Caledonian F.c. Thread

RayBees

Just skimmed over this topic but it's a really interesting thread, my Clach sympathising Invernesian friend told me that there was still resentment in the city over the merger but this has still been an eye-opener.

I seems true that ICT don't seem to attract the same passion. I remember in the early 90s when Saints played Caley in a cup replay. I expected maybe a couple of hundred travelling fans but there must have been around 3,000 there for a midweek game, making a fantastic noise.

Are the Thistle fans still upset too, or have they been more accepting of the new side?

Just skimmed over this topic but it's a really interesting thread, my Clach sympathising Invernesian friend told me that there was still resentment in the city over the merger but this has still been an eye-opener.

I seems true that ICT don't seem to attract the same passion. I remember in the early 90s when Saints played Caley in a cup replay. I expected maybe a couple of hundred travelling fans but there must have been around 3,000 there for a midweek game, making a fantastic noise.

Are the Thistle fans still upset too, or have they been more accepting of the new side?

Alright mate,

The game you are talking about was in Feb '92 and we took over 4000 to the game at Perth, (Sorry i can't spell your stadiums name!)

That was after a 2-2 draw at Telford street after you guys were 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go, and it was a cracking atmosphere although we were well beaten 3-0.

The game led to the best headline in ages on the front of the next issue of "on a LSM" fanzine (Probe as 3500 Caley fans go missing on the A9) because the next league game against Ross County was back to around 500 travelling support.

That comeback in the first game showed just what the Howden end was all about, packed to the rafters & could not hear yourself think.

There was nowhere near the same feelings from the jaggies to the merger, basically because they were in the doldrums for a few years before this and really had nothing to offer, so most (not all) of their fans just accepted their fate.

Caley on the other hand could easily have gone forward on their own, (as proven by County, Elgin, Peterhead since who were all smaller clubs.

But the local moneymen would only give the financial support to a combined bid and our yellow bellied cheating committee decided to lie down & be fu*ked up the arse, rather than grow the balls to stand their ground and submit a lone bid.

Yes i know i still sound bitter, thats because i am. :angry: (and always will be)

I am sure the ICT fans will be on bragging about where they have gone in the 15 years but it doe's not disguise the fact that it is a soulless entity without the genuine support of almost all other clubs.

Well I am in my fifties now and the alcohol has soddened ma recollect but no ma memories - where can ya get the fixtures and results of yesteryear ?

Note that LSM mentioned the Animals and they are known as a feared crew - well actually we started off as yer regular bunch of pissheads. We started in a spell of Jeggie supremacy in the early 70's. In circa 1973/74 we sat in the Fluke and created the Animals. If I recall it was the sozzled idea of Norman Gordon. The others were Willie Fraser, Sandy Rose, Nicky Evans, Colin Arnott, Rodger McDonald, John Duncan, Neil Findlay, Davie Frame and ma good self. The original idea was to go together to games - home and away with the sole aim of getting totally blootered. We also all supported the bigger clubs down South and all though we were a mixture of Rangers (mostly), Celtic, Airdrie, Dundee, Aberdeen and even Ipswich we would travel down together to the big teams if Caley were playing some crap like Rothes or Lossie cos we always tanned them by double figures or close to that in those days.

The Train trips to Tinkerville and Borough Briggs plus the better supported Highland League teams blossomed. We even had our own run down minibus. We never really went out looking fer a scrap but we usually ended up in one - and that was down to the inciting 2-3 I may add. Norman Gordon made badges fer lapels and scarves epitomising the Howden End and the Animal Aggro was enthused. The outcome was that many peeple joined us on our travels or congregated with us at games. Most of us just wanted to get back to the pub after but if a rammy went off we got the feckin acclaim !!! Mainly when we exchanged ends at half time as has been said on this thread before.

The night out in McDuff when we won the league in the late seventies was wild to the extreme - possibly the best ever feeling of togetherness that I have ever experienced.

We went to Hellgin in the Cup on a special Train - loaded with a carry out. We tried to find another pub and walked into Woolies - the whole feckin train followed us - Woolies was trashed and there were Caley boys flying down the hill to the ground with chains and lead pipes and baseball feckin bats. We ambled away at the back and we got all the acclaim as the Animals ran the S*****o. :lol::lol::lol:

That is enuff fer one night. I'll be feckin incontinent in a minute.

Remember a few of these names from the '70s. John Duncan - whatever became of him? A man who enjoyed the odd sauce. Norman Gordon as well. Colin Arnott - Dundee fan? Willie Fraser - did he play a few games for Caley? Roger - died in a train accident?

League celebrations in McDuff? I think more likely to be the early 80's as Caley won the league in Keith in 81-82. Caley won the league three times in the previous decade - 70/71 by Thistle drawing 1-1 with Peterhead. A game I was at and celebrated with a few other Caley fans there - Mike Diamond and Derek Veighey as well as a Caley player at the time, the great Freddie Nield. In 76-77 won league by beating Brora 6-3 at the home of football with Andy Penman scoring the decisive fourth goal at the Distillery end and the following season by beating Ross Co at Telford street in a mid week game that could not get to as I had my finals.

Dont remember many of the original "Caley Animals" being around Telford Street in the latter years. What happened to them? Move away or just stop attending?

Interesting memories. Keep them coming

Well I am in my fifties now and the alcohol has soddened ma recollect but no ma memories - where can ya get the fixtures and results of yesteryear ?

Always wondered myself if fixtures/results/team lines/match reports etc from the past were available anywhere,it would be great if they were

Seen all the HL tables dating back on line somewhere but thats about it

Would the Inverness Courier or Sunday Post keep archive records etc?

Not sure how easily accessible they would be though :(

Always wondered myself if fixtures/results/team lines/match reports etc from the past were available anywhere,it would be great if they were

Seen all the HL tables dating back on line somewhere but thats about it

Would the Inverness Courier or Sunday Post keep archive records etc?

Not sure how easily accessible they would be though :(

Courtesy of geocities;

Here is the list you mentioned above, struggling to find much in the way of match reports, etc

Still some interesting things below.

Scottish Highland Football League

1893-date

See also

Edited by northernscum

Cheers lads - wish I had kept my copies of the Football Times now. :lol::lol:

As fer the originals - Rodger died in a train fall accident - Norman has died - Sandy goes to ICT and became a feckin Jeggie fitness coach - Arnie still follows the Dee and refuses to go to the Dump : even when he is drunk !! - Nicky has gone South - Willie is a *** season ticket holder and did play a couple of games fer the first team - Davie is an Airdrie man and under the thumb - Neil "Tarzan" owns Inverness Tyres and is an ICT season ticket holder (boo!!) - John Duncan is still sitting in the Gellions !! By the way my real name is Johndo MacKenzie and I was in the Caley squad fer a couple of seasons but due to drinks, drugs and rock n'roll I only ever played two pre season friendlies fer Caley - but I did have Allan and Penman in front of me and Presslie covering me (orgasm time!!)

We basically grew up, got married, had kids, moved away (I now live in Chorley Lancs), feckin died and gave up fiting. Most of us continued to go to the games - mainly Tarzan, Willie and Arnie - we were all there on the day we finally played the Jeegies and we all joined into the singing in the Howden End.

When I played in the seconds we were coached by the Neild brothers and some of the names that I remember were Mike Hurry, Frankie Watt, Billy Urquhart ( remember him ), Andy Smith, Daisy Davidson (Roddy's oldest brother), Jeff McDonald, Billy McKintosh, George Jojo Mclean, Rockers Davidson.

We beat Putridheid 4-0 to win the League when we hit McDuff.

Cheers lads - wish I had kept my copies of the Football Times now. :lol::lol:

As fer the originals - Rodger died in a train fall accident - Norman has died - Sandy goes to ICT and became a feckin Jeggie fitness coach - Arnie still follows the Dee and refuses to go to the Dump : even when he is drunk !! - Nicky has gone South - Willie is a *** season ticket holder and did play a couple of games fer the first team - Davie is an Airdrie man and under the thumb - Neil "Tarzan" owns Inverness Tyres and is an ICT season ticket holder (boo!!) - John Duncan is still sitting in the Gellions !! By the way my real name is Johndo MacKenzie and I was in the Caley squad fer a couple of seasons but due to drinks, drugs and rock n'roll I only ever played two pre season friendlies fer Caley - but I did have Allan and Penman in front of me and Presslie covering me (orgasm time!!)

We basically grew up, got married, had kids, moved away (I now live in Chorley Lancs), feckin died and gave up fiting. Most of us continued to go to the games - mainly Tarzan, Willie and Arnie - we were all there on the day we finally played the Jeegies and we all joined into the singing in the Howden End.

When I played in the seconds we were coached by the Neild brothers and some of the names that I remember were Mike Hurry, Frankie Watt, Billy Urquhart ( remember him ), Andy Smith, Daisy Davidson (Roddy's oldest brother), Jeff McDonald, Billy McKintosh, George Jojo Mclean, Rockers Davidson.

We beat Putridheid 4-0 to win the League when we hit McDuff.

Thanks for the update. Did not know Norman had died as well, bloody sad. Recognise most of the names from your days in the "seconds" apart from Jojo Mclean. Mike Hurry - journalist ? scored a cracker on his debut against Fraserburgh in 72-73 and that was about it from him. Frankie Watt was around Caley for a few seasons and was in and out of the first team for a while. Andy Smith and Jeff McDonald left Inverness for uni, Jeff played a couple of times for the first team. Billy McK was a regular in the first team for a couple of seasons but seemd to lose interest and just gave up playing.

The Peterhead game. That was season 76-77. If Caley had lost that one, Peterhead would have won the league. Caley did not actually win the league until the following Saturday against Brora. A cracker of a game. Gordie Fyfe put Caley one up after 30 seconds, Brora came back to 2-1 up, with half an hour to go it was 3-3. With Peterhead beating the Jags up the hill, Caley had to beat Brora to win the league. Cue Andy Penman and a tap in with 20 minutes to go. Ray Macintosh and another Fyfe goal saw a Caley win that made the scoreline more comfortable than it was.

Me, in my school days, I used to sell the supporters club raffle tickets as you came into Caley Park.

Thanks for the update. Did not know Norman had died as well, bloody sad. Recognise most of the names from your days in the "seconds" apart from Jojo Mclean. Mike Hurry - journalist ? scored a cracker on his debut against Fraserburgh in 72-73 and that was about it from him. Frankie Watt was around Caley for a few seasons and was in and out of the first team for a while. Andy Smith and Jeff McDonald left Inverness for uni, Jeff played a couple of times for the first team. Billy McK was a regular in the first team for a couple of seasons but seemd to lose interest and just gave up playing.

The Peterhead game. That was season 76-77. If Caley had lost that one, Peterhead would have won the league. Caley did not actually win the league until the following Saturday against Brora. A cracker of a game. Gordie Fyfe put Caley one up after 30 seconds, Brora came back to 2-1 up, with half an hour to go it was 3-3. With Peterhead beating the Jags up the hill, Caley had to beat Brora to win the league. Cue Andy Penman and a tap in with 20 minutes to go. Ray Macintosh and another Fyfe goal saw a Caley win that made the scoreline more comfortable than it was.

Me, in my school days, I used to sell the supporters club raffle tickets as you came into Caley Park.

Jesus christ PRS, where the f*ck do you get your memory from, i can barely remember where i was working at the beginning of the week!

There are some genuine Caley fans on here and some fantasists as well. I take it that the Howden Ender is AD - the wee boy whos father asked me to look after him at away games and who I took to his first *** game in Aberdeen. I sense that the rest know me and respect me as a true Howden Ender - even if they may call me a traitor in the stand now - but I initially backed the anti merger protests and I bet I put more money in the anti merger fund coffers than most on here.

Just e mailed him aas he is banned of here, he does remember you now...

his reply - You know something, i think he did take me to Pittodrie once about 1982, ****** *********, mate of my old man from Craig Dunain. Ask him if he remembers singing The Sash in the old Beach End to save himself looking out of place & taking a kicking.

I never realised he'd become so fat! Why would he think i'm a County fan? I'm a fan of whoever plays ICT.

And most of us in the good old days followed the Bigger teams - mainly the OF and Aberdeen - and many still decry ICT but follow the **** and the ****. What really gets to me is that some - including AD - follow the feckin Tinks and welcome the gypsies on to this Memorial threads. We never hated the feckin Jeggies - they were never a threat - we ran with the Ferry and the Clachers - we hated Elgin and the Tinks - we fecked the S*****o and the Jail End on many a day - we went to the Red Shoes and the Strath to follow that up as well. Have to say that the best "crew" was from Huntly and they ran us a couple of times.
No TRUE Howden Ender would sit in Viccy Park and support the Tinks - Feckin sacriledge.

No true howdenender would sit and watch thistle, thats is FACT...

And I sang it walking down the road to Govan - what a feckin buzz - **** 0 Caley 1

Did you get yer sellik tattoo out for the boys?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I've been on the feckin piss fer 40+ years - of course I am feckin fat. The wee man came to a few Caley games with me as well - I snuggled up to him in the Howden End and taught him a few songs and sneaked him a wee Scotsmac while his Dad and co. stood on the sidelines beside the old tea shed.

I could have feckin killed the little cnut at Pittodrie - I told him that there wa no feckin way that I was going into the Rangers End - He asked me fer some money to buy a programme - the little tawt came back with a King Billy feckin scarf. :lol::lol::lol:

So I went into the Beach End - used to be the Away end - it was feckin sweltering - but I had to keep ma feckin Harrington on cos underneath was a feckin sleeveless T- shirt and a Cellic tattoo.

Half way through the second half this feckin Beast said to me "I feckin hate cnuts like you - You sit there all day long and you dont sing along - Give us a feckin song" - So - I stood up and started off the Sash. :lol::lol::lol:

There was an ICT report in the P&J about the Stirling Cup game which said " The Inverness travelling support were in fine voice, strangely led by a middle aged, grey haired man with a Celtic tattoo". :lol::lol::lol: Feckin wicked !!

As I said I can understand why you dont follow ICT and why you stay away - That is your choice. I have made up mine but my "mind set" truly is that I am supporting the Caley - That is what I call them, that is what I sing. But I never had any hate or problem EVER with the Jeggies - I will forever HATE Ross County and Elgin - they were our RIVALS - and as I said it tickles me and others that I often start off the 02B chant - plus the fact it pisses of the Tinks who used to sing it as a wind up.

But Hey listen - you lot say keep it in the past - That is where ma memories are - the blurred memories as northernscum says. Those were the days.

But my favourite ICT Chant is _ "The Howden End is in the sky - The Howden End will NEVER die - repeat - THE CALEY". All I need is the Nickelodeon Song and the Lets take a little walk and 2009 could be 1979.

I AM CALEY TILL I DIE B)

Got this response from an old Jeggie:

The Inverness Football Times (1904 - 1976) are available for inspection at the British Library Newspaper Library which has one of the world's largest collection of football related newspapers and magazines....

Wow - I have two weks holidays owing. :lol::lol::lol:

But would that not be feckin orgasmic ? ;)

Alright mate,

The game you are talking about was in Feb '92 and we took over 4000 to the game at Perth, (Sorry i can't spell your stadiums name!)

That was after a 2-2 draw at Telford street after you guys were 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go, and it was a cracking atmosphere although we were well beaten 3-0.

The game led to the best headline in ages on the front of the next issue of "on a LSM" fanzine (Probe as 3500 Caley fans go missing on the A9) because the next league game against Ross County was back to around 500 travelling support.

That comeback in the first game showed just what the Howden end was all about, packed to the rafters & could not hear yourself think.

There was nowhere near the same feelings from the jaggies to the merger, basically because they were in the doldrums for a few years before this and really had nothing to offer, so most (not all) of their fans just accepted their fate.

Caley on the other hand could easily have gone forward on their own, (as proven by County, Elgin, Peterhead since who were all smaller clubs.

But the local moneymen would only give the financial support to a combined bid and our yellow bellied cheating committee decided to lie down & be fu*ked up the arse, rather than grow the balls to stand their ground and submit a lone bid.

Yes i know i still sound bitter, thats because i am. :angry: (and always will be)

I am sure the ICT fans will be on bragging about where they have gone in the 15 years but it doe's not disguise the fact that it is a soulless entity without the genuine support of almost all other clubs.

Cheers bud, interesting stuff again.

We were in the Premier League at the time of the cup-tie and I think only the old-firm brought bigger away crowds that season.

I didn't go to the first game at Telford Street, but my friends and family who went up spoke highly of the atmosphere.

With the likes of Elgin & Gr£tna gaining access to the league in recent years it seems likely Caley and possibly even Thistle too may have got their chance in the SFL anyway without the merger.

Cheers bud, interesting stuff again.

We were in the Premier League at the time of the cup-tie and I think only the old-firm brought bigger away crowds that season.

I didn't go to the first game at Telford Street, but my friends and family who went up spoke highly of the atmosphere.

With the likes of Elgin & Gr£tna gaining access to the league in recent years it seems likely Caley and possibly even Thistle too may have got their chance in the SFL anyway without the merger.

Firstly I would have to say that Caley could have but Thistle could'nt have. That is why the Merger was so bitter and ultimately so unfair. But, in retrospect it was a deal done behind closed doors and the fans were told - or probably directed and/or led - after the fact.

I will leave it at there but all I can say is that I was living in Lancashire and travelled North fer that game with some English mates - and they could not believe the support that night and still talk about it - It was a night of total lads and we simply rocked the place - If Billy Urquhart had headed home the late headed chance I reckon some of us would still be pished in Perth today.

We are Blue - were white - Were feckin dynamite.

Edited by IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Firstly I would have to say that Caley could have but Thistle could'nt have. That is why the Merger was so bitter and ultimately so unfair. But, in retrospect it was a deal done behind closed doors and the fans were told - or probably directed and/or led - after the fact.

I will leave it at there but all I can say is that I was living in Lancashire and travelled North fer that game with some English mates - and they could not believe the support that night and still talk about it - It was a night of total lads and we simply rocked the place - If Billy Urquhart had headed home the late headed chance I reckon some of us would still be pished in Perth today.

Fair enough mate, you'll know more about both clubs than I do.

I've seen a lot of games in front of some big crowds, but I'll always remember the Caley fans after the game still singing, tooting car horns and having a laugh despite the defeat. It opened a lot of our eyes to the level of passion for football in the Highlands. It would have been nice if you had got a consolation goal but you seemed to all enjoy the night anyway.

Look forward to a similar Saintees invasion of Inverness next year though, probably more like 400 than 4000 to be honest.

It was all done illegally man, and if you were so involved in the anti merger you will know that. They NEVER got the 2/3 rds they required to transfer Caledonian FC's funds to ***, but went ahead anyways, *** should not exist, that also is fact. They also had, their neighbours, cousins, friends & families voting against us, at Rose Street that sad night, as with you being a big anti merger man yuo will know. They even made the players come in & vote & all but 2 did. Respect for them they know who they are, & i know they are real Caley men, who dont take anything to do with *** to this day.

DB(our QC) kept going at them for years afterwards, but they kept throwing more money than we could at it, hence all the court postponements until it was obvious it was futile, we were up against the sfa as well as the courts and didnt stand a chance...

Fair play to you for not letting your convictions get in the way of your 'social' life. I just couldnt do it.

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

Edited by Lets all laugh at thistle

Alright mate,

What a night that was, our bus was fuckin nuts, at one time half way down the A9 one lad, had to be dragged away from the driver as he was trying to attack him for going to slow. That lad, suffice to say no longer drinks.. :lol: after another 'incident' in the Corrie...

The night at Telford Street was class, as was the replay, as said St J were Premier League at the time, but we managed to take them to the replay, am sure that was the round after we had pumped airdrie(who were top of the 1st at the time) out on pens at Telford Street, after they stole a draw at broomfield to take it to the replay, that was another 'interesting' day...

Their was Caley all over McDiarmid that night, as our end was stacked, and also some locked outside, watching the game from a hill between the stands down the home end. I know that as we could see them from our end.. I remember one lad turning round taking a look about and saying, 'by f**k the police will be quiet in invenrnes tonight'.. :D ..

Three E before KO for me though, which meant, luckily, the game was a bit of a blur for me..... B) Aah to be a youngsta again!

Edited by Lets all laugh at thistle

It was all done illegally man, and if you were so involved in the anti merger you will know that. They NEVER got the 2/3 rds they required to transfer Caledonian FC's funds to ***, but went ahead anyways, *** should not exist, that also is fact. They also had, their neighbours, cousins, friends & families voting against us, at Rose Street that sad night, as with you being a big anti merger man yuo will know. They even made the players come in & vote & all but 2 did. Respect for them they know who they are, & i know they are real Caley men, who dont take anything to do with *** to this day.

DB(our QC) kept going at them for years afterwards, but they kept throwing more money than we could at it, hence all the court postponements until it was obvious it was futile, we were up against the sfa as well as the courts and didnt stand a chance...

Fair play to you for not letting your convictions get in the way of your 'social' life. I just couldnt do it.

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

Is it the fact that you had to merge with Thistle that really got to you all? Or was it that you didn't want to join the SFL? Just trying to get my head round it really.

I don't know too much about the history, but it appears that Caledonian were the 'big' team. Was there a huge rivalry between Inverness Thistle and Caley?

Edited by Jonathan

Is it the fact that you had to merge with Thistle that really got to you all? Or was it that you didn't want to join the SFL? Just trying to get my head round it really.

I don't know too much about the history, but it appears that Caledonian were the 'big' team. Was there a huge rivalry between Inverness Thistle and Caley?

Yeah the merger with Thistle was the bullshit factor mate (Originally the other Inverness club Clachnacuddin were asked by the INE to join in a three club bid but their board had the balls to decline the offer)

It riles us because it was so unneccessary (as history has proven) because other much smaller teams have made it into the SFL since.

There were plans before the merger reared it's ugly head for Caley to move to a new purpose built (small) stadium on the west side of the town, but our ever helpful local council did nothing to help :angry:

We had badgered the SFA almost every season regarding restructuring of the league to allow an ambitious team from the Highlands to enter the league, but because of self preservation by the diddy central belt teams, silence was the only response.

Because of not just Caley but quite a few of the HL teams who took scalp after scalp from first & second division teams in the scottish cup, there seemed to be a fear that they would be made to look foolish if a highland team got into their league & got torn into them!

On your last point, there was a rivalry of sorts with jaggies, but, to be honest they were not really worth getting too heat up about because they were a waste of space on and off the field.

They had next to no support and were bacically a laughing stock in Inverness. IMO :D

The rivalry was mostly historical when the teams were a bit more evenly matched there was a lot more intensity to the games off the park as well as on it.

Our main rivals were definately Ross county & Elgin city, those games were a real buzz!!

It is so sad to see what has become of poor Elgin :lol::lol::lol::lol: (Ken fit a mean!!)

What a night that was,

Their was Caley all over McDiarmid that night, as our end was stacked, and also some locked outside, watching the game from a hill between the stands down the home end. I know that as we could see them from our end..

Yeah it was an amazing experience,i actually travelled down early by car so was one of the first in the away end

It was unbelievable how quick our end filled up as the supporters busses etc all seemed to arrive on mass

Long before kick off the ground was absolutely jumping and it was clearly obvious their main stand was filling up with caley fans as well

To this day i've never seen an away support so pumped up,if Caley had scored first i'm sure there would have been a pitch invasion of mammoth proportion :D

The 3-0 scoreline was about right to be honest and the Saints were never in any real danger but the memories off the occasion will live with me forever

I was in the very back row to the left of the goal(red section if my memory serves me right)

Did all the Caley boys on here get in the away end?