The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Not really. The damage he has caused to morale and team cohesion is much more than he has contributed to the team in recent seasons.

Other than one big innings per series and a couple of reasonable ones the contribution that KP has made to the england side over the last few years has diminished. In fact in recent seasons there have been regular calls to bin him from test and odi side due to poor runs of form.

Fair enough he has great ability, however how many times does he get into position to score a huge tonne only for his massive ego to get in the way and he holes out to a left arm crap spinner - paul harris anyone.

The clown thinks he is bigger than the team - nobody is. He either shapes up, begs for forgiveness and learns a bit of humility or he pisses off into the sunset and plays IPL, and never leaves the legacy in international cricket that his ability and ego wants

Need to build your team around greats like KP

Need to build your team around greats like KP

That may be true, but there is no "I" in team, but there is a "u" in c**t.

No matter how good he is, it's a team game and he has to be willing to fit into that team. He's currently 34 from 32 balls at the Oval.

Edit: He was looking good until Simon Jones ripped out his off stump with a corker of a ball. Emotional day at the Oval with Tom Maynard's two former counties playing each other for the first time since his death, with both sides wearing his former squad numbers.

Edited by peasy23

Media all reporting that Strauss will quit as Captain today.

Media all reporting that Strauss will quit as Captain today.

From Twitter late last night...

“@TheCricketerMag: Late ECB email lands inviting press to Lord's for a media conference with Hugh Morris, followed by one with Giles Clarke in Derby. Curious.”

Strauss looked stressed out of his nut by the time the test series was done, and it probably had more to do with the KP carry on than the actual matches. IMO it can only be one of two things, either Strauss is giving up the captaincy or they are announcing very early that KP will not be having his contract renewed.

From Twitter late last night...

"@TheCricketerMag: Late ECB email lands inviting press to Lord's for a media conference with Hugh Morris, followed by one with Giles Clarke in Derby. Curious."

Strauss looked stressed out of his nut by the time the test series was done, and it probably had more to do with the KP carry on than the actual matches. IMO it can only be one of two things, either Strauss is giving up the captaincy or they are announcing very early that KP will not be having his contract renewed.

I think he will go. England lose number 1 spot, end of series. And of course the KP issue. Either way he has done a good job,And i assume he will keep playing test cricket?

I think he will go. England lose number 1 spot, end of series. And of course the KP issue. Either way he has done a good job,And i assume he will keep playing test cricket?

The talk on 5 live earlier seemed to be to leaning towards him retiring from test cricket.

Now announce hes retiring ENTIRELY from the professional game. Bit of a stunner!!!:huh:

Glad he decided to go now rather than wait a few years and maybe be forced out. Think quitting all together saves the selectors the decision of dropping him as opener. Hasnt his only 100 of the last year or so come against WI?

Now announce hes retiring ENTIRELY from the professional game. Bit of a stunner!!!:huh:

Not half. As he had already chucked ODIs and T20 I sort of expected him to give up Tests and play county cricket for a couple of years at least, very surprised he has chucked it completely.

His form has been patchy lately but he will be a hard act to follow as skipper, home and away Ashes wins and top of the world rankings is good going.

Averaged 17 in the last test series and by the last innings he played looked mentally shot. Out of form and no appetite for the hours of practice to get back into form to at least hold down a county place. Time to shake hands, collect the applause and try something new.

Shame his last innings ended with him making one of the worst decisions ever seen, when he left that ball.......

Shame. Seems like a good guy and a fine opener on his game. Not a great captain, I have to say. He'll be harder to replace as an opener than a skipper. I'd imagine Trott will open now.

I think as Captain he did a decent job holding everything together. He had a great working relationship with Andy Flower. The problem in recent tests has been the failure of both Straus and Cook to give the team a decent platform to build from. They didn't occupy the crease for any length of time and didn't score heavily enough.