Hillwalking Thread

I climbed Ben Vane last week.Really hot day as well.

Good climb but i thought i was gonna fall out with the False Summits.Weird quartzy type rock up there.It looked like my shoes had been dipped in Glittery Mud by the time i got back off it.

Hoping to do the Glen Striddle Horse Shoe at Luss next Tuesday.Would usually go for something higher but due to work it's gonna be a later start.

When i climbed Ben Vorlich last year we had intended to do Ben Vane on the same day but i had no chance by the time we got back off Ben Vorlich.

Anyone done the other Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn??

Edited by davidkennedyshand

Ben vorlich loch earn is a very easy up and down via an obvious path. From memory it's pretty steady all the way. You can add on stuc a chroin very easily too. Stuc a chroin can involvee an basic scramble if you are happy to do that but there are simple, if steepish, bypass paths to north and south.

I'm off with a d of e group this weekend so all low level for me around rothiemurchus and abernethy but maybe mealll a bhuchaille as an evening walk if I feel energetic.

Fudge and I are off to Glenfinnan a week tomorrow to take on the walk to Inverie. As we done it last year, we're fairly confident about it. We're leaving much earlier this time, so starting at Glenfinnan around 6am, expecting to get to Sourlies bothy for around 7pm at the latest.

The Saturday should be the proverbial walk in the park, giving us plenty of time to get fucked in the Old Forge.

Without doubt one of my favourite places in Scotland so very much looking forward to it.

Fudge and I are off to Glenfinnan a week tomorrow to take on the walk to Inverie. As we done it last year, we're fairly confident about it. We're leaving much earlier this time, so starting at Glenfinnan around 6am, expecting to get to Sourlies bothy for around 7pm at the latest.

The Saturday should be the proverbial walk in the park, giving us plenty of time to get fucked in the Old Forge.

Without doubt one of my favourite places in Scotland so very much looking forward to it.

Was on Eigg a couple of weeks back and speaking to a few guys from Inverie. Seems the locals have ditched the Old Forge after the Belgian owner has managed to piss off the community. Edited by Desert Nomad

Ben vorlich loch earn is a very easy up and down via an obvious path. From memory it's pretty steady all the way. You can add on stuc a chroin very easily too. Stuc a chroin can involvee an basic scramble if you are happy to do that but there are simple, if steepish, bypass paths to north and south.

I'm off with a d of e group this weekend so all low level for me around rothiemurchus and abernethy but maybe mealll a bhuchaille as an evening walk if I feel energetic.

I've done loch earn vorlich before but stopped going across to stuc a chroin because of the weather.

Can you tell me in more detail what the path is like between the two please?

I believe that there is a path branching off that bypasses vorlich top and goes to a bealach then it's easier from there?

Cheers.

Edited by DAFC

I've done loch earn vorlich before but stopped going across to stuc a chroin because of the weather.

Can you tell me in more detail what the path is like between the two please?

I believe that there is a path branching off that bypasses vorlich top and goes to a bealach then it's easier from there?

Cheers.

From the summit of Ben vorlich it's a well worn and steep path to descend down to the bealach. If you don't want to go back to Ben vorlich then at about the 700m mark look for a path branching right which contours round coire buidhe and the north west spur of Ben vorlich. I have only ever used it on descent so don't know how easy it is to pick up on ascent, it is certainly obvious from above.

From there you have the option of scrambling straight up through the boulders or there is a really steep path round to the right (north) you can go up. There is also a bypass if you head south through the rocks but it's no easier than the more obvious one to the right.

Was on Eigg a couple of weeks back and speaking to a few guys from Inverie. Seems the locals have ditched the Old Forge after the Belgian owner has managed to piss off the community.

Really? That's not good!

Was on Eigg a couple of weeks back and speaking to a few guys from Inverie. Seems the locals have ditched the Old Forge after the Belgian owner has managed to piss off the community.

I remember seeing there was a raid on the old forge and they found a number of fire arms. Real concerns that they may have to close the place.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin were 2 of the first Munros I ever did about 5 years ago, pretty straightforward if I remember apart from a posh, nippy wife having a moan about private land on the way down

From the summit of Vorlich, Stuc a'Chroin looks deceptively easy to get to - 20 minutes I said to myself - but it's a really steep descent and the old metal fenceposts come in handy.

The Ptarmigans squeaking and scuttling about in front of you are quite funny and it's some view all round at the tops

Think I'm doing the White Mounth (i.e. Lochnagar) collection with some friends this Sunday.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/white-mounth.shtml

18 miles FFS :o

It seems like a lot but once you have made the height at lochnagar you fair skip around the rest on firm terrain with minimal ascent and descent between summits. I'm not the fastest and did it in around 8 hours.

My top tip is don't descend from broad cairn directly to loch muick but keep on the high path until the black burn. The loch path is a never-ending up and down nightmare.

Look out for the plane wreckage on carn an t-sagairt mor

It seems like a lot but once you have made the height at lochnagar you fair skip around the rest on firm terrain with minimal ascent and descent between summits. I'm not the fastest and did it in around 8 hours.

My top tip is don't descend from broad cairn directly to loch muick but keep on the high path until the black burn. The loch path is a never-ending up and down nightmare.

Look out for the plane wreckage on carn an t-sagairt mor

Cheers.

The annoying thing is that I can't remember whether I've done them all already or just the 'Lochnagar' ones. Either way, good to do it for exercise as I won't be going up any other ones this weekend I suppose.

I'm planning on doing the Cape Wrath Trail later this year. Is Glenfiinnan to A'Chuil and then onto Inverie fairly doable in two days with full kit? Also what are the river crossings like?

Planning Ben Lomond in 3 weeks with my mates. is it wise to go up the Ptarmigan route and come down the tourist path. Done Ben Ledi twice as a warm up .

Yes do it that way. The Ptarmigan path starts just past the Youth Hostel on the West Highland Way. You'll see the Ardess Ranger centre then a house with a big gate to your right. Cross the stream right next to the house and a path leads from there up the Ptarmigan.