The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Windies set 2 new records in their ODI against India. Gayle and Lewis hit 114 from the first 10 overs, highest score from 10 overs by a side batting first. They also hit 8 sides, also the highest from 10 overs.

Both if them went out in the next 2 overs though, currently 121-2 from 12.

Play abandoned for the day. 4 day test rules should now apply, 98 overs for the next 4 days, but we are likely to lose 2 or 3 more sessions over those days. 
I've never quite understood why they don't put the extra time at the start of the day rather than the end. Could they not start at 10.30?

Oman get the 230, winning by 4 wickets with 5 balls to spare. Thought they were toast at 6 down, hope the Scotland coaching staff were paying attention that this team can bat down their order a bit. Roll on tomorrow - forecast is good. 

Edited by Scorge

Euro T20 Slam cancelled

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27387389/inaugural-euro-t20-slam-cancelled-two-weeks-notice

The tournament's organisers released a statement saying that "the board of the Euro T20 Slam, funding partners and franchise owners of this exciting new T20 tournament have reluctantly come to the decision that staging of the event will not be possible in 2019," though did not expand upon the specifics behind the decision.

Seems a bit of a shambles tbh. 

Euro T20 Slam cancelled
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27387389/inaugural-euro-t20-slam-cancelled-two-weeks-notice
The tournament's organisers released a statement saying that "the board of the Euro T20 Slam, funding partners and franchise owners of this exciting new T20 tournament have reluctantly come to the decision that staging of the event will not be possible in 2019," though did not expand upon the specifics behind the decision.
Seems a bit of a shambles tbh. 
Bbc reporting it's been postponed until 2020. Disappointing either way

I sensed this would happen when the Global T20 Canada faced issues regarding paying their players (same owners as ET20S).

In other news, India currently facing another conundrum surrounding their number 4. Iyer has put in two great performances as Pant puts in back-to-back stinkers, after his back-to-back top performances. Then you have the more established KL Rahul there as well.

1 hour ago, Uncle Psychosis said:

funding partners and franchise owners of this exciting new T20 tournament have reluctantly come to the decision that staging of the event will not be possible in 2019,"

That's PR speak for 'we've nae got the telly money' IMO. Personally not a fan of the whole franchising circus so not too arsed if I'm honest, though the novelty of some mercenaries  top international talent at close quarters would have been interesting. Bring on the real stuff tomorrow.

Was incredibly strange that Ross Taylor was announced for the Glasgow Giants only a few hours before it was called off. Something strange there.

McCullum’s decision to not play the Euro T20 Slam before his retirement was likely down to the same owners not paying him properly in Canada.
Certainly makes sense regarding McCullum. The whole thing smacks of being a bit amateur hour.

Listened to Jonathan Agnew's interview with Glenn McGrath and Andrew Strauss earlier. Heart breaking and inspirational in equal measure.

Guest Moomintroll
Virat Kohli makes back to back hundreds and becomes the first ever player to score 20,000 international runs inside a decade.
As much as I detest his aggressive attitude when Umpires do not bend to his will, he really is an incredible batsman.

I honestly think it would be a bit harsh if Denly got dropped. He hasn’t been great but he’s mostly been better than Moeen, Bairstow, Buttler and Roy. Considering Root is the captain I’d say he’s been equally as poor too. Denly just doesn’t have the lifeline of being a proven England player like the rest.

Burns might not be a superstar but he’s nailing down this opening spot IMO. Just as I type this he’s gone.