P&b Running Club

The ballot for the London marathon opened at midnight. You've probably got until late afternoon before ballot entries close...I've just stuck my name in the hat for the first time.

Cracking effort Disco. It's runs like that that that make you wonder why you bother whilst you're out, but persevere regardless.

Itzdrk, the Couch to 5k running plan's had a few mentions on here over the last few pages, so that's probably worth a look at. Think Reina's on it in some form just now.

The ballot for the London marathon opened at midnight. You've probably got until late afternoon before ballot entries close...I've just stuck my name in the hat for the first time.

Cracking effort Disco. It's runs like that that that make you wonder why you bother whilst you're out, but persevere regardless.

Itzdrk, the Couch to 5k running plan's had a few mentions on here over the last few pages, so that's probably worth a look at. Think Reina's on it in some form just now.

cheers, need to get registered with a docs & have a wee chat about the leg pains ive been getting walking first but getting fit is something i wanna get involved in

Anyone else at the Balfron 10K today? Quite a tough course. First 3K downhill with a good wind behind us. Great stuff....unfortunately its an out and back run. so last 3K were tough. Nice run though.

Booked a space on the penicuik 10k a week on saturday. Looks like a beast.

http://penicuikharriers.org.uk/10k-road-race/

I did Balfron last year. Found the second half very tough, and it was a still day!

There will be seethe. I think I have applied 8 or 9 times now. I've certainly got my last 7 confirmations filed in my inbox.

They took away the guaranteed entry for those who had 4 previous failed ballots....in the year I was making my 5th attempt. Surely this year.

There will be seethe. I think I have applied 8 or 9 times now. I've certainly got my last 7 confirmations filed in my inbox.

They took away the guaranteed entry for those who had 4 previous failed ballots....in the year I was making my 5th attempt. Surely this year.

The ballot application got me thinking what kind of time should i be aiming for a marathon? I have a 1:38 half under my belt so would a time of 3:30 be reasonable?

There are obviously a few running experts on P&B so can I ask a question about training?

I've entered a 14km race on 11th August. I've started training this week but am just wondering what the best schedule is. Most of the training plans I find online have you running 3 days a week. Now that's ok but I have footy training on a Wednesday night then play a match on a Saturday. So with that in mind what would you recommend as being the best days to do the running training?

Monday - run training

Tuesday - ?

Wednesday - footy training

Thursday - ?

Friday - ?

Saturday - footy match

Sunday - ?

Oh I can only train at night so couldn't do a Wed morning or something similar. Thanks in advance.

I think you should be basing your estimated finish time on the time taken on longer runs.

I know the entry forms ask the question and probably before you can accuratly say however. With my 1st marathon I estimated 4hrs 20mins based on a guess. I ran a half marathon and came in at 2 hrs 5 mins so felt I was on track. I ran the first half of the actual marathon at 1hr 52mins but finished the b*****d in 4hrs 53mins.

My last marathon was 4hrs 18mins and my last half was 1hr 55mins.

All useless info. I'd say you are not far off. Somewhere between yor target and 4 hours.

The ballot application got me thinking what kind of time should i be aiming for a marathon? I have a 1:38 half under my belt so would a time of 3:30 be reasonable?

You can use a marathon time calculator to base the estimate marathon time based on recent runs

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html

There are obviously a few running experts on P&B so can I ask a question about training?

I've entered a 14km race on 11th August. I've started training this week but am just wondering what the best schedule is. Most of the training plans I find online have you running 3 days a week. Now that's ok but I have footy training on a Wednesday night then play a match on a Saturday. So with that in mind what would you recommend as being the best days to do the running training?

Monday - run training

Tuesday - ?

Wednesday - footy training

Thursday - ?

Friday - ?

Saturday - footy match

Sunday - ?

Oh I can only train at night so couldn't do a Wed morning or something similar. Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but if it was me I'd be looking at the following as a typical week:

Monday: Long run / 9miles*

Tuesday: Rest**

Wednesday: Football training

Thursday: Medium run / 6miles*

Friday: Rest**

Saturday: Football match

Sunday: Short run / 3miles*

-------

*The distances are a guess really as it depends how seriously you're taking it, what your goal is and what your current level is. It's suggested not to increase your mileage by more than 10% a week.

**Also on the Rest days I just mean from impact on your knees/ankles, if your keen you could go to the gym or swim etc.

Most plans will include speed work but tbh the football is probably taking care of that side of things so I'd concentrate on getting the miles in.

Swarley - the only advice I can give you is that I gave up playing football, hockey and squash while training for any big runs. My ankles and knees couldn't take it. I took a few dull ones as well that stopped my from training.

Thanks TM, but quitting the footy is a no-go. You have to pay $300 odd registration fees and I ain't writing that off. Plus I don't know how many years I've got left playing at the top level (Over 35s Div3 :rolleyes: ) so don't want to miss out!

I'm no expert, but if it was me I'd be looking at the following as a typical week...

Appreciated, am going to give the Mon, Thu & Sun running training a go. :thumsup2

I agree with TM on the marathon - 16 weeks at a minimum would probably get you round.

As for the 10k it depends on what you are looking to do and how fit you are in terms of your base fitness. If you are reasonably fit you should be able to get a decent time after a 12 week programme.