P&b Running Club

I suppose I'm glad to say I have at least finished a marathon. Disappointing that injury beat me, but I guess this means I have to make amends next yearunsure.gif

Injury didn't beat you, you finished it!!

Did the Loch Ness marathon yesterday. Managed it in 3.51. Chuffed with that, was hoping to beat 4 hours. Was a tough course though, hillier that I expected, legs were pretty much gone by about 21 miles, last 5 miles were torture but managed to hirple to the finish. :D.

Was a weird feeling crossing the line, about 10 different emotions at once mixed in with the pain. Stairs are not my friend today.

Did the Loch Ness marathon yesterday. Managed it in 3.51. Chuffed with that, was hoping to beat 4 hours. Was a tough course though, hillier that I expected, legs were pretty much gone by about 21 miles, last 5 miles were torture but managed to hirple to the finish. :D.

Was a weird feeling crossing the line, about 10 different emotions at once mixed in with the pain. Stairs are not my friend today.

:lol:

Congratulations. Well done on beating your target time!

Injury didn't beat you, you finished it!!

A near 3 hour second half would suggest injury beat me!laugh.gif I just wasn't clever enough to jump in the medical car.

Great time! Well donesmile.gif

A near 3 hour second half would suggest injury beat me!laugh.gif I just wasn't clever enough to jump in the medical car.

Training for a marathon takes up so much of your time and focus, that I think it's understandable why you would try to limp to the end.

How are your legs feeling today?

Training for a marathon takes up so much of your time and focus, that I think it's understandable why you would try to limp to the end.

How are your legs feeling today?

Aye, on the bus out to the start line , my mate said to me he didn't care how long it took him he was finishing. That thought was all that got me to the end, if he could finish I'll be damned if I couldn't. Buggered leg and back or not. My final mile (which took nearly 11 minutes, and was actually my fastest since the 12th!) was tougher than any of the sub 7 minute miles i've ever run.

Full body is really sore today, as expected, but I'm pretty sure I've pulled my right quad and an abdominal muscle.

Glasgow parkrun results gor sorted and mine is up now - 19:25 - my 3rd run and beat my pb. Really enjoying doing this although it's bloody hard to drag myself out of bed at 8 o'clock to go for a run!

Hope to get under 19 minutes next. Definitely doable

Now up to 4 laps of the local hill, just under 8k and took me 52 minutes. Pretty please with that given that when I moved here around 3 months ago my first few attempts at it seen me running around half way up and walking the rest and feeling absolutely f**ked after one lap on it's own. 5 laps will work out at around 9.5km. Looking to manage that first then get my time for it down to around the 50 minute mark. If I can manage it I'll be delighted.

One thing I have noticed is that despite plodding the hills, when I am running on relatively flat bits of ground I seem to be going much faster. Now managing sub 22 minutes for the 5k route I do when I'm feeling lazy.

19:35 in glasgow parkrun today - dissapointed I didn't beat my pb but 15th out of 356 runners so pleased with that

Can anyone recommend a good breathing technique? - at the moment I'm just panting and it leads to me tiring more than I should

19:35 in glasgow parkrun today - dissapointed I didn't beat my pb but 15th out of 356 runners so pleased with that

Can anyone recommend a good breathing technique? - at the moment I'm just panting and it leads to me tiring more than I should

You should try to breath in through your nose, but this only gives you 25% of the oxygen you will need when running. Focus on breathing in on one stride and out on another. Don't tense up as you will get a stitch and/or bad technique. Breathing in through your nose also leads to less dehydration feeling.

You can also try a 30 second blast 20 mins before your race. This will open up the airways and alert the body systems. It can take betweem 7 and 40 mins to take effect, so 20 mins is a good average.

Was 68 mins for the Great Edinburgh Run it was a monster of a course! Was all uphill for the first 5km then we got to run down the Royal Mile then up Abbeyhill ,which was on bar with Heartbreak hill at the Falkirk Parkrun, at just after the 7km mark. We then had to run along Regent Road which was slightly uphill until just before Princes Street at least we got to run back down it for an easy last km. My legs are killing us now it's easily the toughest course I've done so far!

The Great Edinburgh Run was a much tougher course than last year. The Abbeyhill section so late in the run was a killer, and after the first 1.5k of steady uphill and a couple of others, I really wasn't prepared for it. Walked for a bit after the steep climb, and didn't feel clever for having to stop. Crossed the line in 45m26s. I was hoping for sub-45 but hadn't trained properly for this. It's quicker than my 52 minutes last year, and as I say, a more challenging (and annoying) route.

Wasn't greatly impressed by having so narrow a stretch of road from 1.5-4.5km. There were too many runners of mixed abilities crammed in at that stage which lead to quite a few complaints.

Well done to the guys above, agree with all the comments too.

I had considered entering the Great Edinburgh Run but decided to enter the British Heart Foundation Winter Warmer in Pollok Park next Sunday instead. Quite glad I did now.

I ran Strathclyde Parkrun yesterday.

On the first Saturday of each month it has a number of pace makers but I don't know how much use they are. I finished in a new PB of 19.33 but was still a fair bit behind the pacer that was meant to finish in 20 minutes. :blink:

Haven't posted in this thread before, but I did the Great Edinburgh Run yesterday too. First time I've ever done one of these mass races.

I found it frustrating at the start having to weave in and out of gaps to keep myself going at a decent pace, but it opened out nicely after it left Holyrood Park and went on to the road. The hilly bit mentioned by the others was a killer for me too - ended up walking up the last bit of it.

Finished with a time of 52:06, which I was pretty pleased about. My second 5k was much quicker than my first, which I think was down to the crowd at the start. My first mile took 9 mins, when I can usually do it in under 8.

I ran Strathclyde Parkrun yesterday.

On the first Saturday of each month it has a number of pace makers but I don't know how much use they are. I finished in a new PB of 19.33 but was still a fair bit behind the pacer that was meant to finish in 20 minutes. :blink:

I was a marshal on saturday at strathclyde parkrun cos i done the strathcarron 10k sunday. that was pretty tough compared to the Cumbernauld one i done a month or so ago. first 3k a bit of a nightmare.