P&b Running Club

Balloch to Clydebank was a bit of a disaster for me.

Started fine. 23ish for 5k, 48ish at 10k, through 7 miles at 56ish. Not Ziggy pace, but I was happy. Calf tightened around 8 miles, and then at 10 took a misstep off the kerb and felt it go.

Decided to finish because I wanted a tee-shirt and half walked, half ran, fully limped home. In a lot of pain, and the good news is it isn't feeling much better yet.

Well done Neffie and commiserations Wee Bully. Did another HM myself this morning at 4:30 pace in 1 hr 34 mins 52 secs. Was enjoyable until IT band started playing up a little after 8k. Thankfully it passed and managed to keep on going (just as well as I was miles from home). Really thinking about Edinburgh 10 mile and half - but will need to get accommodation sorted first

I'm aiming to do the Edinburgh half as well so give me a shout if you need lift through or back. Think I'm going to see if i can stay with my friend the night before.

Well done!! Sub 20 is a big landmark. (Well it was for me anyway)

I agree with Bishy. Sub 19'30 should be your next goal. It's close enough to be motivating whilst still being tough to achieve. The difference between sub 20 & sub 19 is huge so you need an intermediate target.

I did the Balloch to Clydebank Half today. I had told myself that I was just going to use it as a training run but before it even started I knew I was just kidding myself on. So having decided on racing it I set off trying to do each mile around 6'45 pace. All of the miles were done in between 6'40 & 6'50 apart from the last one which I did in 6'23.

Really pleased with a new PB of about 1'28"30 but even more pleased with how easy it seemed. The pace of that last mile makes me think I should have tried to go a little bit quicker earlier on.

The bad news is that I have blisters on the end of just about every toe. I recently got custom insoles made and whilst they seem to have helped my running I've yet to find a combination of trainers and socks that don't hurt the end of my toes.

I might have to buy a new pair of trainers but it's a bit close to my marathon to be breaking in new trainers.

that's a great time for the half. I always finish dying, but think "I could have went harder for longer at the end". I always put vaseline on my feet and socks to stop blisters.

I'm going to go for 19:30 next.

Question: doing a training plan for a 10k at the moment, based on 3 runs a week. The "long" run starts at 10km length then gradually increases up to 16km before tapering down again. Anyone know why this is? Presumably you can already run the distance as you're starting at 10km, why does the programme have you increase distance rather than speed?

Question: doing a training plan for a 10k at the moment, based on 3 runs a week. The "long" run starts at 10km length then gradually increases up to 16km before tapering down again. Anyone know why this is? Presumably you can already run the distance as you're starting at 10km, why does the programme have you increase distance rather than speed?

Running for a longer time at a slightly slower pace causes various physiological changes in your body that running faster won't. All good training plans will be made up of runs of varying distances, paces and intensities because they all have different benefits.

It's also good mentally because once you've ran 16k a few times you'll start viewing 10k as a relatively short run.

Use the shorter runs in the program as the workouts to increase speed and the longer ones as ways to increase stamina.

that's a great time for the half. I always finish dying, but think "I could have went harder for longer at the end". I always put vaseline on my feet and socks to stop blisters.

I'm going to go for 19:30 next.

Thanks Neefie. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised at how well it went. It's 'only' 1 min 30sec faster than my previous pb but I really didn't think I was anywhere near that shape. I thought I was setting off at a quite ambitious pace but I wish I'd pushed my luck a bit more now.

I've got another half this Sunday but I'm definitely just taking this one easy. I can't risk injury this close to London.

I had lots of vaseline on my feet but still got lots of blisters. My trainers don't feel too tight, I just think my toes are in a different position.

It's also good mentally because once you've ran 16k a few times you'll start viewing 10k as a relatively short run.

Use the shorter runs in the program as the workouts to increase speed and the longer ones as ways to increase stamina.

This. One benefit of training for a half marathon last year was that I no longer think of 10k as a decent work out, and I know I can push myself harder to get shorter runs done quicker.

Really need to get back into running regularly. Had some relatives over last week and spent most of my time eating, drinking and doing tourist shit. My next run will be hell.

2 pretty short runs (just under and over 6km) done over the last few mornings as last preparation for the Kilomathon on Sunday. Trying to first of all beat last year's time of 1 hr 2 mins, but the big (and I'm thinking difficult) target is to get round in under the hour.

I've started getting blisters, wondering if I need my running reanalysed as I've lost a lot of weight and wonder if that's changed running?

Have you changed what socks you run in? Do you put vaseline on your feet before running?

It's quite probable that you're running differently from when you first started but it might be something else that is causing the blisters.

How old are your trainers and how many miles have you ran in them?

I did just under 18 slow miles last night and it was all a bit of a slog.

Part of that was deliberate as I did it without any water or gels. I also planned the route so that it had mile long hills at miles 5, 13 & 15.

It wasn't all that enjoyable but it should make London seem a bit more enjoyable in comparison (hopefully :unsure: ).

The good news is that wearing different socks and applying a ridicolous amount of vaseline seems to have stopped me getting any new blisters.

Did a 3.3 mile handicap race on Tuesday. PB'd by 31 secs in a time of 21:19. First mile was at 6 min/mile pace.

Doing the parkrun tomorrow. No training on Tuesday, easy session on Thursday then final X-C race a week on sat.

The good news is that wearing different socks and applying a ridicolous amount of vaseline seems to have stopped me getting any new blisters.

Glad it is stopping the blisters.

I don't know if anyone is interested but the BBC will be covering the New York Half Marathon on the Red Button and sport website tomorrow morning at 11.30. Mo Farah is using it as a warm up race for London and I wonder if he'll be able to do it in under an hour.

I'll miss it as I'll be thumping around the streets of Alloa in my own warm up half marathon. In case you're wondering, it's unlikely that I'll do it in under an hour.

No-one near them means one of two things - near the front or near the back!

Based purely on the bright colour of trainers worn by the guy behind him, I'm guessing that's he's really near the front.