The Cricket Thread

bewlay

More wacky third umpiring there. Levelling things up? Anyway, stumps 53-3.
Nothing wacky about it. If the software says umpire's call and the player was given not out then it has to stay not out. Looked plumb to me tbf.

Nightwatchmen are a waste of time.

Foakes was phenomenal behind the stumps today, if he can hit some runs in the next few matches then Buttler might have to wait to get back in.

I suspect England would have been delighted to be heading into the pink ball day/night test with the series at 1-1. They'll be hoping that ball swings the way it has in other matches elsewhere.

Was impressed with how Lawrence batted today. It's obviously extremely difficult to come in when the ball is doing all sorts and India have their tail up but he was positive and survived. Will obviously be done by tea tomorrow I would think but it is important for England to show some resilience with the bat and make India wait as long as possible.

I am a fan of Kohli, he is great box office but I am not sure any other captain would have required a referral by the umpire when he was clean bowled then arguing with the umpires like he was today. He said India were going to be fired up and there was a noticeable increase in intensity, especially from their close fielders. England will have to step up in the next test, if India prepare another pitch like this one then the toss will be all important again.

5 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:
6 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:
India 221-8 at tea. Very good 2nd innings total thanks to Kohli and Ashwin's partnership. Foakes has been very impressive. Two very good keepers on show.

Good knock from Kohli and an excellent ton from Ashwin on a clearly unplayable pitch.

Yep. A bit embarrassing for England that India have gone out and scored 150 runs more than they managed.

If they'd have gotten up to 280 odd in their 1st innings they might have had half a chance of winning.

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yep. A bit embarrassing for England that India have gone out and scored 150 runs more than they managed.

If they'd have gotten up to 280 odd in their 1st innings they might have had half a chance of winning.

It is unreal how many people are complaining about the pitch as if it is cheating, not exactly Indias fault that they have batted better and put the ball in the right spot more often. The pitch is the same for both teams, that said Kohli should be looking at a ban for his latest show of angry dissent towards the Umpires, classless, arrogant p***k as usual.

It is unreal how many people are complaining about the pitch as if it is cheating, not exactly Indias fault that they have batted better and put the ball in the right spot more often. The pitch is the same for both teams, that said Kohli should be looking at a ban for his latest show of angry dissent towards the Umpires, classless, arrogant p***k as usual.

Preparing pitches where winning the toss counts for so much favours the underdog

If Bangladesh did it to England then it would be dodgy gamesmanship

India doing it is more like generosity

It's the same pish everytime England shite it on tour. It's either dodgy pitches or the wrong ball. Tear stained pish, they've simply been utterly outclassed in every aspect of the game here. The Aggers article linked earlier was utterly pathetic stuff.

15 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
4 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

It's the same pish everytime England shite it on tour. It's either dodgy pitches or the wrong ball. Tear stained pish, they've simply been utterly outclassed in every aspect of the game here. The Aggers article linked earlier was utterly pathetic stuff.

Everything will be set up for them favourably in the next test although there is the question as to whether the SG will behave like the Dukes & Kookaburra pink ball. Jimmy will be back & Chris Woakes will potentially be picked as the ball should swing & seam more so he could be batting 9 which means next to no tail. Good teams find a way to win in all conditions so blaming the pitch is a pathetic excuse.

I'm not hearing the actual team or coaching squad blame the pitch all - anybody that things Aggers speaks for English cricket, well...

In fact, I am struggling to think of when the actual team has ever really complained about the ball or the pitch anytime recently. The Indian team/board etc had plenty of complaints after the first test so it was never in doubt this one was going to rag square.

Cricket media complains about pitches - happens absolutely everywhere - to think it is only England or they are worse than any other team doesn't fit with what I see.

Anyway, Root and Stokes doing alright here but always feels like a matter of time. Have to show they can bat time right down the order. Game is obviously done but there are another two matches and it could be important for the mindset.

Well, that is that. An absolute shellacking - 6 game away winning streak ends.

India, in those conditions, must be near to unbeatable - some team.

I would say Anderson and Crawley will come back next test in place of Broad and Lawrence. Not sure if Stone will play, will probably depend on the conditions but I would say they need somebody with pace. Next one is day/night so will be interesting.

1 hour ago, Saigon Raider said:

Well, that is that. An absolute shellacking - 6 game away winning streak ends.

India, in those conditions, must be near to unbeatable - some team.

I would say Anderson and Crawley will come back next test in place of Broad and Lawrence. Not sure if Stone will play, will probably depend on the conditions but I would say they need somebody with pace. Next one is day/night so will be interesting.

Jofra was only expected to miss this test, and Wood is back in the squad as well. Bairstow has to come in to the team, he's one of England's best players of spin.

If everyone is fit, my team:

Sibley

Crawley

Bairstow

Root

Stokes

Pope

Foakes

Ali

Archer

Leach

Anderson

Moeen Ali has asked to go home and get out of the bubble. Nice wee innings from him this morning too.

India's seamers took all 20 wickets the last time they played a home pink ball test, can see England going with Anderson, Woakes and Broad in the next test.

The England Team visited an Orphanage in Chennai yesterday..
"It's heart breaking to see their little faces with no hope" said Rajesh, aged 6.

A rare nugget of fun from the shitshow that is BBC HYS. Anyhoo, 1-1, set up nicely for the last 2. England will fancy their chances in the day nighters with the pink ball under the lights. Indian tails will be up now though. Hope the pitch holds up a little longer than this one did and that the standard of umpiring is a little better. Should be a cracker. Can't wait.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Moeen Ali has asked to go home and get out of the bubble. Nice wee innings from him this morning too.

India's seamers took all 20 wickets the last time they played a home pink ball test, can see England going with Anderson, Woakes and Broad in the next test.

Real shame.  He’s England’s best spinner by a mile, and is a great batsman for a number 8.   My guess he’s probably done at international level now, but of all the players to get the virus, it was always going to be Moeen.  

Real shame.  He’s England’s best spinner by a mile, and is a great batsman for a number 8.   My guess he’s probably done at international level now, but of all the players to get the virus, it was always going to be Moeen.  
Aye, can understand why he would want a break though. His bowling was a bit inconsistent but there were some small signs that he was getting better as the match went on. Took some big wickets.

I wonder if they just go with one spinner in the third test. They haven't brought either of the reserves in to the squad to replace Moeen, so it's just Bess and Leach. With the pink ball expected to swing more, it probably makes sense to play Woakes ahead of Bess. Root should then play a bigger role with the ball (of England's spinners, I think he actually offers the most control. His best ball is not as good as Bess/Leach/Moeen, but he offers up less boundary balls). 

Aye, can understand why he would want a break though. His bowling was a bit inconsistent but there were some small signs that he was getting better as the match went on. Took some big wickets.
The ball to get Kohli in the first innings was almost unplayable. I suspect the previous comments about him being done at international level are correct. Totally understandable with his well documented mental health issues so best of luck to him. He'll certainly be missed.

5 hours ago, jaggyness said:
5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The ball to get Kohli in the first innings was almost unplayable. I suspect the previous comments about him being done at international level are correct. Totally understandable with his well documented mental health issues so best of luck to him. He'll certainly be missed.

Absolutely. Touring in a bubble with coronavirus must have been pretty hellish for anyone.  

So it turns out Moeen didn’t ask to leave at all, it was always planned that be would go home after the second test in India. He was asked if he would stay on but stick with the original plan. Not great communication from Silverwood and Root on this one.

India v England: Chris Silverwood apologises to Moeen Ali - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56097118