The Cricket Thread

bewlay

A 138 run victory for Scotland, with Namibia all out for 163. 3 wickets for Currie and Main,  2 for Leask and McMullen.

7 points from 8 from this set of matches, with only the rain in game 1 preventing a maximum haul. A decent couple of weeks work. 

That's Joe Root overtaken Brian Lara in the all-time Test runs table, up to 7th all-time, Average back above 50 (50.11)

Thick end of 400 runs required to catch Kumar in 6th, then Cook is another 70 or so beyond that.

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

England absolutely ripping the proverbial out of the West Indies.  Seems a bit unnecessary, but you do have to be ruthless.  

Decent stuff from Wood, what a career he might have had if he wasn't made of glass.

Expected England to wrap it up quickly when I saw Stokes was opening with Crawley injured, but as you say 87 in 44 balls was rubbing it in.

Played my first game in over 5 years today in 95 degree heat. Got to open the bowling after just one practice session and got 1-12. I definitely feel like I bowled on a concrete strip and fielded on a  plowed field of an outfield, but so happy to be back playing.

29 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Zak Crawley could find it very difficult to get back into the England test side now he's ruled out of the upcoming series

Not sure I agree with that. Crawley has accumulated quite a few runs over the last year, and I’m not convinced Dan Lawrence is a test level opener. 

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't watch much of The Hundred, but happened to turn it on just as Sam Curran got a hat-trick. 

An unbeaten 22 ball 51 from him with the bat as well, the lad is in decent form at the moment. Hit a ton in the blast the other week as well. 

I’m not a huge fan of Crawley (or Duckett) individually but they’ve been the best opening pair England have had for a long time, even if that is down to style and circumstances. 

Disappointed to see Pennington injured for the rest of the summer, but really looking forward to see Olly Stone again, I think he’s always performed well for England and has that extra pace they’re banging on about recently. Hopefully he can stay fit.

That's a kick in the nuts. He was my favorite batsman growing up, partly because he was a lefty, but mainly because he was class. He was a world class player in a poor england side.

On 04/08/2024 at 18:51, die hard doonhamer said:

An unbeaten 22 ball 51 from him with the bat as well, the lad is in decent form at the moment. Hit a ton in the blast the other week as well. 

Seems to be in great form, another 50 off just 31 balls today.

Windies Test struggles seem to be continuing in Trinidad with South Africa convincingly beating them so far on what looks to be a dry pitch. Windies have jettisoned Kirk McKenzie and Shamar Joseph and gone for 2 spinners but still gave up a significant first innings lead. A few 30s from Brathwaite, Louis, Carty, Holder, Hodge and Warrican. Seems awfully familiar to their England tour just gone. It’s good to see Kemar Roach back for them though, I thought they missed his control in England.

Stokes just exploded his hammy in the Hundred, be amazed if he's not out for the rest of the summer, don't know when England's winter tours start.

Will also be surprised if he plays in it ever again!

edit: 3 tests in Pakistan in October and 3 in NZ in December, might make the latter depending on severity. Might actually be his knee in which case it'll be even longer.

Edited by Fuctifano

23 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Windies Test struggles seem to be continuing in Trinidad with South Africa convincingly beating them so far on what looks to be a dry pitch. Windies have jettisoned Kirk McKenzie and Shamar Joseph and gone for 2 spinners but still gave up a significant first innings lead. A few 30s from Brathwaite, Louis, Carty, Holder, Hodge and Warrican. Seems awfully familiar to their England tour just gone. It’s good to see Kemar Roach back for them though, I thought they missed his control in England.

Looks like it’s heading for a draw. South Africa forced the weather affected game with an aggressive declaration. Windies batted okay with Alick Athanaze agonisingly missing out on a hundred again. Holder and Da Silva in now with about 9 overs left, would take some collapse to lose this now.  

We are lucky enough to have a lot of local cricket of a good standard going on down here, including mid-week and Sunday cup games.   Spent an extremely warm day at Formby CC for the Liverpool Echo Knockout Cup  T20 Finals day.  Three great games and a fine victory for Birkenhead Park, who I was backing today.  It meant a lot to the players because they let last year's final slip away from them.  The captain came around and shook hands with all the Park followers after lifting the trophy, which was a much-appreciated spirit of the game moment.  Cmon The Park!

On 06/08/2024 at 16:03, rowsdower said:

That's a kick in the nuts. He was my favorite batsman growing up, partly because he was a lefty, but mainly because he was class. He was a world class player in a poor england side.

Horrifically, his family have revealed it was suicide.