The Cricket Thread

bewlay

9 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

For me, they need to get the best playing against the best much more often domestically. I would introduce a first class layer that sits above the current county championship. 6 or 8 teams, maximum. A much higher standard, where players can be consistently asked hard questions of their games and better prepare them for the step up to test match cricket.

It won't happen, though. The counties would never allow it.

Sounds pretty much like exactly what the original split of the CC into two divisions was supposed to achieve. In reality, there ended up being no appreciable difference in standard between the two divisions aside from having a couple of skint, tiny counties like Derbyshire struggling a bit, and Surrey 'Man Uniteding' by signing up most of the top domestic talent. I don't think it made much difference, if any, to the standard of the English Test side.

I could see it perhaps working if there were certain strictures in place, almost a franchise system in effect, so that Centrally Contracted players could be evenly distributed across the league, perhaps six teams only, with a good helping of top tier world talent also distributed throughout. If it was 'no holds barred', I think you'd just end up with the same scenario as the CC, with no real benefit, and a few more financially strong counties hoarding talent.

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Sounds pretty much like exactly what the original split of the CC into two divisions was supposed to achieve. In reality, there ended up being no appreciable difference in standard between the two divisions aside from having a couple of skint, tiny counties like Derbyshire struggling a bit, and Surrey 'Man Uniteding' by signing up most of the top domestic talent. I don't think it made much difference, if any, to the standard of the English Test side.

I could see it perhaps working if there were certain strictures in place, almost a franchise system in effect, so that Centrally Contracted players could be evenly distributed across the league, perhaps six teams only, with a good helping of top tier world talent also distributed throughout. If it was 'no holds barred', I think you'd just end up with the same scenario as the CC, with no real benefit, and a few more financially strong counties hoarding talent.

Not sure I'd agree the split didn't achieve anything.  England were pretty woeful in the 90's.   The split (2000 I think) coincided with an upturn in results culminating in the 2005 Ashes win and in this century England have been in in the main competitive but in decline for the last few years since the focus turned to white ball cricket.

Can't say the split was 100% the cause of that and I'm sure you'd still have some county chairmen arguing it was nothing to do with it and it's all cyclical but personally I don't think you can ignore it.

Honestly don't believe splitting the CC had anything to do with England's revival. They were fortunate that a group of talented cricketers emerged at the same time, after a period where there was a paucity of genuine talent. I think that's just part of the cyclical nature of sports, as we're seeing right now with a lack of top-order talent and few consistent bowlers around good enough to replace Anderson and Broad.

Far more relevant for me was the appointment of Duncan Fletcher, because he instilled a completely different attitude into the side. Losing was not tolerated, players who consistently lost were discarded, but more than that, he convinced them that if they trusted their talent, worked hard, and attacked sides with both the bat and the ball, then they would succeed where more timid England sides had failed. The 90's wasn't just about a lack of talent. England were often beaten by teams no more talented than they were, they simply lacked the confidence and mental aptitude to go and compete head-to-head. 

I think if you look at the success of Andy Flower's reign, it's self-evident that English cricketers and coaches lack something inherently that is only really remedied by having a top tier foreign coach who implicitly understands how to compete in the toughest of conditions and drives that into the side. Moores, Giles, and now Silverwood's period in charge all led to a period of poor results and underperformances that really wouldn't have looked out of place under Lloyd in the 90's. I really don't think that's down to the format of the CC.

Edit - Oh, and centrally contracting the better players was significant, I have no doubt of that.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Malan in, Sibley and Crawley sent back to their counties.
Has it been confirmed if Pope is available for the 3rd test? Presumably Hameed will open with Burns but questions over the number 3 spot. Bairstow, Pope? Surely Malan doesn't come in at 3? Bairstow to 3, Malan to 5? Lot of questions

Pope is in the squad but can't see why they're picking Malan up not to play him so would assume it is indeed 

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Bairstow
Buttler
Ali

with Anderson, Robinson and one of Wood/Mahmood and one of Curran / Overton.

They could  play an extra batsman and rely on Root as 5th bowler but that seems very unlikely.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
5 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:
Malan in, Sibley and Crawley sent back to their counties.

Has it been confirmed if Pope is available for the 3rd test? Presumably Hameed will open with Burns but questions over the number 3 spot. Bairstow, Pope? Surely Malan doesn't come in at 3? Bairstow to 3, Malan to 5? Lot of questions

I think Malan at 3 is nailed on, tbh.

30 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Pope is in the squad but can't see why they're picking Malan up not to play him so would assume it is indeed 

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Bairstow
Buttler
Ali

with Anderson, Robinson and one of Wood/Mahmood and one of Curran / Overton.

They could  play an extra batsman and rely on Root as 5th bowler but that seems very unlikely.

Agree with this. Tbh, I think Malan for Sibley will be the only change from the last game.

Buttler must be close to getting dropped again. He needs a big innings, and soon.

Agree with this. Tbh, I think Malan for Sibley will be the only change from the last game.
Buttler must be close to getting dropped again. He needs a big innings, and soon.
Malan averages less than 28 at test level, nowhere near good enough to bat at 3 surely? That average is worse than Sibley, Bairstow or Crawley. It's actually worse than Moeen Ali as well who has also batted at 3 for England.

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
11 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Malan averages less than 28 at test level, nowhere near good enough to bat at 3 surely? That average is worse than Sibley, Bairstow or Crawley. It's actually worse than Moeen Ali as well who has also batted at 3 for England.

He hasn't played a test for 3 years, so I'm not sure his average is relevent to now. It's also where he bats domestically (although only 1 innings this season, where he saved scored 199). 

The media chat all points to him batting at 3, and I expect that to happen.

As someone who has very little interest in cricket, I think The Hundred has been great. Maybe it's people like me it's meant to have appealed to. 

Probably fortunate I stumbled across the T20s just prior to it and the excitement of those and thought I'd give it a go. By no means seen every game (or even close) but really enjoyed those I have. 

By Christ, Liam Livingstone can whack a ball. Some real characters and great individual performances too. Stirling tonight, Tahir's hat-trick etc... 

I have to admit, I'm a Hundred convert. I hated the idea of it, but if you are able to take a step back and appreciate it for what it is, which is basically another T20 franchise league, then it's been brilliant. 

Next year, the ECB need to make sure it's played in a 3 week gap with no England games scheduled. They need their big stars playing in it all the way through.

22 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I have to admit, I'm a Hundred convert. I hated the idea of it, but if you are able to take a step back and appreciate it for what it is, which is basically another T20 franchise league, then it's been brilliant. 

Next year, the ECB need to make sure it's played in a 3 week gap with no England games scheduled. They need their big stars playing in it all the way through.

This is basically the nail on the head.  It’s a way for the ECB to start franchising domestic cricket, nothing more nothing less.

It brings nothing to the actual game.  Limited overs was completely different from first class.  T20 is completely different from limited overs.  The hundred isn’t offering a different game in the slightest.  I did get more into it as the tournament went on but that coincided with seeing some actual scores posted instead of the bowler friendly game it started off as.

Been brilliant to watch at times. Been very lucky with the weather which has added to the fans attending. Mind you, the ticket prices have been incredible. To watch both matches over the entire day only cost £10 for adults, £5 for 6-15 year olds and under 5’s were free. Might try and catch a game next time it’s on.

Also you are allowed to bring your own food if you want so you are not tied to buying things whilst there.

Edited by supermik