P&b Running Club

I did it this year - really well organised race and good fun to do.

Just make sure to keep enough in the tank for the hill at 10 miles - it goes on for around a mile and, for me, when combined with the temperature increasing that weekend, finished off my PB chances.

Unsurprisingly, I didn't get in to London either. Oh well, I'll try again next year. Aviemore this weekend. I'm doing the 10k, although I'd originally signed up to the half. Training went tits up and I seem to have a bit of an issue with my left IT band which is Not Good. I'll be lucky to get round in under an hour on Sunday.

I had a go at the short course cross country's the last 2 weeks. Both 4k, West district at Kilmacolm and Renfrewshire at Bellahouston. Ran terribly the first week and a lot stronger the second week. Quite enjoyed the experience though. Great to see Calum Hawkins running Kilmacolm. He was just flat out sprinting!

Can't do the nationals at cumbernauld this Saturday as there's the small matter of Morton at Hampden! Anyone here done these or planning any XC?

I've never done any XC but really fancy having a go this year, assuming I can get back running in time. The nationals are at the end of February in Falkirk, so I'm hoping to be ready by then. I like being out in rain and mud, so I'm pretty sure it would suit me pretty well.

Well done folks over the last few weeks - just been reading through how everyone did in their races in September and early October, and there looks to have been some pretty good runs there from a lot of folk.

So Aviemore 10k ended up being Aviemore 8.24k. There was no marshal at a turn so about a mile was cut off the course. Didn't really bother me, I decided before the race just to treat it as a fun run, but there are a lot of unhappy runners!

wrt XC, I'm running my first XC race next week. Quite excited!

Someone at running club is trying to convince me to go to a track session tomorrow night, where you run for say 10 lots of 400m with a "recovery" in between each one. What exactly is recovery? Is it standing about, walking for a minute or nipping off to the pub?

Does anybody know if running with a weight on your back has any benefits, or will I just f**k my back up?

I'm on a training course and took running gear in a backpack, changed at the end of the day and ran 4 miles back with my clothes and jacket in the backpack.

I would normally run 4 miles no bother but I was knackered when I finished, so clearly having to burn a lot more energy. Just curious if this will help me running normally without the weight.

Someone at running club is trying to convince me to go to a track session tomorrow night, where you run for say 10 lots of 400m with a "recovery" in between each one. What exactly is recovery? Is it standing about, walking for a minute or nipping off to the pub?

Do it. Track running is great, and interval sessions are really good for building up speed.

Me and a couple of guys from our club have been doing 6x 1 mile efforts on Wednesdays for the last few weeks with 2 min recovery. Hoping to see some benefits in upcoming races. It's bloody hard!

36 minutes ago, tigerton said:

Do it. Track running is great, and interval sessions are really good for building up speed.

Me and a couple of guys from our club have been doing 6x 1 mile efforts on Wednesdays for the last few weeks with 2 min recovery. Hoping to see some benefits in upcoming races. It's bloody hard!

Aye I'm going to give it a try, I usually try to go to the speedplay on a Thursday night where we take it in turns to run quarter/half mile circuits. This seems  abit more structured and won't have any hanging around while waiting on your partner doing their run.

On 17/10/2016 at 19:02, Gaz said:

11km this morning in 58:53.

Going to try for 12km tomorrow. Love a week's holiday!

Did 12k last night, average pace was about 5:15. Distance is coming on well, need to wait until I've lost another couple of stone before focusing on speed.

1 hour ago, BigBo10 said:

Anyone have any good tips to help cure plantar fasciitis? Had it for weeks and spend time in my feet at work so although using massage ball had physio and stretching it still won't shift. Any ideas.

Rest is the only thing that works for me. It then last 2-3 months then back again. Feel like an old man getting up in the mornings like.

2 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

Anyone have any good tips to help cure plantar fasciitis? Had it for weeks and spend time in my feet at work so although using massage ball had physio and stretching it still won't shift. Any ideas.

My wife had it bad, and she's not a runner. Doc prescribed cortisone injection. First attempt was okay but wore off after a few weeks. She had another eye-watering injection in the sole of her foot 3 months later and it worked for quite a while but eventually wore off. I suggested motion control trainers and took her into Run & Become in Edinburgh. They selected a pair of stability trainers for her, to support the arches and stop over-pronation. They made a huge difference, almost an instant cure, so that would be my first tip.
Problem came back if she wore work shoes, so doc referred her to biomechanical clinic and she got custom orthotic insoles that support the arch of her foot and can be used in any shoe. Plantar fasciitis hasn't flared up for 3 years.
Good luck...

3 hours ago, BigBo10 said:

as tam says, rest is the only thing. I got it the week before the loch ness marathon and was out for about 4 months with it. New shoes should help too.