The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Got in just as KP was walking off, nice way to finish, 446W going for the ton. There's been more overs of spin than pace on the 1st day of a test in Jamaica.

Just wish I was listening to Jack Bannister on Talk Sport just now (H_B will know what I mean). He'll be going absolutely mental at KP :lol:

All in all, probably England's day. The last session really turned the game on its head. Flintoff and Prior putting on that partnership, plus some very very odd field placement took it away from the West Indies I'd suggest. TMS was on top form today, plus a moving tribute to bearders.

Enjoyed the first day. I don't think i ever thought id see two spinners bowling so many overs on the first day of a test in Jamaica.

Benn is something else. If anything the ball was doing to much.Can Monty come to the party,well time will tell,he certainly does not have Benns height.

Top order and Collingwood...well another poor show. KP played with a fair degree of patience,until he go to 97. Do you say to him "you are a bloody fool" or "well done great innings"??

Flintoff also very patient and ably supported by Prior. Id like to see another 100 on the board.

I would not like to batting on day 5 trying to get 200/250 to win.

These referrals are quite interesting- that one for Sarwan was given out by the on-field umpire, overturned by the 3rd umpire on the non-predictive evidence of hawkeye, which everyone agreed was a good decision and subsequently the predictive part of hawkeye showed the ball was clipping the bails and the on-field umpire was right.

I'd love to see a number 11 get clean bowled, middle stump out the ground miles back and then refer it just on the off chance that it was a no-ball.

These referrals are quite interesting- that one for Sarwan was given out by the on-field umpire, overturned by the 3rd umpire on the non-predictive evidence of hawkeye, which everyone agreed was a good decision and subsequently the predictive part of hawkeye showed the ball was clipping the bails and the on-field umpire was right.

I'd love to see a number 11 get clean bowled, middle stump out the ground miles back and then refer it just on the off chance that it was a no-ball.

I though Harmison's LBW which was given out then not out was, indeed, out. Otherwise they've been great. Really need to introduce a third bonus one to counteract the spurious referrals.

Just wish I was listening to Jack Bannister on Talk Sport just now (H_B will know what I mean). He'll be going absolutely mental at KP :lol:

I heard the old c**t yesterday morning :lol:

He began by saying it was one of the 3 best innings he had seen Pietersen played, then abused him for 5 minutes for not getting a big hundred, "as he was set".

Apparently it was good cricket to hit 2 fours and a 6 off the first three balls of the over but pure madness to go for a fourth.

No doubt JAck would have been delighted by the knocks of the earlier boys who didn't get a chance to "get set." Bit of bad luck for the chaps there. Maybe if one of them gets to 90 in their career they will know the dilemmas Pietersen faces most innings.

IPL auction results, country by country. (exchange rate as of 05/02/2009 is 1.4 dollars to the pound):

AUSTRALIA: George Bailey (Chennai Super Kings, $50,000), Shaun Tait (Rajasthan Royals, $375,000).

BANGLADESH: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza (Kolkata Knight Riders, $600,000), Mohammad Ashraful (Mumbai Indians, $75,000)

ENGLAND: Andrew Flintoff (Chennai Super Kings, $1,550,000), Kevin Pietersen (Bangalore Royal Challengers, $1,550,000), Luke Wright (unsold), Owais Shah (Delhi Daredevils, $375,000), Paul Collingwood (Delhi Daredevils, $275,000), Ravi Bopara (Kings XI Punjab, $450,000), Samit Patel (unsold).

NEW ZEALAND: Jesse Ryder (Bangalore Royal Challengers, $160,000), Kyle Mills (Mumbai Indians, $150,000).

SOUTH AFRICA: J P Duminy (Mumbai Indians, $950,000), Tyron Henderson (Rajasthan Royals, $650,000).

SRI LANKA: Thilan Thushara (Chennai Super Kings, $140,000).

WEST INDIES: Dwayne Smith (Deccan Chargers, $100,000), Fidel Edwards (Deccan Chargers, $150,000), Jerome Taylor (Kings XI Punjab, $150,000).

UNSOLD: Aaron Bird, Brett Geeves, Bryce McGain, Daniel Harris, Dominic Thornley, Jonathan Moss, Michael Dighton, Michael Hill, Phil Jacques, Shane Harwood, Steven Smith, Stuart Clark (All Australia), Shakib Al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal (Both Bangladesh), Luke Wright, Samit Patel (Both England), James Franklin (New Zealand), Gulam Bodi, Morne Van Wyk, Yusuf Abdullah (All South Africa), Chamara Kapugadera, Kaushalya Weereratne, Nuwan Kulasekara (All Sri Lanka), Kemar Roach, Kieron Pollard (Both West Indies).

Thanks for that kullibino. There's a few names in that unsold list that are quite surprising. Luke Wright, for example, can be a devastating batsman in limited overs cricket plus he's proved he can bowl right at the death. You would think that he would be at least worth a punt.

Edited by Shengus Khan