Rangers Fans

Guest News24/7

The song Derry's Walls (often referred to as No Surrender) is about the siege of Derry in 1688/89. It relates to James' efforts to starve the city into submission by building a boom on the river Foyle so no supply boats could get through and laying siege to the city's walls. The song commemorates the spirit and effort used by the city's people and the Apprentice Boys to withhold this onslaught and emerge victorious. (It was the Apprentice Boys who secured the garrison so James' troops could not enter) The lyrics are -

The time has scarce gone round boys

Three hundred years ago

When rebels on old Derry's walls

Their faces dare not show

When James and all his rebel band

Came up to Bishop's Gate

With heart and hand and sword and shield

We forced him to retreat

We'll fight and don't surrender

But come when duty calls

We'll guard old Derry's walls

When blood did flow in crimson streams

Through many a winter's night

They knew the Lord was on their side

To help them in their fight

They nobly stood up on the walls

Determined for to fight

Or fight and gain the victory

And raise the crimson high

But come when duty calls

At last, at last with one broadside

Kind heaven sent them aid

The boom that crossed the Foyle was broke

And James he was dismayed

The banner boys that floated

Was run aloft with joy

God bless the hands that broke the boom

And saved the apprentice boys

But come when duty calls

The terrace version is not exactly the same, but is a shorter modern version -

Altogether Now, The cry was No Surrender,

Surrender or you'll die,

With Heart and Hand, Sword and Shield,

We'll guard old Derry's walls.

King James and all his rebel Scum,

Came up to Bishop's gate,

We forced them to retreat

repeat

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This from an article in The Herald on the monday after the recent Caley v Rangers game;

'RANGERS face an SPL rap after bigots belted out banned sectarian songs at Inverness yesterday.

SPL delegate Alan Dick will report Gers after sickening chants from a section of their support marred a 3-0 opening day win at the Caledonian Stadium.

Now the Ibrox club face a hefty fine or even points deduction.

These punishments were laid down in an SPL charter launched last month to rid the game of bigotry.

The charter pledged to punish "unacceptable conduct" by fans and now Rangers are the first club to land in the dock.

Dick will report to league chief Lex Gold that he heard banned songs such as Derry's Walls and The Sash.'

Guest Highland1
The song Derry's Walls (often referred to as No Surrender) is about the siege of Derry in 1688/89. It relates to James' efforts to starve the city into submission by building a boom on the river Foyle so no supply boats could get through and laying siege to the city's walls. The song commemorates the spirit and effort used by the city's people and the Apprentice Boys to withhold this onslaught and emerge victorious. (It was the Apprentice Boys who secured the garrison so James' troops could not enter) The lyrics are -

The time has scarce gone round boys

Three hundred years ago

When rebels on old Derry's walls

Their faces dare not show

When James and all his rebel band

Came up to Bishop's Gate

We forced him to retreat

But come when duty calls

When blood did flow in crimson streams

Through many a winter's night

They knew the Lord was on their side

To help them in their fight

They nobly stood up on the walls

Determined for to fight

Or fight and gain the victory

And raise the crimson high

But come when duty calls

At last, at last with one broadside

Kind heaven sent them aid

The boom that crossed the Foyle was broke

And James he was dismayed

The banner boys that floated

Was run aloft with joy

God bless the hands that broke the boom

And saved the apprentice boys

But come when duty calls

The terrace version is not exactly the same, but is a shorter modern version -

Altogether Now, The cry was No Surrender,

Surrender or you'll die,

We'll guard old Derry's walls.

King James and all his rebel Scum,

Came up to Bishop's gate,

We forced them to retreat

repeat

And now please tell me what does this have to do with football in 2007?

Dick will report to league chief Lex Gold that he heard banned songs such as Derry's Walls and The Sash.'

There is no banned list of songs in Scotland! UEFA have banned The Billy Boys, but the SPL/SFA have not. The add-ons to the Sash are no longer allowed (rightly so) and there were never any add-ons to Derry's Walls in the first place. This myth of banned songs is just the figment of certain sections of the media who go out of their way to try and get Rangers punished for no reason.

certain sections of the media who go out of their way to try and get Rangers punished for no reason.

As opposed to the far greater section of the media who have covered up Rangers fans' unacceptable behaviour for decades?

And now please tell me what does this have to do with football in 2007?

It is a song about triumph in adversity, about never giving up even when the odds are stacked against you. It is sung to inspire the team and urge them not to give up.

What relevance does the Tartan Army favourite Doe a Deer have to Scottish Football in 2007?

It is a song about triumph in adversity, about never giving up even when the odds are stacked against you.

A bit like "Go On Home, British Soldiers"?

You should try starting that next time you're at Ibrox, I'm sure that the majority of fans'll be quite happy to help rouse the team :)

Guest Captain Saintsible
It is a song about triumph in adversity, about never giving up even when the odds are stacked against you. It is sung to inspire the team and urge them not to give up.

What relevance does the Tartan Army favourite Doe a Deer have to Scottish Football in 2007?

Good question. Personally, I find that song cringworthy.

I also find it cringeworthy that some Scotland fans go about wearing kilts.... and even worse, wearing 'see you Jimmy' wigs.

Tartan clad fannies.

As opposed to the far greater section of the media who have covered up Rangers fans' unacceptable behaviour for decades?

No, more like certain journalists who villify Rangers no matter what. Why let the truth get in the way of a good story seems to be their motto. Case example today. Robert Grieve's exclusive in the Sun about Rangers fans in Belgrade drinking at lunchtime. He quotes a delegate from UEFA called Rene Eberle and goes on to say that Rangers fans in Belgrade were out of order as they were drinking at lunchtime and they should take a leaf out of Celtic and the Tartan Army's book. Yeah, because the Tartan Army and Celtic fans were all sober in Paris and Seville eh?

In Belgrade - Fans congregated in main square and were protected from local thugs by riot police. The fans did as they were asked and behaved in accordance to Police instruction. Nothing wrong with that is there?

In Paris - Tartan Army blocked off a main road during rush hour in protest at the pub closing. The owner of said pub has to buy a man's car off him after it is trampled on and almost written off after the game by the Tartan Army.

Who is in the wrong here? There is an agenda by sections of the media in this country against Rangers FC and its fans. I only wish our custodian had the guts to come out and ban these so called journalists from Ibrox.

Was it not radio Clyde's own Hugh Keevins who likened Rangers card display against Inter Milan to a Nuremburg Rally? Why was that Spew? All it consisted of was a big Union Flag on the Govan stand and Saltires (yes you read it correctly) at either end of the ground. Nuremburg Rally? Ok Hugh, Whatever!

Speirs, McNee, Grieve etc all have had a dig in the past. Its becoming tiresome now, hence the Rangers fans boycott of certain papers. The Daily Record being chief culprit. Just have a look at the circulation figures over the past few years, dropped dramatically. Same with the herald. Enough is enough.

Guest Kincardine
This from an article in The Herald on the monday after the recent Caley v Rangers game;

'RANGERS face an SPL rap after bigots belted out banned sectarian songs at Inverness yesterday.

SPL delegate Alan Dick will report Gers after sickening chants from a section of their support marred a 3-0 opening day win at the Caledonian Stadium.

Now the Ibrox club face a hefty fine or even points deduction.

These punishments were laid down in an SPL charter launched last month to rid the game of bigotry.

The charter pledged to punish "unacceptable conduct" by fans and now Rangers are the first club to land in the dock.

This is actually a report from the Sunday Mail as you can see here.

What the Herald said on Monday included:

Sunday newspapers said Dick will report Rangers after hearing "banned songs" such as Derry's Walls and The Sash but according to Jim Templeton, president of the RSA, the only song labelled sectarian and subsequently banned is The Billy Boys.

Perfect example of 'don't believe all you read in the papers'.

Guest The Chameleon

I'm sure the foreign players at Ibrox will be truly inspired every time they are belted out. :rolleyes:

At least you know the history of the song, the majority of the clowns who sing it only do it to feel like part of the gang and to get it up "them".

A bit like "Go On Home, British Soldiers"?

You should try starting that next time you're at Ibrox, I'm sure that the majority of fans'll be quite happy to help rouse the team :)

Yeah, because singing an anti-British song in Britain is perfectly acceptable. Slight difference in the two songs.

At least you know the history of the song, the majority of the clowns who sing it only do it to feel like part of the gang and to get it up "them".

I agree with your point there. I do know the history of the song and many others as I have read about the history behind it and also about the recent troubles in NI. People who sing the songs without really knowing why are just a bit dim, and yes I know, there are plenty out there.

This is actually a report from the Sunday Mail as you can see here.

What the Herald said on Monday included:

Perfect example of 'don't believe all you read in the papers'.

If the RSA told me it was Saturday I would automatically assume it was Sunday. And most of the time, I'd be correct. Using Jim Templeton to argue against the mainstream media is quite amusing, assuming that is what you were trying to do.

As for the argument that the Daily Retard is somehow anti-Rangers, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, more like certain journalists who villify Rangers no matter what.

So what are your views on the media silence in the last 30 years about Rangers fans' disgusting bigoted, sectarian singing?

Guest Kincardine
If the RSA told me it was Saturday I would automatically assume it was Sunday. And most of the time, I'd be correct. Using Jim Templeton to argue against the mainstream media is quite amusing, assuming that is what you were trying to do.

As for the argument that the Daily Retard is somehow anti-Rangers, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not using Jim Templeton to argue anything. You put up a quote which was wrongly attributed and factually incorrect.

Guest Kincardine
I didn't, to be fair.

Oh Jesus. You said "This from an article in The Herald on the monday after the recent Caley v Rangers game". It wasn't. It was in Sunday's Mail. The Herald contradicted it.

Archived