The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Hilariously pathetic from England. The batting will be slated for yet another collapse, but it can't be overlooked that collectively they bowled an absolute pile of pish at one of the longest tails in Test cricket. I sometimes think Test cricketers are guilty of forgetting the very basics. Even my park side knows that when the opposition rabbits are at the crease, you go back to school cricket and bowl every delivery at the stumps. This morning was just idiotic, no other way to describe it really.
The bowling during that last big Indian partnership was just shocking.

As you say - it should have been yorkers right at the stumps not the bouncing pish they served up.

I was half following this in the BBC text while at work and when Shami came out they said his average innings length was six balls or something daft like that. I'm sure there was also a crazy stat that Bumrah had scored more runs on this England tour than in his last 20 or so tests put together. 

That these two essentially put on a match winning partnership while scoring at 4 an over is absolutely shambolic from an England point of view, although from my point of view it was more than a little amusing. 

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The bowling during that last big Indian partnership was just shocking.

As you say - it should have been yorkers right at the stumps not the bouncing pish they served up.

Was always told as a bowler that when you're down to rabbits and ferrets just stick to bowling channel with the odd toe crusher - they'll run out of talent and nick one or miss one soon enough. Think India psychologically murdered their opposition: whatever you think of Kohli, he knows how to press the right buttons.

Not sure how England turn this around now. They've got one good batsman, and two decent opening bowlers, but not much else...

46 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I heard that it was the first time ever the England openers had both been out for a duck  in England. 

Think they are heading for a record  number of 🦆 in a calendar year. 

It's been a day for the statisticians....

• First time both England openers out for a duck at home
  • First king pair for a batsman at Lords
  • Most ducks by a test nation's top four in a calendar year (i think)

Some day.

I heard that it was the first time ever the England openers had both been out for a duck  in England. 

Think they are heading for a record  number of 🦆 in a calendar year. 

Sibley still has time to work on his technique perhaps and has at least shown that he can dig in previously as an opening bat. Not sure at 30 how many chances Burns has left though. He rarely looks confident that he’s in decent nic, pace bowlers at this level never have much trouble in working him out. They’re not the only ones at fault for England’s calamitous collapse earlier but constantly putting the side under pressure with the bat (particularly Root) from the off, needs immediate attention. Burns is toast for me.

3 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Sibley still has time to work on his technique perhaps and has at least shown that he can dig in previously as an opening bat. Not sure at 30 how many chances Burns has left though. He rarely looks confident that he’s in decent nic, pace bowlers at this level never have much trouble in working him out. They’re not the only ones at fault for England’s calamitous collapse earlier but constantly putting the side under pressure with the bat (particularly Root) from the off, needs immediate attention. Burns is toast for me.

Agree.  Burns has.been tried.  He’s shown flashes of being capable but ultimately not good enough.  Don’t think Sibley or Crawley should be persevered with either.  Top 3 a real problem for England.

It's been a day for the statisticians....
  • First time both England openers out for a duck at home
  • First king pair for a batsman at Lords
  • Most ducks by a test nation's top four in a calendar year (i think)
Some day.
Root also now tops the all time records for the highest percentage of a team's total runs scored by a batsman in a calendar year.

14 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

What a fucking shambles. An absolute disgrace to be losing that match from the position they were in this morning. English red ball cricket needs an overhaul.

English cricket has this introspective pish every time they get their arses handed to them in Australia. English cricket is now massively focussed on far more lucrative white ball cricket, with one dayers, T20 and this Hundred pish all getting plenty of airtime.

Yesterday's test conclusion was utterly fantastic and an absolute mile ahead of anything limited overs cricket can provide. In the longer term I struggle to see how red ball cricket in England can recover to the extent of England being a dominant test nation. As far as i can tell there are hardly any decent spinners coming through, Broad and Anderson will be extremely difficult to replace and Root/Stokes aside, the batting line up is bang average, again with no real promise coming through. The next 10 years of English test cricket will look like the 90s again. 

Meanwhile, no wins in 7 tests for England. A pretty shocking show of leadership yesterday morning. Is Joe Root's position under pressure? Does he need to relinquish the captaincy to continue to be the great test batsman that he  is? If he's  not under pressure, then perhaps he should be.

40 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Meanwhile, no wins in 7 tests for England. A pretty shocking show of leadership yesterday morning. Is Joe Root's position under pressure? Does he need to relinquish the captaincy to continue to be the great test batsman that he  is? If he's  not under pressure, then perhaps he should be.

He absolutely should be under pressure, but unfortunately, where are the alternatives? Maybe Stokes, but I don't think it's wise to give the captaincy to someone who is clearly mentally struggling without that added responsibility.

I think I'd bring Jake Libby in for a shot at opening for the next test. I'd drop both of the openers and go with a top 3 of Hameed, Libby, Pope.

He's batting perfectly fine as it is at the moment, reasons for him to relinquish the captaincy would include the tactical clusterfuck of yesterday morning. Problem at the moment is that (in the medium to long term there is nobody else (Anderson aside?) in the team guaranteed to be playing every test.

21 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Liam Livingstone battered 92 off 40 balls as Birmingham Phoenix won their way straight into the final.

I’d never heard of him until the hundred but he certainly looks the part.  Goughie and KP thinking he’s a stick on for Englands white ball team and even wanting him thrown into the test team as he can’t do any worse.

For me, they need to get the best playing against the best much more often domestically. I would introduce a first class layer that sits above the current county championship. 6 or 8 teams, maximum. A much higher standard, where players can be consistently asked hard questions of their games and better prepare them for the step up to test match cricket.

It won't happen, though. The counties would never allow it.

3 hours ago, Left Back said:

I’d never heard of him until the hundred but he certainly looks the part.  Goughie and KP thinking he’s a stick on for Englands white ball team and even wanting him thrown into the test team as he can’t do any worse.

Did he not play, and do very well, in a few of the t20s against Pakistan?