The Cricket Thread

bewlay

You’d have to think a lead of anything approaching 100 puts India out of the game.  I’d say the drawn is almost impossible. 
Yeah this seems pretty spot on. Although this being England they could lose their next 3 wickets for 15 runs quite easily. There's a lot to like about the look of this England team and those who are currently out may struggle to get back in. Personally I wouldn't be bringing Buttler back I've never been his biggest fan in tests but Bairstow has been decent this series, better than Buttler anyway. In Australia you need pace so you'd imagine Woakes and Overton would drop out but that still means Stokes, Archer and Broad are all potentially fighting for 2 spots unless they're going without a spinner in some tests.

50 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:
You’d have to think a lead of anything approaching 100 puts India out of the game.  I’d say the drawn is almost impossible. 

Yeah this seems pretty spot on. Although this being England they could lose their next 3 wickets for 15 runs quite easily. There's a lot to like about the look of this England team and those who are currently out may struggle to get back in. Personally I wouldn't be bringing Buttler back I've never been his biggest fan in tests but Bairstow has been decent this series, better than Buttler anyway. In Australia you need pace so you'd imagine Woakes and Overton would drop out but that still means Stokes, Archer and Broad are all potentially fighting for 2 spots unless they're going without a spinner in some tests.

Archer has already been ruled out of the ashes, and imo shouldn't play another test for England. I agree that Buttler shouldn't come back in, but I expect that he will because England seem to be far too loyal to a small group of player, of which Buttler is one (Bairstow has also benefited from this in the past, but he's justifying his spot at the moment).

99 is a very good lead but as it's still only day 2, it's not a decisive lead. If the batsmen actually start, you know, batting on what is a flat pitch, then there is plenty left to play for. Really poor from the Indian bowlers though. Had them on the ropes at 62-5 If England take 3 or 4 tonight, you can start the car.

2 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

99 is a very good lead but as it's still only day 2, it's not a decisive lead. If the batsmen actually start, you know, batting on what is a flat pitch, then there is plenty left to play for. Really poor from the Indian bowlers though. Had them on the ropes at 62-5 If England take 3 or 4 tonight, you can start the car.

Intriguing cricket so far, shows why test match cricket is the number one format of the game.  Delighted to see Woakes do well a fella that has been treated pretty poorly over the years by England.

England slightly in front but that could change quickly tomorrow if India can get in front with plenty of wickets still in hand.

Both batting lineups are a bit flaky, but if India can get a lead of 200 plus then it will be interesting to see how England cope with the pressure of a 4th innings run chase.

Decent start for India, but survive their first scare of a day. Rahul scudded a Woakes bouncer for a 6, then next ball was trapped lbw and given out. Overturned on review though as it showed the ball had done too much and was missing the stumps.

Bizarrely, winviz has India as favourites even though they are still trailing.