The Cricket Thread

bewlay

England miles on top.  Keaton Jennings has probably cemented his place at the top of the order for the foreseeable future.  So that's one problem position sorted.  Now for a two and a five and you've got a very solid XI there.

So does Jennings fall into the Dawid Malan category in that he can only play away from home?

I think there’s enough there. He’s been successful enough on the county circuit. I think he’s probably going to open in the next Ashes series, which let’s face it, is what really counts.

Fantastic victory for England, winning by 211 runs in the end for their first away win since 2016.
Very comfortable. How good could they be if they can sort out the top of the order?

As well as Ben Foakes scoring a ton, taking some catches, and getting a stumping, he conceded 0 byes through the 2 innings.

Very comfortable. How good could they be if they can sort out the top of the order?

As well as Ben Foakes scoring a ton, taking some catches, and getting a stumping, he conceded 0 byes through the 2 innings.

I think they go with the same XI for the next test. The only possible changes might be Denly at 3, or Broad for Rashid depending on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I think they go with the same XI for the next test. The only possible changes might be Denly at 3, or Broad for Rashid depending on the pitch.

If you bring in denly who you dropping? Mooen with the ball 2nd innings can't be dropped surely?

Right.  There are no moves that obviously strengthen the batting without weakening the bowling.  I reckon Ali will get this series at three, then return down the order for the West Indies.  He's very obviously not the long term answer there, though.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  There are no moves that obviously strengthen the batting without weakening the bowling.  I reckon Ali will get this series at three, then return down the order for the West Indies.  He's very obviously not the long term answer there, though.

Bayliss has said this morning that Ali will drop down the order for the next test.

If Bairstow comes in and doesn't keep wicket I'd expect him to bat at 3. No idea who gets dropped though, maybe one of the spinners?

33 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Bayliss has said this morning that Ali will drop down the order for the next test.

If Bairstow comes in and doesn't keep wicket I'd expect him to bat at 3. No idea who gets dropped though, maybe one of the spinners?

Foalkes is the obvious choice as he's the third choice keeper, but that would be incredibly harsh.  I have no idea what they'll do if that's the case.  Root 3, Bairstow 4, Ali 5?

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Foalkes is the obvious choice as he's the third choice keeper, but that would be incredibly harsh.  I have no idea what they'll do if that's the case.  Root 3, Bairstow 4, Ali 5?

Root won't move up. You bat your best batsmen where they are most comfortable, so Root stays at 4.

Another option is putting Stokes up to 3.

They're saying  it won't be a big turner so Bairstow in and Rashid out I reckon.
Definitely looks like they will wait and see how the pitch looks, loathe to change a team that won so comfortably, but no point playing extra spinners if they aren't needed.

England 120-4 at lunch, this wicket could be mental in the next couple of days as there is plenty of turn in it already.

And to think they were contemplating dropping a spinner.

These are great pitches; so much more entertaining than Indian/UAE “spin” pitches.

If England get to somewhere pushing 275, they’ve got a real chance because you’d hate to be batting last on that.