The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Another 20/30 runs and England are in a good position. The pitch should suit their bowlers and Ali will let Ike seeing the turn Lyon is getting. It's not an easy pitch to score runs on and a 70 lead would be very useful.

There are a number of players completely out of form for England in their middle/lower order. Ali has to bowl well to keep his place in the side but he could drop below Woakes for the 2nd test. Stokes looked in great touch before he got out and I thought he was going to get a big one. Still a lot of English batsmen to fire in the 2nd innings - if you think that Roy, Buttler and Bairstow never got going then there is huge batting potential.

The key, as always, is to get Smith out relatively early - do that and I think England win.

Well this is all starting to go a tad wrong.
Not quite sure the point of Ali at present, is offering no control and batting is poor, so might as well bring in a spinner that can at least tie up an end.

He’s probably only there through lack of options tbh. Wonder if Leach would be worth a look as the main spinner after his batting performance against Ireland? Maybe too much a risk but Mo has been awful for ages now.

Just now, Tarmo Kink said:

He’s probably only there through lack of options tbh. Wonder if Leach would be worth a look as the main spinner after his batting performance against Ireland? Maybe too much a risk but Mo has been awful for ages now.

I reckon Leach would at least be more economical which would at least build a a bit of pressure 

Big Jofra needs to be fit for second test otherwise can forget about it.

57 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

The weather is looking decidedly iffy for the final day. I wonder if the Aussies get a lead in the region of 250 they declare and put England in for a few overs tonight?

I think they will be quite happy to exit with a draw in view of the position they were in at one stage.  England look like they're now playing for time with the bowling to Smith in particular purely trying to slow down the scoring.

It's to rain pretty much from 4pm right through until about 3pm tomorrow so unless the Aussies can throw the bat the next couple of hours and skittle England out cheaply I can't see a result.

I think they will be quite happy to exit with a draw in view of the position they were in at one stage.  England look like they're now playing for time with the bowling to Smith in particular purely trying to slow down the scoring.
It's to rain pretty much from 4pm right through until about 3pm tomorrow so unless the Aussies can throw the bat the next couple of hours and skittle England out cheaply I can't see a result.
Way it's gone today England will be happy with a draw. Their body language is awful, lots of meh bowling and no fields set to try and pressure the batsmen. Anything over 220 will be hard to chase, I know the forecast is for rain but it won't be the first time they have got that wrong.

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
48 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Way it's gone today England will be happy with a draw. Their body language is awful, lots of meh bowling and no fields set to try and pressure the batsmen. Anything over 220 will be hard to chase, I know the forecast is for rain but it won't be the first time they have got that wrong.

Very true, the lack of energy in the field at this stage of the series is extremely concerning.  I just hope big Jofra brings some energy to the attack as it's as flat as can be.  

It doesn't help that England have a skipper that is tactically inept.