P&b Running Club

Not been out since the beginning of December, but have been to the gym a few times in the last few weeks. I get very bored on the treadmill, but have changed my approach which seems to help. In the past I'd usually bung it up to 12km per hour and go through 5 or 6 k before wanting to top myself, but now I'm going 2 minutes at 10km per hour then 2 minutes at 17km per hour, and repeating until I get to the stage I want to throw up. Finding it much easier to stay interested but not noticing much of a difference yet in terms of how many repetitions of this I can manage, or seeing any improvement in my recovery time when on the slow jog. Will persist and see what happens.

And on that note, does anyone else struggle with running out in the cold? My calves seize up in the winter (below 10 degrees) - particularly if I need to stop and take a rest. If I try to rest by way of a brisk walk, this makes my legs all the worse. Anyone have any suggestions that don't involve wearing running tights?

do some dynamic warm up stretches - walk with straight legs on your toes facing in towards each other. Also walk with straight legs on your ankles with toes pointing up and facing outwards. Also do some knee raises with your toes pointing towards your shins - this will stretch the achillies and calf muscles. Leg swings back and forth - with toes pointing towards shin. Also do the same across the body.

You can also try some Magnesium suppliments to stop cramping.

I've started running and fancy entering a race to motivate myself to continue training etc.

I was considering looking to enter the Black Rock 5 in Kinghorn, anyone done it, recommend it?

I've done it a few times, it's a good race - but not that easy. About 3 miles of the 4.5ish is on the beach and the finish is up a killer hill past the pub. On the plus side, you get a bottle of beer at the end!

I've started running and fancy entering a race to motivate myself to continue training etc.

I was considering looking to enter the Black Rock 5 in Kinghorn, anyone done it, recommend it?

I did it last year, really enjoyed it as something a bit different from the usual 5k/10ks I've done. Trying to sprint the hill up to the finish line nearly killed me.

Good atmosphere with a lot of folk out watching and cheering the runners on, and as true_rover says you get a beer at the finish!

This by far the busiest this thread has been for a while! Hope you all stick to your New Year resolution.

Anyone going to a parkrun tomorrow? I should be at Strathclyde as long as the weather isn't too bad.

I'm just heading down just now but I'm struggling to get somewhere to print out my barcode at this time. Any idea if the office staff would let you print it off down there or if they would accept the barcode off of phone?

I'm just heading down just now but I'm struggling to get somewhere to print out my barcode at this time. Any idea if the office staff would let you print it off down there or if they would accept the barcode off of phone?

They are usually pretty strict about the barcode and won't accept it from the phone but depending on who is scanning the barcodes you might get away with it.

I'll not be going this morning now as I've slept in. Will just go a run later.

They are usually pretty strict about the barcode and won't accept it from the phone but depending on who is scanning the barcodes you might get away with it.

Cool, cheers.

I didn't have time to get my barcode printed off so I just ended up parking at the Palace Grounds and ran through the tunnel under the M74 into the park that way and back.

4.3 miles in 36 minutes which is pretty shit but at the same time not bad considering I only did my first run since November, 9 days ago.

Ran the 3k X-C Relay race today in Durham. I was off first, so it was with some fast lads. I was 3rd last in my leg with a time of 10:55. The leading teams did it in 7:40.

Gym tomorrow.

5 x 5 mins effort with decreasing recovery on Tuesday.

Gym Wednesday.

2 x 15 mins efforts with 5 mins recovery between sets.

Rest day Friday

Park Run on Saturday

10-12 miler on Sunday tempo run.

was planning on going to park run again on saturday for the first time in ages but fucked my knee in a diy accident of sorts

Was breaking up and old desk with a hammer, got a bit overzealous with my swinging, missed my target and cracked myself on the side of my right knee. Was close to tears with the pain and still am but serves me right for being a dipshit laugh.gif

Was busy yesterday morning. Over 200. Pretty damn cold too, but it was a good run.

Ow. Owowowowowow. Ow.

Been doing really well on the treadmill the last week or two, only to realise while walking to the game on Saturday that my right achilles is really sore.

It's got worse since, and is bloody agony to walk on now.

Don't tell me - the only cure is a fortnight with no running? :(

Ow. Owowowowowow. Ow.

Been doing really well on the treadmill the last week or two, only to realise while walking to the game on Saturday that my right achilles is really sore.

It's got worse since, and is bloody agony to walk on now.

Don't tell me - the only cure is a fortnight with no running? :(

Might just need some stretching - if you can get a physio to have a look they can probably advise some exercises

Agree with the above. Will save you worrying and help you get back quicker. Rest is a guarantee however.

Just off the dread mill myself. Intervals. 2 k warm up to jog speed 13.7km/hr then up to 16.2km/hr for 200 meteres then jog for 200 meteres. Then increase to 400meters and 600 meters. Did 3 sets and ran 10k in 41:15.