The Cricket Thread

bewlay

I know you should say thoughts are with family, but my thoughts are really with the bowler. Can't imagine how he's feeling.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/nov/27/cricket-naked-aggression-calm-down-phillip-hughes-death

Edited by AberdeenBud

Just unspeakably sad. Not much I can add really; the footage looked bad on first glance. My thoughts genuinely are with Australian cricket, and especially the guy Abbott.

The photo in the Daily Mail today is heartbreaking.

Edited by Savage Henry

Tragic news. Didn't see the delivery, not sure I want to. When I heard the story I assumed the ball hit him in the head but it actually hit him in the neck?

It's not like the footage you see of really bad leg or arm breaks. It's very innocuous.

It's not like the footage you see of really bad leg or arm breaks. It's very innocuous.

Yeah, it looks like any other short delivery that catches a batsman.

The footage is very jumpy too because of it being from a web stream, really innocuous looking.

You only really think he's taken a hit when he falls over.

Tbh, the stills of the fielders supporting his head and screaming for help are far worse and those were plastered all over the papers

Will be interesting to see the legacy of this tragedy.

Will fast bowlers be comfortable enough to continue to throw down the 90mph ball aimed at the batsmans head? Will batsman be comfortable enough to face one?

The bouncer has been been part of cricket since time immemorial, but I think it's days could be numbered after this.

The bouncer has been been part of cricket since time immemorial, but I think it's days could be numbered after this.

There is no real desire to change that from inside cricket. It was a pretty freakish accident. Cricket has a pretty low concussion rate. The one change is players may start focusing on watching the ball the whole way again, recently they have been happy to "wear one" on the helmet by losing sight of it in a rash shot.

Michael Clarkes speech had me on the verge of tears, terrifically said by him. Ridiculous to think I know people who've played club cricket with him, and I met him little over a year ago. The #putoutyourbats campaign is tremendous and my 95 year old neighbour had an ancient bat outside his front door this morning, as did I.

63* forever.

Michael Clarkes speech had me on the verge of tears, terrifically said by him. Ridiculous to think I know people who've played club cricket with him, and I met him little over a year ago. The #putoutyourbats campaign is tremendous and my 95 year old neighbour had an ancient bat outside his front door this morning, as did I.

63* forever.

Where do you live Lichtie78?

Edit to add: if you are hiding from the Authorities, then PM me!

Edited by Swarley

Brendon McCullum scores fastest NZ Test 100 in 78 balls. They also have hit 18 sixes so far which think is a record but not sure.

New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum hit the fourth fastest double hundred in Test history on day three of the third Test against Pakistan in Sharjah.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/30260875