The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Bob Mahelp

It was interesting listening to BBC 5Live this morning.  They were dismissing Australia's chances because Lyon is apparently only a 'half-decent' spin bowler.......'if it was Shane Warne we'd lose heavily, but Nathan Lyon.....come on...'

Nathan Lyon now has 350 test wickets, and is the third most succesful off-spinner in test history. 

Ooops. 

7 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Have a few cousins who live there & that is the case, even the Aussies don't like the bullying arsehole. Welcome back to normal posting min, you seemed to have had quite the cob on over the last couple of days, it was not a good look tbh.

I am rather opinionated and do like an argument at times but hey, I am as God made me 😎

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It was interesting listening to BBC 5Live this morning.  They were dismissing Australia's chances because Lyon is apparently only a 'half-decent' spin bowler.......'if it was Shane Warne we'd lose heavily, but Nathan Lyon.....come on...'

Nathan Lyon now has 350 test wickets, and is the third most succesful off-spinner in test history. 

Ooops. 

Very underrated player Lyon, as you mention only Warne and Muri have more test wickets than him.

Not like the English to be arrogant tossers regarding sporting opponents, still rather smugly recall Geoff Boycott saying on the BBC Sport app on Thursday this test would be done by Saturday.... 😋

Ooops. 

Who was saying that? I haven't heard/read any English commentator/analyst talking down Lyon for about 6 years!

Guest Moomintroll
Ooops. 

He really isn't that good, his average is only 4 less than Mo & he is a mediocre batsman in comparison even though Mo is shot to pieces at the moment. I do not get the whole GOAT pish that the Aussies spout about him, even though he was a leggie if Stuart MacGill was around right now Lyon wouldn't get a look in & he was never able to get into the Test XI outside the subcontinent because of Warne. Murali averaged 23, Warne averaged 26 at test level, he is at 32.5 & Mo is at 36. Graeme Swann averaged 30 while scoring a lot of runs so I am sorry but Lyon is half decent at best.

97/6.
I've no real love for the Aussies, but the drunken, boorish f*ckwits who are the 'Barmy Army' these days deserve this capitulation. 
Edit : 97/7
The cricket fans are nowhere near as annoying as their football cousins.

They always strike me as a bit older and a bit wiser - and crucially willing to laugh at themselves a bit. Remember that the barmy army thing began when England were getting ragdolled all over the world.

Mental to think that the Aussies were 122/8 in the 1st innings and England were 154/1 in theirs and they are still going to lose by about 250 to a very average Aussie side. Huge pressure on England in the next game - not one for anyone inexperienced so reckon will not be many changes.

Denly, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow and Moeen contribute 109 between them !!

Edited by FuzzyBear

Guest Moomintroll

Open to get shot down but depending on Jimmy being fit 10 days from now this should be the team at Lords.

Burns
Sibley
Root ©
Roy
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Bess
Broad/Archer
Anderson/Archer

If Jimmy isn't fit then Archer replaces him & bats at 11, if Jimmy is fit then Broad needs to make way as Woakes is the better option & dropping Stokes would wreck the balance of the team & cause far too much disruption.

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Open to get shot down but depending on Jimmy being fit 10 days from now this should be the team at Lords.

Burns
Sibley
Root ©
Roy
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Bess
Broad/Archer
Anderson/Archer

If Jimmy isn't fit then Archer replaces him & bats at 11, if Jimmy is fit then Broad needs to make way as Woakes is the better option & dropping Stokes would wreck the balance of the team & cause far too much disruption.

Don't disagree but would be very surprised if they played such an inexperienced team in a "must not lose" match.

Can't see England dropping Broad, he has no injury concerns and has still managed a few wickets and can swing the bat when necessary and get a handful of runs, whereas Anderson is a proper number 11 with the bat, even if he is 'fit', how fit will he really be?

Given the toll fast bowling takes on the body any niggling doubt should see Archer in his place.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Can't see England dropping Broad, he has no injury concerns and has still managed a few wickets and can swing the bat when necessary and get a handful of runs, whereas Anderson is a proper number 11 with the bat, even if he is 'fit', how fit will he really be?

Given the toll fast bowling takes on the body any niggling doubt should see Archer in his place.

Archer for Anderson, somebody for Denly, maybe, and perhaps a change of spinner.  In all honesty, other than the last three sessions, that was a pretty close test match.  I don't think England are a mile off Australia at all.