Rangers Fans

Guest News24/7

Whilst the original intentions of the line "if they go to Dublin we will follow on" might not be sectarian, you can probably see how easily it could be misconstrued, either by Rangers or Celtic fans. If more people took out the add ons and made further inroads into eradicating the sectarian problem, I don't think so many people would be trying to refute the suggestion that Rangers are trying hard. Also the eejit doing the Nazi salute isn't going to help, but hopefully it's a minority, if it's even anything more than one pathetic individual making a complete cock of himself :angry:

I can understand where you are coming from on the point about Dublin, although its definitely not supposed to be sectarian. Rangers have made great strides in getting rid of the moronic element, and while it still exists, it is a tiny amount of fans compared to what it was even 2 years ago. In time, hopefully this small element will also change their ways, either that or they will rightly be banned. Agree about the salute p***k. Should have been taken out and banned immediately. Brainless is the description which springs to mind, although I didn't see it myself as I was at the game. (strange statement I know, but true!)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand where you are coming from on the point about Dublin, although its definitely not supposed to be sectarian. Rangers have made great strides in getting rid of the moronic element, and while it still exists, it is a tiny amount of fans compared to what it was even 2 years ago. In time, hopefully this small element will also change their ways, either that or they will rightly be banned. Agree about the salute p***k. Should have been taken out and banned immediately. Brainless is the description which springs to mind, although I didn't see it myself as I was at the game. (strange statement I know, but true!)

I take it you mean you were far more busy watching the actual game as opposed to the crowd?

No, it wasn't over your tannoy. It's one Celtic play over their tannoy prematch, but which the Rangers fans clearly have a version of, which you were singing in the second half.

Perhaps you are thinking of our version of The Fields of Athenry? Its called a Father's Advice and is about a young man signing up to the YCV at the time of WW1. The YCV were a part of the UVF (not the modern day version) who were a regiment in the British Army in the Great War (36th Ulster Division led by Lord Carson). It commemorates the men who have fought and died for Britain (Ulster in particular) in various wars through the years. I didn't hear this sung last night however, haven't heard it at a match for a while now. Could be that it was a group of fans near a pitchside microphone singing it loudly enough to be picked up by the mic, but too far from my seat for me to pick it up.

( I know it might sound like I hear nothing at the game, but my seat is genuinely up in the far back corner of the Copland so I don't hear everything from the other end of the ground)

Perhaps you are thinking of our version of The Fields of Athenry? Its called a Father's Advice and is about a young man signing up to the YCV at the time of WW1.

Nup - I know the FoA.

I'll check it out next time we are at CP.

Guest StMiranda
Did anyone see at half-time the rangers fan in the crowd doing the nazi salute? It was just when the camera was panning around the stadium and was close on some fans and one fan in the middle was standing up doing the nazi salute. Nobody else catch this? :blink:

Muppet, it was the red hand of Ulster. Don't know whats worse tho these days.

Hold on!................ "We are the people" wasn't plucked out of thin air by Rangers fans. It actually IS a loyalist slogan.

I reckon you need to read my reply again :P

No, more like certain journalists who villify Rangers no matter what. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story seems to be their motto. Case example today. Robert Grieve's exclusive in the Sun about Rangers fans in Belgrade drinking at lunchtime. He quotes a delegate from UEFA called Rene Eberle and goes on to say that Rangers fans in Belgrade were out of order as they were drinking at lunchtime and they should take a leaf out of Celtic and the Tartan Army's book. Yeah, because the Tartan Army and Celtic fans were all sober in Paris and Seville eh?

In Belgrade - Fans congregated in main square and were protected from local thugs by riot police. The fans did as they were asked and behaved in accordance to Police instruction. Nothing wrong with that is there?

In Paris - Tartan Army blocked off a main road during rush hour in protest at the pub closing. The owner of said pub has to buy a man's car off him after it is trampled on and almost written off after the game by the Tartan Army.

Who is in the wrong here? There is an agenda by sections of the media in this country against Rangers FC and its fans. I only wish our custodian had the guts to come out and ban these so called journalists from Ibrox.

Was it not radio Clyde's own Hugh Keevins who likened Rangers card display against Inter Milan to a Nuremburg Rally? Why was that Spew? All it consisted of was a big Union Flag on the Govan stand and Saltires (yes you read it correctly) at either end of the ground. Nuremburg Rally? Ok Hugh, Whatever!

Speirs, McNee, Grieve etc all have had a dig in the past. Its becoming tiresome now, hence the Rangers fans boycott of certain papers. The Daily Record being chief culprit. Just have a look at the circulation figures over the past few years, dropped dramatically. Same with the herald. Enough is enough.

This is just typical paranoia from Rangers supporters regarding the press.

I've been in plenty of different football supporter situations (with alcohol) - from watching St Mirren with a few hundred to tens of thousands at international or CL games. Some of these groups i've been in have caused me to be intimidated, while others have been jovial. The person quoted is clearly infering that alcohol was a potential for problems amongst an element of the Rangers support in Belgrade. As he appears to be a neutral observor and Rangers previous for crowd problems, then I don't see any issue with this. If it was a shamrock wielding west-coaster then maybe I could understand the paranoia!

Why would a UEFA neutral observor give a toss about the parochial nonsense that goes in the Glasgow - He probably can't even point to it on a map? :lol:

As for the DR and Herald circulation - you do realise that newspapers in general are dropping in circulation as people turn to other forms of media? Any new newspaper which is released now is usually free (or reduced in price dramatically) and aimed at commuters, and follows a different business model such is the decline of the industry. The fact that both the OF claim this as some sort of victory is laughable. Even more laughable is claiming Graham Spiers got the sack from the Herald (untrue) and that it was down to them (untrue)! :lol:

Journalists have digs at clubs every week, it just so happens that the OF are the two biggest clubs in the country and make up the majority of readership. Thus they will have the most digs at them.

Good question. Personally, I find that song cringworthy.

I also find it cringeworthy that some Scotland fans go about wearing kilts.... and even worse, wearing 'see you Jimmy' wigs.

Tartan clad fannies.

The phrases " Tartan Army foot soldiers" "Advance guard of the Tartan Army" and variations on that theme make my toes curl. Don't even get me started on the "We're shite and we know we are" chant.

Yeah, because singing an anti-British song in Britain is perfectly acceptable. Slight difference in the two songs.

I don't see why it wouldn't be acceptable - we live in a democracy here, people have the right to be anti British.

Guest granthalliday

I heard one fan commenting that, by looking at the supporters around the guy, the gesture seemed to be an attempt to wind-up the Stuttgart fans. I haven't looked at the footage properly to say whether or not this suggestion is true or not, but I guess it matters little.

I am delighted at the reaction of the Rangers fans that have seen this. I have been on a few message boards and the vast majority of fans are very upset because it is quite easy to generalise one group of supporters are "bigots" or "scum".

I was at the game and did not see any appropriate behaviour, although I was aware of a police intervention near to my seat, although I do not know what happened. I'm not saying there weren't songs that were of a loyalist nature and referred to things unrelated to the team, but there was nothing that could be deemed "sectarian" or "offensive". Obviously people watching the game on Sky have the advantage of multiple angles and microphones, but I didn't see anything I found unacceptable.

Archived