The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Excellent all round performance by Scotland today. We were good in all departments, after a below par performance against Jersey. Italy are no mugs, with some high quality county players in their ranks, but we completely outclassed them today. Oil Hairs was at his belligerent best, but Madsen dropped him early in his innings, putting down a relatively simple chance, and he was dropped again (albeit a tougher chance) when he was in the 20s. He’s such a big hitter that you have to get him out early. As has already been said, he could cause absolute carnage against the likes of Austria or Denmark.

McMullen was absolute quality though. He’s such a good all round cricketer (he had a brilliant run out to his name today too), and it was a batting masterclass from him, with some absolutely sublime shots. Real shame he didn’t get the century he deserved. Delighted to see him moved up to number 3.

Good bowling performance, with Main the pick of the bowlers, and we looked sharp and switched on in the field. Can’t see us not qualifying now. Expect a comfortable victory against Austria tomorrow, and (weather permitting) the same against Denmark on Thursday. Looking forward to the Ireland game on Friday. Scotland should go into that match with real confidence. 

Edited by Frankie S

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

So beat Austria, who look like the group whipping boys, and beat Denmark (who don't look much better) to get to the T20 World Cup?

Obviously ignoring weather, nutty R/R outcomes, etc etc

Win both and Scotland are basically qualified, barring a bizarre set of results including Germany beating Ireland, Scotland then losing to Ireland and Germany & Ireland both overtaking Scotland on NRR. With the margin of today's victory the latter is highly unlikely to happen anyway.

Realistically, one more win and a Scotland game being rained off would already be enough.

Edited by Marten

Went to my first Scotland match today since the ODI v England in 2007 and was a great game to be at. Some of the shots from Hairs and McMullen were quite frankly ridiculous. Equally enjoyable to watch the sheer brutality of Hairs with the class of McMullen, who if he continues this level of performance through his career is going to be one of our best ever players. The reverse scoop shot for 6 from McMullen was absolutely outrageous and worth the entry fee alone, such a shame he never got his 100 as it would of been fitting. I actually felt a bit sorry for the Italians, they were really up for it at the start and the first over and a half Scotland were a bit streaky but after the two dropped catches they never really recovered. If either of them were taken then it might've been a different game. However after having 4 dropped catches of my bowling at the weekend I don't have much sympathy haha. 

Should comfortably get qualification wrapped up in the coming days and have a world cup to look forward to next year.

If he genuinely believes that answer then he's a moron, and I don't think he is a moron, which just leaves it being an arsey response to a perfectly pertinent question.

Ironic since it's hubris and arrogance that cost them the series, not the weather.

Scotland lose the toss again, for at least the fifth time in a row (including all 4 matches to date in this tournament). Austria put us in to bat. Not sure that will help them much though…

Edited by Frankie S

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

As previously stated, it's the ICC feed they're using 

Aye, but I don't really give a f**k about where they're taking the feed from. They claimed to be covering it, so they should at least ensure their stream is watchable and take it up with the ICC if it's no.

Yet another reason why I'm glad I fucked their licence off years ago 😛

Edited by Boo Khaki

How bad is the Iplayer coverage? Even when it isn't stuttering the production is awful, constantly missing balls due to graphics overlaying and cameramen not following the ball. They have enough resources there as sometimes the cut is to yet another camera angle we haven't seen yet! A bunch of uni students could do better.

Commentators fairly terrible too, always getting the names of on strike batters wrong because the graphic is behind. Most obvious was yesterday when they somehow got mixed up between Hairs and Mcmullen despite one weighing about 7 stone more than the other.

42 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Could go for 300 here. 

Great for Scotland, but it doesn't say much for the ICC that they can schedule so many mismatches.

I'm not sure what you want the ICC to do? Not like there's a host of European nations better at cricket than what we're playing. The T20 has slots to fill and this has been a great fun way of doing it. 

Edited by bairn88

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I'm not sure what you want the ICC to do? Not like there's a host of European nations better at cricket that what we're playing. The T20 has slots to fill and this has been a great fun way of doing it. 

They could distribute the money more evenly. Giving a better share to the associate nations rather than letting India, England and Australia hoover it all up.

Edited by PB1994

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

They could distribute the money more evenly. Giving a better share to the associate nations rather than letting India, England and Australia hoover it all up.

Well obviously, not sure what that has to do with the allocation of teams in this qualifying tournament though!

Just now, bairn88 said:

I'm not sure what you want the ICC to do? Not like there's a host of European nations better at cricket that what we're playing. The T20 has slots to fill and this has been a great fun way of doing it. 

Well I don't think it benefits anyone for Austria, Denmark and so on to turn up to a quali tournament where they just get battered by all and sundry. Scotland and Ireland are leagues ahead of the rest, so perhaps the other Euro nations should be having an extra round of games between themselves, before the top two go into a round-robin with Scotland and Ireland or something.

Ordinarily I'd argue against 'protecting' better nations, because the ICC do far too much of that as it is, but it's a different story when there is a clear gulf in quality, so much so that it means completely uncompetitive games and embarrassing scores. So far it's been like watching park cricketers getting contemptuously skelped to all parts by players who are on a different level altogether. Nobody benefits from that level of disparity.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Well I don't think it benefits anyone for Austria, Denmark and so on to turn up to a quali tournament where they just get battered by all and sundry. Scotland and Ireland are leagues ahead of the rest, so perhaps the other Euro nations should be having an extra round of games between themselves, before the top two go into a round-robin with Scotland and Ireland or something.

Ordinarily I'd argue against 'protecting' better nations, because the ICC do far too much of that as it is, but it's a different story when there is a clear gulf in quality, so much so that it means completely uncompetitive games and embarrassing scores. So far it's been like watching park cricketers getting contemptuously skelped to all parts by players who are on a different level altogether. Nobody benefits from that level of disparity.

Hmmmm, that sounds a tad closed shop to me. It takes tournaments like these for these nations to ever play anyone better - friendlies are uncommon. Lets not forget Jersey were very much in the fight v us, as were Italy v Ireland in game 1 - it hasn't all been one way traffic.

Even Cricinfo’s coverage of this tournament has been shite. I went to Mannofield to cover a tri-series CWC League 2 with UAE & PNG in 2019 for ESPN and even then I was told I should be doing commentary as well as scoring every ball. This time round it looks like they haven’t got anyone and are relying on the ICC’s ball by ball.