The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Guest Moomintroll
Don't disagree but would be very surprised if they played such an inexperienced team in a "must not lose" match.
I agree but the people that are being replaced are walking wickets atm so they aren't losing anything. As Mags has said it would be pointless risking Anderson & Broad has performed well so doesn't really deserve to be dropped so put Archer in at 11 & there is suddenly a pace option alongside a deep batting line up.

Guest Moomintroll
Brilliant test. Looking forward to my visit to Manchester for 3rd test.
Hoping to get there on the 3rd and/or 4th day, if you haven't been before you will be surprised at the amount of Scottish accents around the place.

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
25 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:
Brilliant test. Looking forward to my visit to Manchester for 3rd test.

Hoping to get there on the 3rd and/or 4th day, if you haven't been before you will be surprised at the amount of Scottish accents around the place.

Been to a test match at Durham and county games at Edgbaston and Worcs.

Mate of mine lives in Australia now and comes home once a year and goes up to Celtic Park with us when back, he goes to the odd cricket match down there and tells me even the Australians think Warner is an absolute fucking melt of a guy, not popular with the press/media and the fans, has a very spiky relationship with some of his team mates as well. 
You'd imagine someone of that character would be more of a negative factor in the dressing room than a positive, he is some batsman to be fair and a very good slip catcher but, in this series has not looked himself since coming back from his ban, surprises me that as he has that air of not giving a f**k about being booed and others opinions of him, will be interesting to see how he performs in the next test if selected. 
England five down now, incredible how Australia have turned this around since the hopeless situation they found themselves in after less than two sessions of day one. England need miracle innings now from both Bairstow and Stokes to salvage a draw which is highly unlikely.  

That’s harsh to be fair. You’ll struggle to name more than a couple better batsmen in the T20 and One-Day format than David Warner since his return. Back at the Tests now he’s looked poor but given the circumstances and the location I’m not surprised.

Open to get shot down but depending on Jimmy being fit 10 days from now this should be the team at Lords.

Burns
Sibley
Root [emoji767]
Roy
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Bess
Broad/Archer
Anderson/Archer

If Jimmy isn't fit then Archer replaces him & bats at 11, if Jimmy is fit then Broad needs to make way as Woakes is the better option & dropping Stokes would wreck the balance of the team & cause far too much disruption.

I’d take that team although I’d say it’s more likely to be Leach than Bess, if Mo is even dropped, and Archer has to start IMO. It’s harsh on Denly who has been far from the worst but he doesn’t have the past record of a Root, Bairstow or a Buttler to save himself. I would drop Buttler but I doubt it’ll happen. I’m also a fan of moving Roy to 4 right now with Sibley coming in.

19 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

That’s harsh to be fair. You’ll struggle to name more than a couple better batsmen in the T20 and One-Day format than David Warner since his return. Back at the Tests now he’s looked poor but given the circumstances and the location I’m not surprised.

Was merely a reference to the way he performed in this test, not contributing in either innings, no doubting his abilities in general even if he is a bit of a w**k by all accounts. 

Can't see England changing anything other than Archer for Anderson. Selectors would be admitting they had ballsed it up if they make another couple of changes, and from past experience there's no chance of that happening.

I don’t think they did balls it up. If Bairstow is batting higher than 6 or 7, it’s almost certainly the wrong team.

I don’t think they did balls it up. If Bairstow is batting higher than 6 or 7, it’s almost certainly the wrong team.
I don't think they got it too far wrong either tbf, you wouldn't expect the entire middle order to get out as cheaply twice. There weren't many loud calls for anybody else to be included before the match.

Dale Steyn has retired from Test cricket to prolong his career. Or in other words, he'll try and make as much as he can playing T20s while he still can.

I think he deserves that, in all honesty. He’s put himself through the ringer playing for South Africa when he wasn’t fit.

17 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Dale Steyn has retired from Test cricket to prolong his career. Or in other words, he'll try and make as much as he can playing T20s while he still can.

One of the best fast bowlers of the modern era, frightening at his peak.

I think he deserves that, in all honesty. He’s put himself through the ringer playing for South Africa when he wasn’t fit.
Yep, best of luck to him. Bowlers like him won't have the luxury of playing on in to his 40s like some guys will.