tackle Nevis via the CMD today, mapless, with only a couple of GPS units between them. Bonkers.

Was up Bidean nam Bian yesterday had to turn back at the narrow ridge just passed the cliff tops as couldn't stay on our feet and the rain and clag was making visibility really poor was a great walk until then, funny enough I  met a group of english lads above the waterfall asking if I had a map,  I never and they didn't want to wait on my pal who was coming up behind me with one. 

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Was up Bidean nam Bian yesterday had to turn back at the narrow ridge just passed the cliff tops as couldn't stay on our feet and the rain and clag was making visibility really poor was a great walk until then, funny enough I  met a group of english lads above the waterfall asking if I had a map,  I never and they didn't want to wait on my pal who was coming up behind me with one. 

I attempted Ben Cleuch yesterday with my son and had to turn back due to the wind as well.  It was blowing some gale at 2000ft, so christ knows what it was like at 3000ft plus.

Did Beinn a Ghlo a couple of weeks back. Fairly straight forward slog up but lots of scree. 

Weather turned at the top so decided to just come back. The second hill looked very tempting but no way to get down unless coming back the same way. 

Planning on doing lochnagar soon.

I'm just back from a week on Skye. We had planned for a guide to take us up In Pinn a while back. That was the Tuesday, couldn't have asked for better weather!

d151c023b7b0470b98202b6182dc6a3d.jpg

19829bf14a187cc68993f7b8a598ae44.jpg

On the Thursday we headed up Blá Bheinn and got lucky as the weather cleared just as we were approaching the summit.

b11f5e74b87268195bae126cbb83791d.jpg

363d1f6fc62c7e9c0c5137d9afe7c3c5.jpg

7c6f126ccadb1b02cc592f72d303206e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of days camping at Tyndrum with the Mrs who doesn't always share my enthusiasm for the outdoors. I've wanted to do Ben Lui for a while but she wasn't so keen, so we settled for the WHW from Dalrigh to Bridge of Orchy. Best pint of Schiehallion ever at the end.

Novice at hillwalking but keen to give it a go as a way of trying to build up my Fitness level. Have been investigating possible munroes for beginners and Ben Lomond seems like it's reasonably pathed with little chance of me getting lost or into trouble, but with great views from the summit, and it's relatively close. I would hope to get a couple of walks in the Pentlands to prepare. Do you experienced guys/gals think this sounds reasonable? 

1 hour ago, endieinreekie said:

Novice at hillwalking but keen to give it a go as a way of trying to build up my Fitness level. Have been investigating possible munroes for beginners and Ben Lomond seems like it's reasonably pathed with little chance of me getting lost or into trouble, but with great views from the summit, and it's relatively close. I would hope to get a couple of walks in the Pentlands to prepare. Do you experienced guys/gals think this sounds reasonable? 

Yeah, the only way to practice is by hillwalking really.

I struggled up the Lomond hills in Fife then moved onto the Pentlands. If you do the circuit straight from the car park it's quite steep, you can go past the Loch and head up Scald Law that way. 

Some smaller hills are tougher than munros, Ben Ledi is tougher than Ben Lomond or Ben Chonzie.

When going uphill don't think about the summit and aim for a target closer and try to push yourself to reach it. Everyone is different though I suppose. 

Ben Lomond is totally straight forward, no issues even in mist etc.