The Cricket Thread

bewlay

Just seen the press conference by Paine, the emergency captain. I can’t really see how any of those players can really come back into the dressing room. Poor guy was completely thrown under the bus, having to explain a situation he had nothing to do with.

LOcal media reporting Darren Lehmann will resign as coach within next 24 hours and also that Warner was the instigator of the ball tampering not Smith. Although that's supposedly from NSW or ex NSW players. Whatever the outcome I hope it includes Warner never representing Australia in any format of the game. 

The ideas that Lehmann didn't know, and that "the Leadership Group" consisted of just Smith and Warner are both laughable.

Looks like a whitewash.

Another life for Lehman after his 'black c***s' rant against Sri Lanka.

The ideas that Lehmann didn't know, and that "the Leadership Group" consisted of just Smith and Warner are both laughable.

Looks like a whitewash.

From the sounds of things, Smith and Warner won’t be playing for Australia any time soon, if ever.

I’m pretty sure Paine is in the leadership group, but knew nothing about it. Which makes Smith blaming the group as a whole pretty abhorrent.

Darren Lehman getting away with it doesn't look good at all.

Right. Which is why I think he’s being honest.

He appears to have given free rein to David Warner, if the Australian reports are to be believed. Even if it’s true, and he genuinely knew nothing about it, he appears weak. I’d imagine he’ll step down after this series.

The Australian Cricket Board seems even more like bumbling weasels than its English counterparts.

Seems strange that Lehmann didn't know what was going on but previous coaches have had issues with the players, although not as bad as this one. Micky Arthur with the homework rebels and John Buchanan, especially with Shane Warne. Some in the media here also calling for Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland to go on the basis that holding the position since 2001 is far too long.

Guest Moomintroll
How could the bowlers not have known?
Its been annoying me that people are not making more of that. I know, lets illegally affect the condition of the ball to induce reverse swing but not tell the bowlers who will benefit from it. At least two of them must have known as they would be shaping the ball into the batsman looking for it to reverse, can't be bothered checking but the quicks who were bowling at the time knew all about it.

Smith and Warner banned from all international and representational cricket for a year. Bancroft for nine months. In addition, Warner will never be allowed to captain an Australia side at any level. Statement makes it very clear that Warner made Bancroft do it, and Smith did nothing to stop it when he found out.

Could argue it’s very harsh on Smith and Bancroft, and lenient on Warner - although in reality his test career is likely over.

It was obvious that Warner would be thrown under the bus, less talented than Smith and much older than Bancroft, who I doubt had much to do with it other than the actual tampering.

The way it has been stated it does seem harsh on Smith as he was merely negligent, which makes me think he was more involved than stated.

It's not harsh on Smith at all imo, as captain he is responsible for his team's conduct and he should have told Warner to f**k off. The laws are quite explicit about that.

41.1 Fair and unfair play – responsibility of captains

The captains are responsible for ensuring that play is conducted within The Spirit of Cricket, as described in The Preamble – The Spirit of Cricket, as well as within the Laws.

He knew it was happening and should have stopped it, he's lucky only to get a year imo.