The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just now, Highlandmagar said:

The only losers in view are those players who were representing their country with an inept display of bowling and fielding and question marks over the captain!

No, I’m about 99.9% certain we can add you to the loser list too.

Just now, eez-eh said:

No, I’m about 99.9% certain we can add you to the loser list too.

Hahaha. Oh you are a good comedian.  I will say that for you. Typical Scottish attitude. Accept mediocrity and celebrate being glorious losers.

Just now, Highlandmagar said:

Jesus! You are fairly scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Right. So you're lambasting a bunch of over-achieving cricketers as a national disgrace, and I'm scraping the barrel by pointing out that England have been routed at home by Australia as often as I've had hot dinners? 

Ok then...

1 minute ago, Highlandmagar said:

Hahaha. Oh you are a good comedian.  I will say that for you. Typical Scottish attitude. Accept mediocrity and celebrate being glorious losers.

Nah I can just be annoyed about us shitting the bed without also being a self-loathing loser.

There is no doubt that we have over achieved in this tournament but it does feel like we have completely chucked away a place at the World Cup from an incredibly strong position.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Nah I can just be annoyed about us shitting the bed without also being a self-loathing loser.

Maybe it's just you are happy to accept defeat while I am not, particularly in the manner they chucked it away today. But hey ho, it is a Scottish trait throughout history.

Just now, PB1994 said:

There is no doubt that we have over achieved in this tournament but it does feel like we have completely chucked away a place at the World Cup from an incredibly strong position.

That's just the nature of short-format cricket. Netherlands kept their nerve, a couple of mental errors by the Scots combined with a couple of poor overs and it all turns around. One or two more wickets between 35-40 overs and we're probably going to India while the Netherlands stay home. Fine margins, but if you don't step on the throat while you are on top then there's always a chance the opponent takes it away from you. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

That’s a call for the captain’s head result right there. The game management towards the end of that was absolutely abysmal. I’d have expected better bowling changes from an under 13s team.

That hurts. 

I thought after the bad Watt over they'd take a minute or two just to compose themselves and have a think about what to do next, but McMullen was charging in with the ball from the other end almost straight away. I think they just kinda got overwhelmed in the moment, but aye, that's really a failing of captaincy not to just slow it down and have a bit of a mental reset.

Edited by Boo Khaki

9 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Says the Partick Thistle supporter.

16 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

That's just the nature of short-format cricket. Netherlands kept their nerve, a couple of mental errors by the Scots combined with a couple of poor overs and it all turns around. One or two more wickets between 35-40 overs and we're probably going to India while the Netherlands stay home. Fine margins, but if you don't step on the throat while you are on top then there's always a chance the opponent takes it away from you. 🤷‍♂️

Yep, I can't help but think if the umpire gives that reviewed lbw out instead of not out then we're on the plane to India.

ETA: Thinking about that the law is an ass for those reviews. 'Umpires Call' accounts for margin of error on the ball tracking after the ball deflects off the pad, but it shouldn't be the case on whether it is hitting in line or not. It objectively hit the pad in line with the off stump so should be given out, IMO.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

Gutted with the Scotland result.

Said all along England were missing genuine pace, no surprise to see Wood taking wickets. Only problem for England is the Aussies have more than one guy bowling those speeds