The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Very much India's day. Pujara looks a different player to the one we've seen so far this series. He's played very fluently. He seems like a nice chap, so I wouldn't mind him getting to his ton in the morning (strictly nothing more than that though).

Massive phase of the game coming up tomorrow morning, England need wickets. This deck is a road, but England are only 4 wickets from India's tail. The new ball could get them there.

Test match cricket, what a sport.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

I feel bad for the cricket fans who've paid a shit load of money to watch a day's play. Obviously not the tits that are there to run up and down the stairs dressed as a horse or whatever. Not sure what it is about Headingly in particular that attracts them. Anyway, looking forward to The Oval. Time to get Ashwin in the team. I hope they consider dropping Ishant and going with 2 spinners. Interesting that English cricket keeps banging the drum about racism in the game and in wider society in general and now it seems  Robinson is one of the first names on the team sheet. Funny how a couple of wickets outweighs being a c**t. He is a very good bowler but should he be in the England team. Imo no.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Pleasing to see such a dislikable team as India absolutely hammered.

Jimi Shandrix needs to lighten up and let people enjoy themselves at the cricket.  You can’t throw tins of beer at everyone that’s having a laugh on a day out.

I was in amongst it in the big temporary stand at Old Trafford for a day of the ashes test in 2019. It was absolutely brilliant fun, much more so than the other days, when I was on the opposite side of the ground.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Pleasing to see such a dislikable team as India absolutely hammered.

Jimi Shandrix needs to lighten up and let people enjoy themselves at the cricket.  You can’t throw tins of beer at everyone that’s having a laugh on a day out.

Ok. I'll try harder. Speaking of dislikeable cricketers, what are your thoughts on Ollie Robinson? Do you think he should be in the England team?

1 minute ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Ok. I'll try harder. Speaking of dislikeable cricketers, what are your thoughts on Ollie Robinson? Do you think he should be in the England team?

The man made mistakes many years ago.

We are a society that promotes rehabilitation and recidivism.

He says he has learned from his mistakes.  Give  the man a chance.  If he repeated his offences then fine game over.  Until then you hope he had learned from the mistakes he made as a young man.

He deserves an opportunity to show he has learned from his mistakes.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I was in amongst it in the big temporary stand at Old Trafford for a day of the ashes test in 2019. It was absolutely brilliant fun, much more so than the other days, when I was on the opposite side of the ground.

It’s a great laugh.  The Western Terrace, the Hollies at Edgbaston.  Wonderful days out and never a hint of any bother.  Simply fun.

4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

The man made mistakes many years ago.

We are a society that promotes rehabilitation and recidivism.

He says he has learned from his mistakes.  Give  the man a chance.  If he repeated his offences then fine game over.  Until then you hope he had learned from the mistakes he made as a young man.

He deserves an opportunity to show he has learned from his mistakes.

Well, I hope he has learned from his mistakes but that's the thing, he was a man when he made those mistakes. You could understand it if he was an immature child coming out with that pish, but he was 19. If he had those thoughts at 19, I'm far from convinced that he doesn't have them at 27. I wonder how Moeen feels sharing a dressing room with him. If the selectors are happy though, then so be it. Personally I think a racist, sexist, Madeleine McCann and Gary Speed joke making adult has burnt his bridges and should have been shown the door.

Said it repeatedly, his spot should be under serious scrutiny. He's helped by 3 things. Firstly being vice captain, second foakes failing to show up when given a chance to play in the test side and thirdly, all the England batsmen being poor/injured meaning there's no credible alternative at the moment
Hurrah! Buttler gone from the squad for the fourth test! Replaced by Billings but already announced Bairstow will wear the gloves. Woakes and Wood also return to the squad

If you look at it in a football context, we've had Leigh Griffiths as a hero of the tartan army for scoring 2 free kicks against England. This was a few years after he had plead guilty to charges of singing a racist song about Rudi Skacel in an Edinburgh pub. Should he have been banned from playing again after that conviction, or at least banned from representing his country?

59 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
18 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

If you look at it in a football context, we've had Leigh Griffiths as a hero of the tartan army for scoring 2 free kicks against England. This was a few years after he had plead guilty to charges of singing a racist song about Rudi Skacel in an Edinburgh pub. Should he have been banned from playing again after that conviction, or at least banned from representing his country?

Maybe he should have been. Griffiths has since then been involved in several other high profile incidents that has led to a right hoo ha amongst Dundee supporters regarding his potential arrival at Dens. Using the Dundee thread as a barometer of opinion, I'd say the vast majority are against it even though we are crying out for a striker. For the record, it's a 100% no for me.

England win the toss and bowl. Looks like a great toss to win. I fear for the top order a bit in the first hour but as usual get through it and you're well in the game. No Ashwin again for India. I just don't get why you'd leave out a guy with over 400 wickets for the whole series. He must be gutted.

A predictably poor morning for India considering overhead conditions and top order confidence. Can Kohli and Jadeja dig in. I wouldn't be heaping a whole lot of money on it. Had a look at 1st innings scores in the recent past at the Oval. India need to be getting to close to 300.

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

A predictably poor morning for India considering overhead conditions and top order confidence. Can Kohli and Jadeja dig in. I wouldn't be heaping a whole lot of money on it. Had a look at 1st innings scores in the recent past at the Oval. India need to be getting to close to 300.

They are closer to 30 than 300 at this point. 

Edited by Savage Henry