The Cricket Thread

bewlay

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I wouldn't be amazed if Ali gets taken out and replaced with an extra batsman, leaving Root and Denley as the only spinners for Lords. 

Replace Ali with Leach. Archer, if fit, replaces Anderson. 

Drop Bairstow, Buttler keeps wicket. Denly was poor at Edgbaston can be dropped too.

Bring in an experienced batsman and Sam Curran.

Woakes should move up the order with Buttler dropping down the order.

There won't be many changes I reckon.

Denly will stay, as will buttler and bairstow. None of them deserve to be punted at this stage, and there's not loads of other options for the batting.

Archer or the stone will be in in for Anderson. Possibly a replacement for Ali as well.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

And anybody who was looking forward to seeing Brendon McCullum in the Euro T20 can forget it, he's chucked it too after the GT20 in Canada finishes.

Shame that, it would have be nice to have had him playing in Scotland. I'm lucky to have seen him in three T20 games. Anyone that thinks cricket is boring hasn't seen Brendon bat.  Fantastic career including the fastest century in a test match against the Aussies. Go well Brendon most exciting cricketer to watch ever for me.

18 hours ago, peasy23 said:

And anybody who was looking forward to seeing Brendon McCullum in the Euro T20 can forget it, he's chucked it too after the GT20 in Canada finishes.

Anyone managed to buy tickets for this yet? Still seems to be impossible.

14 hours ago, pandarilla said:

There won't be many changes I reckon.

Denly will stay, as will buttler and bairstow. None of them deserve to be punted at this stage, and there's not loads of other options for the batting.

Archer or the stone will be in in for Anderson. Possibly a replacement for Ali as well.

Sam Curran, perhaps, if they think it'll be a non-turning track, but that would require another change for the spinner.  

Ali makes the balance of the side right.  Yes, he's seemingly forgotten how to bat, but he's a beautiful batsman when right.  Having him at eight and Bairstow at 7 is ideal, because it allows you to play a genuine number 11 in Anderson and a pretty hit-or-miss Broad at 10 without worrying about having a tail.  Those of us of a certain age will recall the likes of Andy Caddick batting at 8, with Alan Mullally, Phil Tufnell, and Ed Giddins behind him.  Four number eleven batsmen.

Woakes isn't nearly the batsman Ali is, but if you do drop Ali you push Woakes up to 8 and bring in an out and out spinner - Bess, or whoever.  I've heard chatter that Woakes might be hurt as well though, which pretty much would force either a completely different balance or keeping Ali.

Guest Moomintroll

I need to salute Stuart Broad much as I have criticised him previously, he appears to be the only English pace bowler that can stay fit for more than a week, Ollie Stone never plays but he has went the same way as Mark Wood.

Got in from the football just in time to catch the end of Colin Ackerman setting new record bowling figures for T20, 7-18 from his 4 overs, not surprising it helped the Foxes to a comfortable win over the Bears. First bowler ever to take 7 wickets in a T20 match.

Check the seething top rated comments on HYS for this Glenn McGrath article 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49242377

This is my favourite
"Throughout the years this man has been incredibly nasty. Vicious in the field. The BBC show their anti English Sportsman bias again by givinghim a column. The Aussie crowds more than boo our team. Broad had a terrible onslaught from them. The English in the crowd there are scattered to nullify them. Cmon lads, take a second wind and bounce back. [emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿"

default_jjpleasing.gif&key=acc3b084b4a38e0c83a85f1e8e2fc3d4bc94c16fd045f9cae25081cd323737db
HYS has been absolutely fantastic reading since Edgbaston. Particularly enjoyed the various pish about Atherton's cheating being everything from an accident to a conspiracy, to "well that's different".

f**k knows what will happen at Lords. There's been some bonkers scoring there over the years