P&b Running Club

Going to have to come west to check this out at some stage. It seems Drumchapel has quickly become notorious!

Considering signing up for the Jimmy Irvine 10k in mid-November. Has anyone here done it before? How is it?

Well done on the PB, stellaboz. Smashed it!

Not done the Jimmy Irvine before but I've signed up this year. It's the week after the southside 6 so we'll see how the legs are!

Wondered that myself, although there are a few parkruns round the world which get these numbers. Tbh, 30 is a decent number, because the path is so narrow at the start that you're already standing still for a while from the off. 

I've only done it once so I can't remember the course exactly, but from memory, the 2 downhill bits are quite twisty and turny. Surely it would be better if they ran the course in the opposite direction? I'd feel a lot safer on that gravel going up than down. 

It would definitely be better if it was run in reverse. Much faster and far safer. They will HAVE to run it that way in the winter, as those sharp downhills will be impossible with even the slightest touch of ice.

Going to have to come west to check this out at some stage. It seems Drumchapel has quickly become notorious!

Considering signing up for the Jimmy Irvine 10k in mid-November. Has anyone here done it before? How is it?

Well done on the PB, stellaboz. Smashed it!

JI Bella 10k is a fast course. The issue is the weather - was freezing two years ago and pishing down and gale force winds last year. Last years were the worst conditions I have ever raced in!

I will probably be doing it again. That and the SS6 will be my last two races of the year after GSR 10k.

Good PB there Stellaboz - particularly impressive given the lack of a proper pre-race toilet routine! Is that your first half since that day I saw you at Inverness a year and a half ago?

I did the Jimmy Irvine 10k last year too, and as Bishy says, the weather was terrible - the worst I've raced in as well. I did my first sub-40 time that day despite the awful weather and having sore legs from a hard hill session a couple of days before, so it's definitely a quick route. I beat my PB by 30 seconds, but on a good day and with fresh legs I'm sure I'd have absolutely smashed it. On a good day, it would definitely be a good race to finish off for the year.

JI Bella 10k is a fast course. The issue is the weather - was freezing two years ago and pishing down and gale force winds last year. Last years were the worst conditions I have ever raced in!

I will probably be doing it again. That and the SS6 will be my last two races of the year after GSR 10k.

Looks like I've booked all the same races as you! I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a bunch of the XC relays etc as well with the club. Also looking forward to the Houston relays on Saturday (worst ever race there last year and need to make up for it!)

Good PB there Stellaboz - particularly impressive given the lack of a proper pre-race toilet routine! Is that your first half since that day I saw you at Inverness a year and a half ago?

I did the Jimmy Irvine 10k last year too, and as Bishy says, the weather was terrible - the worst I've raced in as well. I did my first sub-40 time that day despite the awful weather and having sore legs from a hard hill session a couple of days before, so it's definitely a quick route. I beat my PB by 30 seconds, but on a good day and with fresh legs I'm sure I'd have absolutely smashed it. On a good day, it would definitely be a good race to finish off for the year.

Thanks Socks and yeah, first half since then. Only done 10/11k a few times past few months too so feeling that if i up my mileage i can get below 1 hour 50 easily enough with a similarly flat race.

Cheers for the positive reports on the Jimmy Irvine (weather aside!), I got myself signed up earlier.

I'm also doing Southside Six the week before for the first time. I have no idea where I'm going so I'm hoping to wing it and follow someone along!

Dumfries half marathon this weekend for me. Forecast is crap and the second half is apparently uphill - think I'll struggle to get anywhere near my Kirkcudbright time and finishing position, especially as it's part of a half marathon championship. Smashing.

Dumfries half marathon this weekend for me. Forecast is crap and the second half is apparently uphill - think I'll struggle to get anywhere near my Kirkcudbright time and finishing position, especially as it's part of a half marathon championship. Smashing.

Good luck!

Kilbarchan relays for me. I made a mess of them last year by doing parkrun in the morning and a full lap warm up to learn the course. I was done in before I started and struggled round in 18.50 (only 2.7 miles!!). Aiming for 17 mins this year. Anyone else going?

On 15/09/2016 at 12:19, Cardinal Richelieu said:

None actually planned. Got the HM in Glasgow next month, then a 10k in Stranraer in November (hopefully, the website booking system won't work and they've dinghied my email). 

Other than that, going to try getting back into parkruns regularly, as it keeps me off the sauce on Friday night (a bit). Did Tollcross on Saturday and was only 4 seconds outside my PB for that course, which I was quite pleased with. Do you ever do parkruns? There's quite a lot out there now, from the easy-going (Linwood and Vicky Park) to the much harder (Springburn and Tollcross) to the suicidal (Drumchapel). 

I remembered someone on here had mentioned they were entering and was going to post it was cancelled due to lack of entries - you may have found the reason for that!

Guest bernardblack

Anyone signed up for the great Scottish run?

Just finished an 11km there to start the tapering off of my training.

The hill at the start of the race is still in my head though!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I remembered someone on here had mentioned they were entering and was going to post it was cancelled due to lack of entries - you may have found the reason for that!

Cheers. Eventually got a reply, which was also sent to another person requesting that they reply to my original email. And that's now been dinghied. 

Of course, already bought the cheap train tickets now. Ah well, there are worse places to spend a Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, Rossi1990 said:

I'm doing the half marathon next Sunday, so looking forward to that. Doing 10.5 tomorrow, then a few easy runs next week to get ready.

It's my first time doing the GSR and was just wondering what the course is like?

I've done a few different HMs and it's definitely my favourite. It can be a bit cramped, especially at the start and in the narrow bits like Pollok Park, but apart from that it's fine. 

I like it cos it's not that hilly. The only two significant hills are near the start so you get them out the way early. You get to run over the Kingston Bridge which is quite a novelty, and you usually get cars honking at you in support (at least I presume that's what they are doing). If the weather is nice, you get loads of people out cheering you on throughout the route (I must have high-fived at least a hundred kids the last time). The run through Pollok Park is very pleasant as well (Bellahouston less so because it's so open, you can see all the people a mile in front of you). 

The route is slightly different from last year near the end (I think it cuts out the bit round Festival park and so we have to run over the Clyde a couple more times to compensate), but you should have a great time. 

Only slight criticisms would be the crap non-running T-shirt you get at the end, and the "Wonder Wall" which is supposed to flash messages from your friends as you run past, but never has in the last three years (maybe all the messages were too offensive!). 

Any tips on prep in the last week for GSR HM? Did my last longish run yesterday before it (6 miles in 54mins dead, a pace which would see me hit my 2 hour target) but wondering if there's any particularly good tips for being as prepared as possible on the day?

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Any tips on prep in the last week for GSR HM? Did my last longish run yesterday before it (6 miles in 54mins dead, a pace which would see me hit my 2 hour target) but wondering if there's any particularly good tips for being as prepared as possible on the day?

Don't spend the night before googling tips for tackling a half marathon. I was freaking out after doing that. Same with the route - after doing that for the Dumfries one on Sunday I'm now worried. Ultimately it matters not a jot - you've signed up to do it so at this stage it doesn't matter if it's flat as anything or up a steep hill. 

Take jelly babies to eat during the race.