The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Curran unlucky to miss out again despite being an annoying little p***k (again) in the recent Blast game. Suspect we won’t see him in unless Buttler gets dropped or there’s another bowling injury.
I think being more medium paced will work against him in the bowling stakes but bairstow is so out of form at the moment with the bat he could get in as another all rounder and buttler keeping

I wouldn't bother with Leach in the 11. I'd bring in Archer and Curran, and just have Denly and Root as the spin options. 

I’d do this as well but they won’t. Taking out Ali you effectively need to replace a spinner and a batsman aswell. Taking into account England’s recent batting, lack of top level spinner options and the overall English conditions it might actually be worth the risk of going without a main full-time spinner.

Curran arguably strengthens the batting and probably won’t weaken the bowling as much as Leach possibly would.

3 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I’d do this as well but they won’t. Taking out Ali you effectively need to replace a spinner and a batsman aswell. Taking into account England’s recent batting, lack of top level spinner options and the overall English conditions it might actually be worth the risk of going without a main full-time spinner.

Curran arguably strengthens the batting and probably won’t weaken the bowling as much as Leach possibly would.

I don't think there is any arguement to be had, Curran is currently a better test match batsman than Moeen Ali. It's unlikely that a spinner is going to rip through a team at Lord's, unless they are top top quality. Leach didn't have great figures there against Ireland, and this test is at the same venue against a better team. Root and Denly will offer just as much threat.

Moeen taking a short break from cricket after being left out of the second test squad.

England waiting to see what the weather is like before naming their team, forecast at the moment is for rain on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Australia have left Pattinson out of the squad, with Starc taking his place. Hazelwood expected to start though.

6 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Looking forward to the Ashes tomorrow. Unfortunately it falls on the same day at the Galle Test, the Scotland Tri-Series and the WI-India 3rd ODI which is a bit of a pain in the arse. All of that on a day I’m busy on. Will try and follow it as much as I can.

Weather for London is lots of rain from about 9ish. I dont think we will get more than two hours play from the forecast. 

Edited by dorlomin

Weather for London is lots of rain from about 9ish. I dont think we will get more than two hours play from the forecast. 
Yep, forecast looks grim. Thursday is ok and rain forecast on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. Draw could he a good bet.Screenshot_20190813-214521_BBC%20Weather.jpeg

Guest Moomintroll

Might be one of those frustrating days where play is delayed by a wet outfield & then starts just when the band of rain expected at noon turns up.

Should be play after tea, perhaps even before. 

Toss was scheduled for 3 with a 3.30 start, but the rain came on again just before 3. Still raining quite heavily just now.

Going by England's warm up Curran looks to be odd man out, he didn't bat or bowl while Leach had a bowl.