The Cricket Thread

bewlay

2 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

England making all of us who were moaning about the non declaration yesterday look a bit dim. Should be over long before tea at this rate, excellent spell from Jimmy breaking the back of the Indian innings.

Have to disagree with that my old mucker, last night's fannying about for nearly an hour was pointless and could well have backfired.

Instead Anderson has bowled superbly and India have been a tad off it.    Not often you get an opportunity to go one up in India and the cautious approach of England last night could well have jeapordised a rare opportunity.

I feel that  Roots captaincy style was heavily influenced by an early match when he declared only for opposition to hit the target.  That's extremely rare and I wouldn't criticise  positive cricket however it's made his declaration style cautious.

Irrespective it looks like England will win which is main thing 

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Have to disagree with that my old mucker, last night's fannying about for nearly an hour was pointless and could well have backfired.

Instead Anderson has bowled superbly and India have been a tad off it.    Not often you get an opportunity to go one up in India and the cautious approach of England last night could well have jeapordised a rare opportunity.

I feel that  Roots captaincy style was heavily influenced by an early match when he declared only for opposition to hit the target.  That's extremely rare and I wouldn't criticise  positive cricket however it's made his declaration style cautious.

Irrespective it looks like England will win which is main thing 

Yeah that's true, was foaming at the mouth yesterday with their approach to the declaration  but they will be saying they knew what they were doing all along now. On another day that could easily have turned into a blockfest draw & again shows just how good a bowler Jimmy is.

I thought it was a bit of a slow hour yesterday but Root explained himself today. They felt 105 overs, on that pitch, was enough...in the end they only needed 60 (I think).

Roots captaincy is understated but he has an excellent win record and quietly goes about his business. Looks like the partnership with Silverwood is going to be a good one.

Anderson and Leach amazing today. Jimmy is an absolute legend and keeps getting better.

It will be a fired up India in three days time.

On another note, I teach at an international school out here and a lot of Indian kids and parents will be a lot quieter after this result!

I thought it was a bit of a slow hour yesterday but Root explained himself today. They felt 105 overs, on that pitch, was enough...in the end they only needed 60 (I think).

Roots captaincy is understated but he has an excellent win record and quietly goes about his business. Looks like the partnership with Silverwood is going to be a good one.

Anderson and Leach amazing today. Jimmy is an absolute legend and keeps getting better.

On another note, I teach at an international school out here and a lot of Indian kids and parents will be a lot quieter after this result!
England won the toss and controlled the match from start to finish. Winning tosses could be crucial in this tour.

2 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

It really looks like an oddly progressive appointment by the ECB for once, rather than the cheap option it first appeared to be.  

Joe Root’s captaincy seems better when he’s batting well, but the whole team outplayed India this week.  He got the declaration spot on.  There’s no point declaring early just because you can.  

1 minute ago, jaggyness said:

One thing I noticed this test was how well Buttler kept. Even down to the decision on when to review or not. It's one part of his game that really stood out.

His keeping has really improved the last 18 months, add in his improved batting and you have a formidabe cricketer.   Will be interesting to see how Foakes get on who is a better keeper but a lesser batsman.   One thing for sure is Bairstow won't see the gloves again.

One thing I noticed this test was how well Buttler kept. Even down to the decision on when to review or not. It's one part of his game that really stood out.
England have wasted far less reviews with him keeping, Bairstow seemed to be very keen to go upstairs all the time looking for a decision. Be interesting to see if Foakes has such a keen eye, assuming it is him that plays.

14 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
14 hours ago, jaggyness said:

England have wasted far less reviews with him keeping, Bairstow seemed to be very keen to go upstairs all the time looking for a decision. Be interesting to see if Foakes has such a keen eye, assuming it is him that plays.

I think Foakes is the only keeper in the squad for the next test, so unless they go daft and put Pope behind the stumps, he'll be playing. I reckon that plus Broad for Jimmy will be the changes.

I think Foakes is the only keeper in the squad for the next test, so unless they go daft and put Pope behind the stumps, he'll be playing. I reckon that plus Broad for Jimmy will be the changes.
Agreed but I kinda wonder if they'll drop Bess for Ali or of they'll drop Archer and play 3 spinners. I actually thought Archer bowled pretty well in the first test. He didn't always look the most dangerous to take a wicket but it's clear batsmen are intimidated facing him. England need that.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Agreed but I kinda wonder if they'll drop Bess for Ali or of they'll drop Archer and play 3 spinners. I actually thought Archer bowled pretty well in the first test. He didn't always look the most dangerous to take a wicket but it's clear batsmen are intimidated facing him. England need that.

I think Bess drops out for Moeen for the last couple. I can't see them going with 3 spinners, with Root and Lawrence there are already plenty options on that front.

Just now, die hard doonhamer said:

I think Bess drops out for Moeen for the last couple. I can't see them going with 3 spinners, with Root and Lawrence there are already plenty options on that front.

Bess tbh looked like he was struggling and the full toss issues showed that.  Ali is England's best spinner so should play.

Incidentally a wee link on a boys game crumbling for you to look at.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a-most-public-humiliation-262792

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Bess tbh looked like he was struggling and the full toss issues showed that.  Ali is England's best spinner so should play.

Incidentally a wee link on a boys game crumbling for you to look at.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a-most-public-humiliation-262792

Bess is very inconsistent, but I just think with the rotation policy adopted he'll likely play then be sent home after the second test (and the selectors can then take the cowardly rotation line rather than dropping him because of performance).

A nice read, that article. Losing your run up is a horrible feeling. Happened to me a couple of years ago and it took me about a month to find it again. Must be multiplied infinitely when it happens on such a public stage.

Whilst Bess is inconsistent, Leach is expensive. I like the left arm option though. I just feel that Ali has more consistency and variety in his delivery than the other spinners that England have. It may be a good thing for Bess to be rested, he's still relatively new to international level and has time on his side

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Whilst Bess is inconsistent, Leach is expensive. I like the left arm option though. I just feel that Ali has more consistency and variety in his delivery than the other spinners that England have. It may be a good thing for Bess to be rested, he's still relatively new to international level and has time on his side

To be fair, I totally agree with you. If it were up to me, Moeen would have been in for the first test. I just don't think it'll happen until the third.

Jimmy Anderson now only 8 wickets away from tying Anil Kumble for 3rd spot on the all time test wicket takers list. As long as he stays fit he will pass that this year, thought he looked very fit and lean at the weekend.

Jimmy is on 611 wickets, Warne is in second spot with 708. Could Jimmy catch him? Can he eke out another couple of years?