P&b Running Club

2 pretty short runs (just under and over 6km) done over the last few mornings as last preparation for the Kilomathon on Sunday. Trying to first of all beat last year's time of 1 hr 2 mins, but the big (and I'm thinking difficult) target is to get round in under the hour.

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be there too; my third year. Hoping for a less windy day than we've had today for it.

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be there too; my third year. Hoping for a less windy day than we've had today for it.

Cheers, managed to beat my target reasonably comfortably in the end, round in 58 minutes dead which I'm delighted with (although my watch says it was only 12.9km!). Fortunately the wind didn't seem to have too much of an effect.

How did you get on?

Edited by true_rover

The course and conditions at the Alloa Half were brutal. Running in to a really strong wind for the all of the miles between 5 and 9 and then a mile long hill at mile 11.

I set off trying to go sub 1'28 and I was ahead of that by about 45 seconds at half way. However I think I ended up missing it by about 15 seconds.

That's still a pb by about 10 seconds but the difference in effort between last week and this week was massive. I honestly don't think I could have tried much harder today, it was nasty.

I guess it'd be a bit easier on a less windy day but I still don't think I'll enter the Alloa Half ever again.

Edited by Ziggy

Another 21.1km run for me this morning. Pretty blustery conditions at times made it far more difficult. Put in a bit more effort throughout and got around in 1' 31" 54. Still had a bit left in the tank at the end, although had some pain in my ITB again.

Cheers, managed to beat my target reasonably comfortably in the end, round in 58 minutes dead which I'm delighted with (although my watch says it was only 12.9km!). Fortunately the wind didn't seem to have too much of an effect.

How did you get on?

Cracking effort, mission accomplished! You'd comfortably have been under 60 minutes even with those extra 200 metres!

Clocked 55:21 according to the text; very happy with that, a slight improvement on my 55:52 last year (was 1:01:something 2 years ago). Went out too quick again and was blowing out my arse from 7km and slowly worked my way backwards.

Well done on the PB, Ziggy, even if you had been hoping for more. I'd heard good things about Alloa (mainly on here, I suspect) - what put you off it?

Cracking effort, mission accomplished! You'd comfortably have been under 60 minutes even with those extra 200 metres!

Clocked 55:21 according to the text; very happy with that, a slight improvement on my 55:52 last year (was 1:01:something 2 years ago). Went out too quick again and was blowing out my arse from 7km and slowly worked my way backwards.

Well done on the PB, Ziggy, even if you had been hoping for more. I'd heard good things about Alloa (mainly on here, I suspect) - what put you off it?

Good stuff, a PB is always great, no matter how it comes!

One thing I was surprised about was how consistent my kilometres were - all were between 4:30 and 4:38, other than the first and the last couple which were a touch quicker. Especially when it felt at some points near 10k like I was all over the place!

Thanks, and well done on a very good run.

There was nothing wrong with the organisation that was superb, so please don't let me put you off running it.

It's just a tough course especially in today's wind. The middle part of the run is the 6 mile stretch along the A91 between Tillicoultry and Menstrie and today that was straight into the very strong wind.

I'd recommend it to others and if it hadn't been so windy I'd probably have loved it.

So in summary, it was windy and I'm a bit of a wimp.

Ps. True Rover, I bet you ran at least 13k today. According to my Garmin the Alloa Half was only 13.07 however the Garmin of the guy next to me at the finish had measured it as 13.22. Garmin's are not totally accurate.

Thanks, and well done on a very good run.

There was nothing wrong with the organisation that was superb, so please don't let me put you off running it.

It's just a tough course especially in today's wind. The middle part of the run is the 6 mile stretch along the A91 between Tillicoultry and Menstrie and today that was straight into the very strong wind.

I'd recommend it to others and if it hadn't been so windy I'd probably have loved it.

So in summary, it was windy and I'm a bit of a wimp.

Ps. True Rover, I bet you ran at least 13k today. According to my Garmin the Alloa Half was only 13.07 however the Garmin of the guy next to me at the finish had measured it as 13.22. Garmin's are not totally accurate.

Well done on all the pbs guys.

Garmins are definitely not 100% accurate - I find they normally underestimate distance by a small amount and you can see this when you look at the imprint map of your run.

Yeah I would imagine it wouldn't be 100% accurate, especially with the amount of bridges I ran under today. It actually gave me 50m extra on the parkrun the other week. I would expect there is a small percentage margin of error.

A few laps of the local hills last night. 5k in just under 30 minutes. Felt I could have done a lot more but it was pretty dark when I finished so decided to head home. Will start increasing the distance again, as I feel surprisingly fitter than I expected, even taking into account the gym sessions over the winter. I think I'll stick to the hills for the next few months, though I'll need to find a few more routes to avoid getting bored which I tend to do when I do laps.

I use the Nike running app on my phone and i noticed that it kept having a weak signal throughout my run, would this of affected on how far it thought i had ran?

Map where you ran on Google maps and see what it says.

If you're not a regular runner that's a very good time you got!

Went over on my ankle tonight, thankfully it seems to be just a slight sprain. I had intended to do quite a long run but decided to abort it as I didn't want to risk potential further damage with a marathon under 3 weeks away. Tonight also reminded me how much I hate the wind. I'll hate it if it's windy for the Lochaber marathon, especially with it being an out and back course.

5.8 miles in 46 minutes, could of did more but decided against it, longest run ive done. looking to do a 10k this year so think i could do it

G_man, If you can do 5.8 miles just now on your own then you'll have absolutely no bother doing a 10k in an organized event. Go for it.

As for me............Just like last week, I moved my long run to mid week and just like last week it's left me a bit demoralized. 18 miles after work is a bit of a chore.

However I've got no other races planned so won't have to do any more really long mid week runs.

Went over on my ankle tonight, thankfully it seems to be just a slight sprain. I had intended to do quite a long run but decided to abort it as I didn't want to risk potential further damage with a marathon under 3 weeks away. Tonight also reminded me how much I hate the wind. I'll hate it if it's windy for the Lochaber marathon, especially with it being an out and back course.

The wind could make Lochaber tough.

Are you feeling confident?

Out up the hills again last night. 5.3ish km in 29 minutes. Quite a few folk out last night running similar routes to me, but they all seemed to be doing it the other way round and were running up the easy side and down the steep side. Not sure what I should make of that.

Anybody going to buy one of these?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2584577/The-jacket-makes-run-faster-Smart-garment-lights-flashes-youre-quick-enough.html

Not sure if I fancy running about looking like a mobile Christmas tree.