The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Strike rate is not a worry. You are at the end of session 1 on day 2. Buttler, Bess and Woakes are not exactly attritional grinders. 11 sessions left. The pitch is turning on day two. The Duke ball always moves in the air. The Windies screwed up badly by fielding first and are now bowling about as wide as you can without being called. They are running themselves into the ground with potentially a lot of bowling ahead of them. 
Silverwood said when he took over that one of the things he wanted was for players to occupy the crease, do that and the scores will come. This is a very fragile Windies batting line up, can see them wilting under scoreboard pressure, and I won't be surprised if Broad has one of those mad bowling spells with him feeling pissed off at being left out last week.

Given how often England are 50/4 over the past few years, 341/4 is about all they can ask. An opener who seen off over 300 balls and two new balls and the two opening slots settled for the first time since Cook and Strauss were together. The Windies are broken and playing for the draw. Rain tomorrow will help but I can see Bess taking a lot of wickets on this pitch. 

Given how often England are 50/4 over the past few years, 341/4 is about all they can ask. An opener who seen off over 300 balls and two new balls and the two opening slots settled for the first time since Cook and Strauss were together. The Windies are broken and playing for the draw. Rain tomorrow will help but I can see Bess taking a lot of wickets on this pitch. 
Saw this stat on twitter, but as somebody has pointed out this is the 3rd time in 4 tests they have scored 400+ in the first innings.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

So can England get the 19 wickets they need? Or will the windies get the draw quite easily?

It feels like a Stuart Broad pitch to me, I think we'll see a magic spell from him at some point. Bess also has to take a good few wickets, of Curran can develop some nice footholes for him he'll be in business.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:
22 hours ago, pandarilla said:
So can England get the 19 wickets they need? Or will the windies get the draw quite easily?

Complete washout today certainly does the Windies no harm.

If they can bat through the day and get past the 270 they're almost there, if England bowl them out for around 200 then it's game on (unless it tonks down again).

Edited by Scorge

If they can bat through the day and get past the 270 they're almost there, if England bowl them out for around 200 then it's game on (unless it tonks down again).
Aye, think England's best chance of a win now would be to force the follow on. Forecast for Sunday and Monday is fine so it should be 2 full days play.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Not happening for England, this has draw written all over it now.

These wickets are a tad too late.  Broad is such an incredible bowler when on a roll, the knees are a bit higher as he charges in.    An hour ago he would be looking at maybe missing out on the final test, they won't leave him out now.

ETA, I really wonder about Root at times, it was clear that Stokes was struggling yet he makes him bowl another over, bewildering.

Edited by Tynierose

Windies all out for 287. England send Buttler and Stokes in to open. Buttler goes in the first over, very predictable.
I applaud the tactic though.

That's the type of thing strauss and cook would rarely (if ever) do.

Hopefully stokes and Crawley can get a decent partnership going and keep the test alive.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I applaud the tactic though.

That's the type of thing strauss and cook would rarely (if ever) do.

Hopefully stokes and Crawley can get a decent partnership going and keep the test alive.

Oh absolutely, I agree. It's great to see. Personally, I'd have opened with Stokes and Root.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Crawleys missed a straight one so that's what we've got now.

Sibley must be locked in a cupboard!

I suspect that Stuart Broad will get a bat here before Dom, can see Root setting the Windies one of those chases that could go either way but usually results in a few wickets then a turgid blockfest resulting in a draw.

1 minute ago, Perkin Flump said:

I suspect that Stuart Broad will get a bat here before Dom, can see Root setting the Windies one of those chases that could go either way but usually results in a few wickets then a turgid blockfest resulting in a draw.

Yep. I think if they can get the lead up to 240 in the first 5 overs then declare it should be exciting. Also leaves enough overs for a second new ball if required late in the day.

5 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yep. I think if they can get the lead up to 240 in the first 5 overs then declare it should be exciting. Also leaves enough overs for a second new ball if required late in the day.

^^ Hansie Cronje found

I think they will have a thrash to get near a lead of 300 then hope the new ball can get them into the middle order, expect a lot of Bess and Root towards the latter part of the day as there is clearly some turn in the pitch & they can race through overs.

I was actually delighted to see England come out so positively with Stokes and Buttler even if they didn't quite pull it off. Push on in the morning to try and get 300 in front, then hope Broad can pull off another 8 for 15 or something.